Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

With Apple's Mac App Store set to debut in just two days, developers are beginning to set expectations for their applications, particularly in comparison to their other applications already available through the iOS App Store. On his blog The Pocket Cyclone, developer Markus Nigrin shares the results of a discussion he recently held with several other prominent iOS App Store developers moving their apps to the Mac App Store in the first wave of releases.

150950-mac_app_store_devs_500.jpg

For the most part, Nigrin's results show that iOS developers moving their apps to the Mac App Store are looking to maintain their existing price points, which frequently fall in the $1.99-$4.99 price range.
Why does a 1:1 adoption of the price on the Mac seem so natural for iOS devs?

For once, Apple made the code re-use for a native Mac app very straightforward. Every dev I talked to mentioned porting times of less than four weeks. Which were mostly spent on all types of adjustments, like keyboard and HD support. Also, graphical assets for mobile games are typically originated at a much higher resolution anyway, as everybody in the iOS world needs to prepare for a foreseeable future of HD displays. The point is, if you already have the assets and re-creating a native Mac app is relatively low-cost, there is no immediate pressure to go with another pricing model on this platform, if the reward could be an early (chart) success.
As far as expectations for sales units go, developers seem to be split, with several of the surveyed developers offering conservative estimates of only 10% of that seen for the corresponding iOS titles, while others have pushed their expectations to as high as double that seen on the iOS platform. Sales splits between iOS and Mac versions will obviously vary based on a wide range of criteria, including the usefulness of certain types of apps on the two platforms and the overall user experience, where some apps may see more benefit than others in either the portable multi-touch environment of iOS or the larger-screen, pointer-driven Mac environment.

Article Link: Developers Setting Expectations Ahead of Mac App Store Launch

macintologist

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
What's going to happen with apps like Rapidweaver? They charge $79. I'm sure with the App store there will be more volume and they will be forced to lower prices. Especially with no demos.

Comment

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
What's going to happen with apps like Rapidweaver? They charge $79. I'm sure with the App store there will be more volume and they will be forced to lower prices. Especially with no demos.

They can continue selling it the usual way without App Store.

Comment

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm def getting chopper

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Wow... cool that iOS apps can port to easily. Could be very interesting. I didn't realize this was so easy. I big plus for Apple on that!

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I'd be interested in seeing what the app store is like & how well it does. I can see it doing very well. But hopefully, imo, not so well that Apple decides to make it the only place to get Mac apps as it stands now. The Mac App Store will be a good, central place to get the basic consumer-level apps, but I doubt we'll see truly professional-grade apps like Adobe Photoshop or something. But I'm not going to concern myself with that right now. I'm just going to wait and see how it goes and see what Apple does with it.

Why do I get the feeling that Apple's servers will crash or be very slow on the first day or 2 of the app store opening?

Comment

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
very interesting. Pricing like this will certainly be a benefit to Mac sales. From a consumer perspective, Macs are just that much more like the idevices.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Apple's plan is becoming clearer.

Everyone thought the Mac app store was just a way to better sell Mac apps. But it's really not. (Acorn or iLife will be fine with or without this store.)

No, this is an attempt to bring some of the iOS developers over to the Mac...someplace they would not have thought to tread before this.

Looks like it's gonna work.

Comment

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
If it really is for this purpose then I'm actually quite excited about it. Nobody gets shafted.

Comment

medster17

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
Switzerland

Everyone thought the Mac app store was just a way to better sell Mac apps. But it's really not. (Acorn or iLife will be fine with or without this store.)

No, this is an attempt to bring some of the iOS developers over to the Mac...someplace they would not have thought to tread before this.

Agreed, I think it's a genius idea on their part and can't wait to see what's available on the 6th.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY

Absolutely agree with this statement. It looks like the same strategy as with the iOS devices, the actual device is only 20% of the attraction and the software is the remaining 80%. Genius strategy.

