Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I have both of these cases, target got the FitFolio in today so ipicked one up. I really like the quality of the Speck, it is slimmer than the Devicewear, also the mags work and I like that it has a snap close.

It will also do the alternative typing position like the Devicewear. My two cents are they are both great cases, but I prefer the Speck.

The back of the speck is open like before but honestly I see as a non issue.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I have both of these cases, target got the FitFolio in today so ipicked one up. I really like the quality of the Speck, it is slimmer than the Devicewear, also the mags work and I like that it has a snap close.

It will also do the alternative typing position like the Devicewear. My two cents are they are both great cases, but I prefer the Speck.

Pictures?

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008

thanks for making this thread.. does the snap close get in the way of holding it in book mode? and doesnt the Devicewear Ridge use magnets instead to keep it closed? how about the quality and feel of the plastic casing?

jeme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Plastic casing is exactly the same, Speck is a bit thinner and does not cover the entire back, I hold it on the left side with one finger along the back of the iPad, I do not think the snap gets in the way at all. Quality of the vegan leather is nice, Speck seems of a bit height quality.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
I've noticed that my Ridge will trigger the sleep/awake in book mode if shifted like the pic below. Can you replicate this on yours and does the FitFolio do this?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334418354.499921.jpg

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Plastic casing is exactly the same, Speck is a bit thinner and does not cover the entire back, I hold it on the left side with one finger along the back of the iPad, I do not think the snap gets in the way at all. Quality of the vegan leather is nice, Speck seems of a bit height quality.

Had an email from Speck with this case advertised here in the UK...Thanks for the info...Looks pretty much the same as the Targus I have, but probably better quality.

will25u

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
Yep, same thing happens to me with mine. I have to fold it back the other direction to avoid this from occurring. Kind of a pain cause it does not fold back evenly the other way.

Mine does the same. It's annoying as hell... OP does the fitfolio have this problem?

eBalut

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
I've noticed that my Ridge will trigger the sleep/awake in book mode if shifted like the pic below. Can you replicate this on yours and does the FitFolio do this?

View attachment 335737

I stopped by target and got the black FitFolio today. I had been using the Ridge, but decided to return the Ridge and keep the FitFolio. It's a few bucks more, but I did not like the way the Ridge folded when I held it in book mode (just like in your picture). Also, it went to sleep once in book mode. Finally, I like the clasp on the FitFolio more than the magnet on the Ridge. I never had a problem with the magnet holding the flap to the iPad with the Ridge, but I like the extra security of the clasp.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
I stopped by target and got the black FitFolio today. I had been using the Ridge, but decided to return the Ridge and keep the FitFolio. It's a few bucks more, but I did not like the way the Ridge folded when I held it in book mode (just like in your picture). Also, it went to sleep once in book mode. Finally, I like the clasp on the FitFolio more than the magnet on the Ridge. I never had a problem with the magnet holding the flap to the iPad with the Ridge, but I like the extra security of the clasp.

So the FitFolio does not shift unaligned to the cover in book mode? What about the interior material? Is it velvet/felt like the Ridge?

Deceptor

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
Had an email from Speck with this case advertised here in the UK...Thanks for the info...Looks pretty much the same as the Targus I have, but probably better quality.

You had an e-mail from Speck (I smell a troll).

eBalut

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
So the FitFolio does not shift unaligned to the cover in book mode? What about the interior material? Is it velvet/felt like the Ridge?

Correct. It does not shift when folded back in book mode, but folds back straight. The inside is velvet soft materiel just like the Ridge case.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
I ran to two target stores after reading this post, and none of them have speck case.

target site does not have it either. where are your target?

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I ran to two target stores after reading this post, and none of them have speck case.

target site does not have it either. where are your target?

I am at my local target right now and they have the plaid one bad flower one here. I may check out the plaid. The turning on and off with the devicewear when it is folded in book mode is a real pain. I wish my Target had the black one though...ugh. Decisions.

will25u

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
I am at my local target right now and they have the plaid one bad flower one here. I may check out the plaid. The turning on and off with the devicewear when it is folded in book mode is a real pain. I wish my Target had the black one though...ugh. Decisions.

Does it shift when in book mode like the ridge?

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
View attachment 335787 decided to try it out. More to come later.

looking forward to your comparisons and opinions!
The ridge, as well as the fitfolio and belkin leather cinema folio are the three I have under consideration. was leaning against the FitFolio because of the partially exposed back and the plastic snapping clip but seems like those may not be issues.

I do often use my ipad in "book" mode as I do alot of PDF annotation, so this is also important.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
I am using speck Fitfolio for iPad 2 on my iPad 3. Exposed back is an advantage. It allows the heat on the back to escape. Once you close it, your iPad is protected.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
anyone got speck fitfolio case from Target. Do you mind post the sku number? I wan to search on target site.

NAYo2002

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
They have the fit-folio at target in Alhambra, CA. Looks nice but I want to wait for a few reviews before buying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.