Details on Jony Ive's 'Very, Very Flat' Design for iOS 7

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 29, 2013.

1. iPaf macrumors regular

App Store, nothing's going to beat that!

2. DouglasDubya macrumors newbie

This. The Yahoo Weather app is the latest to replace a stock app on my 5. It is so fresh, so good-looking and has such a wealth of information it was a no brainer. I'm hoping this is somewhat like what Apple is up to.

Gmail/Chrome/Maps are all other apps that have replaced stock apps, just because they look and function sooo much better than the old worn-out stock apps.

3. bag of kittens macrumors regular

bag of kittens

I don't care what they do with iOS 7, as long as they make Safari snappier!!!!

4. phillipduran macrumors 65816

phillipduran

Did you know that the volume knob in the music app changes its "reflection" if you move the phone/ipod around?

I hope we don't lose that when we go 2D with iOS 7.

5. iTeleport macrumors member

For once I'm genuinely excited about an Apple update. Flat design is awesome, I've always hated gloss and reflections. Keep it simple!

6. Codyak macrumors 6502

This and switching Google Now for Siri (button wise) are some of the reasons I've jailbroken mine.

7. komodrone macrumors 6502

Last I checked, this site is called MacRumors.

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

No.

While it's true that Windows 8 is very flat in that it lacks shine and gloss, I believe that the OS design they're describing is going to lack corners (unlike Windows 8 which is full of corners) and it'll also turn down the saturation (the way that OS X has slowly lost its shades of blue in favor of shades of gray.)

I'm in favor of iOS ditching some of its excess bubbliness. (Like notification pop ups.)

9. bushido Suspended

bushido

i hate the freaking pop up bubbles that have been there since the beginning and dont go with anything on the OS anymore. they need to be more "flat" and modern

10. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

The look is important, but not nearly as important as the functionality and ease of use, so it's good to hear they're not messing with that too much.

11. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Any visual changes are welcome IMO, so bored of looking at the same icons and folders ;)

----------

Amen on the bubbles!

12. charliex5 macrumors regular

No, "copy and paste" definitely was. :)

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I love the new Yahoo weather app. If this is the direction Apple goes in then home run. :)

14. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

Jailbreak your phone and make it easier to navigate... :cool:

15. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

I think if there's a new iOS UI, it wouldn't be all flat like Windows 8. While it should look good, it is horrible when in use. It is hard to tell where one place start and ends in an Outlook tablet app.

Majority of 3rd party apps don't have a "shiny or gloss" to them these days anyways, think Yahoo Weather App.

So I think the new UI will be flatter but not just a solid flatness like Windows 8.

16. Wolffie macrumors regular

Wolffie

Manuals

I hate it when people claim there are no manuals...
    First place I send people with new iOS gadgets

http://support.apple.com/manuals/iphone/
    http://support.apple.com/iphone/
    Bookmarks, last one, User Guide

Sorry they are not printed on paper.

17. henrystar macrumors regular

Wrong! Clean and simple and easy to use, no silly distractions ("leather stitching" junk, etc.). This is a fundamental transition in human history. Apple will slowly take over the world with an integrated system and everyone will want to be on board, not left out with gimmicky "competitors."

18. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

It's similar to what Google Now looks like, and most of Google's products. No gloss, no gradients, mostly just solid colors. You can find some website examples here: http://fltdsgn.com/

19. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

How iOS looks right now is the opposite of flat.

20. mozumder macrumors 6502a

Finally.

Adults should never use color gradients in anything.

21. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

To be quite honest, I wish Apple would just let Yahoo's be the stock apps much like they did with Google Maps for so long. Difference being, they aren't competing with Yahoo here and Yahoo needs the mobile presence.

The Yahoo weather app is awesome :D

22. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Some Apple developers went on vacation in Austria it seems :D

23. bushido Suspended

bushido

u have no idea how many people come to the store i used to work at as a student who asked me where the iTunes cd is cuz they cannot find it anywhere. i told them to download it from the apple page and they were like huh how do i find that? and this actually required people knowing that they need something called "itunes" thats a whole difference story

24. 2bikes macrumors 6502

When will Samsung say they have been working on a flat design?