Developers Begin Receiving Mac Mini With A12Z Chip to Prepare Apps for Apple Silicon Macs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of WWDC last week, Apple announced that it will be switching to its own custom-designed processors for Macs starting later this year. As part of this transition, the company is allowing developers to apply for a modified Mac mini with an A12Z chip and 16GB of RAM to develop and test their apps on a Mac with Arm-based architecture.

As noted on Twitter and in the MacRumors forums, some developers are now beginning to receive this Mac mini, which is officially known as the "Developer Transition Kit."

Image Credit: Axel Roest

Apple promises that its Macs with custom chips will have industry-leading performance per watt. Apple said it plans to ship the first Mac with its own silicon by the end of the year and complete the transition in about two years. One of the first Apple Silicon Macs will be a redesigned 24-inch iMac in late 2020, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Apple said that it will continue to support and release new versions of macOS for Intel-based Macs for years to come, and it also confirmed that it still has some new Intel-based Macs in development in the interim.

Article Link: Developers Begin Receiving Mac Mini With A12Z Chip to Prepare Apps for Apple Silicon Macs

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Are the DTK supposed to be representative of low-end Macs, mid-level or high-end Macs? Just asking because in the Keynote they emulated Maya/Tomb Raider to amazing results (given that it is beta hardware/software).

People who did the DTK in 2005 may be able to shed light on how those machines were, for comparison.

Royksöpp

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2013
Will the Arm chips require an additional GPU or will it all come down to the SOC?

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Are the DTK supposed to be representative of low-end Macs, mid-level or high-end Macs? Just asking because in the Keynote they emulated Maya/Tomb Raider to amazing results (given that it is beta hardware/software).

People who did the DTK in 2005 may be able to shed light on how those machines were, for comparison.
Amazing results? It was at 1080p and looked horrible.

amartinez1660

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
I wonder if developers have to sign NDAs regarding performance testing on the A12Z chip. I would like to see what it really can do versus an i7 or i9 without the Apple propaganda.
That you can see a bit by heading to geekbench’s website on the browser section and check for single core, multi core and compute benchmarks, while also checking iOS benchmarks of the same. You will be surprised if you check for example 2018’s iPad Pro 11”... totally up to par with 2020s high-end Intel 10th gen for macbooks (minus multi core scores, not quite there yet).
Time permitting I’ll come back and post them.

———
Benchmark numbers comparison posted but by now buried on the sixth page if you feel like hunting down for it.
As promised, here are the numbers, I was actually wrong. Actually 2018 iPad CPUs are pretty much up to par on all benchmark related scores when compared to MBP 2020 10th gen highest end CPUs. Even multicore scores are faster on iPads.

Last edited:

Cookie18

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
France

They’re not supposed to be representative of anything. They’re for developers to convert their apps to Apple Silicon Mac OS. The chips inside of these are two years old at this point. Whatever we end up getting will be significantly more powerful. This isn’t even close to what we will actually be buying.

ondert

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2017
Italy
Yeah, most people think it was driving an XDR display at full resolution but in fact it was set at 1080p. Also, that tomb raider gameplay looked like garbage. Hopefully, we'll get properly scaled 5nm A14 variants on the upcoming Macs.

Reactions: AccenT

alien3dx

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2017
hope for any review but I still test ios14 using my current computer. For normal mobile developer might not much for apps developer in mac maybe really2 needed.

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Now the real comparison apple to apple begins
If this mac mini is better than the base current mac mini with 16gb ram, than this is an real win, since the first arm mac will be an 8-12 cores cpu and far better gpu
- - Post merged: - -

it was 1080p, which is base config, under emulation of rosetta 2, so i guess first base mac 12 core cpu will run on v high 1440p, again UNDER rosetta, and keep in mind it will be the 13" MBP. Tell me if the current 13" Mbp with its iGpu can run 1440p on high that game under bootcamp at 60fps. i think people who make these judgements dont understand coding and the platform transition

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.