Details on Jony Ive's 'Very, Very Flat' Design for iOS 7

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 29, 2013.

1. phillipduran macrumors 65816

phillipduran

What looks beautiful? Are there some leaked screenshots of iOS 7 I missed in the links?

2. calisurfboy macrumors regular

calisurfboy

My dad, who is 68, recently purchased an iPhone and I received about a dozen calls within the first five minutes on how to use the phone.

For starters, there is no instruction manual of sorts included with the iPhone and so you have to rely upon "ease of use" to use it. Unfortunately, many of the things my father was looking for was buried deep within the iOS.

I think, besides a cosmetics update, the main structure of iOS needs fine tuning. Too many windows or clicks to get to what you need or you find its spread across several areas and not centralized.

It would be nice to have a central page with widgets for information you constantly are checking or need instead of having to click on repeated apps to find that information. Also, the ability to multi task or have two apps open on the same screen would be very helpful. Its difficult flipping back and forth when trying to find and type in phone numbers, links, etc.

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Please remove the graveyard-grey from OS X. Thanks!

4. Northgrove macrumors 65816

I like this in combination with the latest rumors on "power user" features in OS X 10.9. Interesting coincidence... I wonder if there's a common man on top of both these teams that thinks Apple may have gone too far in simplifying things, and tries to strike a better balance.

I think this is at least as interesting rumors as the flatter look, which was pretty much a given. This? Not as much so.

5. vmachiel macrumors 68000

6. phillipduran macrumors 65816

phillipduran

Hahaha. They need some sort of metric to measure how flat their OS is.

"Introducing iOS 7. The worlds flattest mobile operating system."

7. blucurv macrumors regular

Flat is a Misconception

Skeumorphism has a place in UI design, but it shouldn't be used without any real purpose. Take the button as an example, you know you can click on it, because that's how real buttons look like in the physical world. In contrast, leather stitching could come off as somewhat gimicky and can make things look outdated really fast.

I don't think Ive's goal is to make things look flat. I strongly believe that he will try to modernize the look & feel so that it feels cohesive with the hardware. The same reason we had the bubbly candy buttons, which felt cohesive with the iMacs back when OSX was introduced with the Translucent iMac.

It's the 80/20 rule, if something is useless, get rid of it. As much as how pretty I think iCal looks like on my iPad, I really feel that it could function better. Yet it doesn't and that's why I don't use iCal at all. Same with the Podcast app. Make it more useful and easy, and I'll use it. Decorate the heck out of it and I ignore it.

If you look at the current iOS hardware lineup, you'll realize that Jonny doesn't make flat and boring designs. They're fresh and energetic. I can't wait for the iOS to carry the same level of freshness.

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

This is about bringing Ive's minimalist hardware design philosophy (the same philosophy he's had since the first Aluminum MacBook) to the software. It's not about piggybacking on popular trends.

And obviously, iOS 7 will be more than just a theme change...

9. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Sounds exciting - looking forward to WWDC MMXIII!

10. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

At this rate, in a few years, it'll be as flat as YO MAMA!!

11. camnchar macrumors 6502

camnchar

The new podcast inferface is a huge improvement over the previous iteration. I'm looking forward to a unified look across all of Apple's apps.

12. bushido Suspended

bushido

assume we will see more like the current Music app on the iPhone.

i hate how their design is all over the place now. every app looks different while some havent even changed since 2007

by the way, from my experience the iPhone isnt easy to use AT ALL for noobs that have never used iTunes before.

13. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The new Yahoo weather app is probably what Apple will do with it's weather app. Also people won't be able to say Apple copied android since it incorporated Yahoo weather into the system.

That's a clue right there.

;)

14. Skika macrumors 68030

Talk about being desperate.

I dont mean Apple, but you.

15. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

iOS 7=System 7?

[​IMG]

Yeah, right.... Flatness is just what Apple needs to compete with Android... :rolleyes:

16. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Shame on the tech media for equating "flat" design with Windows 8. I doubt Windows 8 is the only way to represent a flat design aesthetic. :rolleyes:

17. Michael Scrip macrumors 68040

But Samsung told me that the iPhone is for old people...

:confused:

18. Mr.damien Guest

19. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

I really hope that is the direction they are taking it. very elegant and more user friendly imo

20. Bahamut Eos macrumors member

Bahamut Eos

Flater?

More like thinner. Apple loves making things thin, even the UI.

21. iSimx macrumors 6502

iSimx

22. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Swiping left and right between open apps is a given.

It's already in the iPad version.

23. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I hate skeuomorphism so I say bring it. I also hope it brings new mutitasking and more glanceable information as the article also says.

24. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Yeah, the 6 year old glossy buttons and text messages look horrbile. On the other hand I don't want it all flat, something in between, so the buttons would look like buttons, which improves UX. Also if the UI goes well with the 3rd party app icons like now, that will be great. :)

25. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

All I want is to choose default apps for email, browser, maps etc....