Comment

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
I received a very interesting publicity blurb from one developer whose stuff is going to be sold through the store. Let me quote a few parts of it:

a) Our apps will still be available for purchase on our online store. And also, on the Mac App Store.

b) There is no way to "import" a license into the App Store. If you purchased a license on our online store, you will have to keep on using the app that is distributed outside Apple's App Store.

c) There are two actual versions of each application, one will be available on the App Store, and the other one will be available outside the App Store. Both versions will be getting updates regularly, at the same time...All the applications available on the App Store have to be tested, and approved by Apple. We developers get a set of guidelines that we have to stick to. That means that a feature that might be available in the out-of-the-store version might not be available in the App Store version, for a given application. Usually, the most feature-rich version will be the one available outside the App Store.

Comment

DrRadon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2008
I hope they alow a filter that lets you ignore all the crapy facebook like pay and wait games.

So in relation to the iPad... how do you guys see the AppStore opening? Dos this instantly mean way more resolution on the ipad (i was toled it needs to be at least 4 times as much to work properly)?
And how long will it take to have soled enough for Steve to be able to go "In just X we already soled xxxxxxxxx Apps on tze n3w OSX AppStore!!11" - You´ed think they´ed give this a cupple of weeks to settle in before doing a media event.. so talking about it will be more than just a rehash of the last event in that relation.

Comment

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I don't know how I feel about paying for the same App 3 times for apps that are being ported from iOS (iPhone/iPad/Mac), and each version more expensive than the previous.

For me, the Mac App Store is going to be a place to buy/discover new Mac Applications, I'll don't need Air Hockey on my iMac/MacBook Pro.

Comment

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area
I hope they alow a filter that lets you ignore all the crapy facebook like pay and wait games.

So in relation to the iPad... how do you guys see the AppStore opening? Dos this instantly mean way more resolution on the ipad (i was toled it needs to be at least 4 times as much to work properly)?
And how long will it take to have soled enough for Steve to be able to go "In just X we already soled xxxxxxxxx Apps on tze n3w OSX AppStore!!11" - You´ed think they´ed give this a cupple of weeks to settle in before doing a media event.. so talking about it will be more than just a rehash of the last event in that relation.

HUH?!?! i didnt understand ANYTHING you wrote....

Comment

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area
I don't know how I feel about paying for the same App 3 times for apps that are being ported from iOS (iPhone/iPad/Mac), and each version more expensive than the previous.

For me, the Mac App Store is going to be a place to buy/discover new Mac Applications, I'll don't need Air Hockey on my iMac/MacBook Pro.

no...BUT i could def go for seeing some angry birds flyin across my 27 inch iMac tho!!! :D

Comment

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
iOS games converted to OS X? No thanks! Original OS X apps with competitive pricing? Yes, please!

Comment

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
no...BUT i could def go for seeing some angry birds flyin across my 27 inch iMac tho!!! :D

I would consider Angry Birds and Words with Friends (if they come to the Mac App Store), but other games like Flight Control and Plants vs Zombies will stay on my iPad/iPhone.

Comment

shervieux

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
Can't wait til the 6th

Like seeing that prices will be pretty close to the same.

What I am hoping for is that iwork 11 will be there. I skipped the last version, but now my ipad created docs are no longer compatible unless I export them as word docs.

Also, I hope they allow you to buy ilife apps separately. All I need is the new imovie.

Looking forward to the day when our ipad/iphone apps run natively and data stays in sync on the mac.

Comment

YSR50

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2004
I would consider Angry Birds and Words with Friends (if they come to the Mac App Store), but other games like Flight Control and Plants vs Zombies will stay on my iPad/iPhone.

same here. angry birds just announced they're on appup.com (windoze only) so hopefully we'll see them Thursday for the mac

Comment

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
The iOS apps appear to be similar to dashboard widgets. Look at the stock app for an example. The biggest difference in the environments is that multiple widgets can run side by side in Dashboard.

So will these apps purchased through the Mac App Store run in Dashboard? Or will Lion do away with Dashboard and move the widget/apps into normal windows within the OS? Maybe the user will have the option of running it in either location?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.