Did Anyone Drop Test their MBA accidentally :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Appleind, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Appleind, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

Did Anyone Drop Test a MacBook Air already. I do not want the inevitable to happen to my MBA but worth knowing what's the fate :rolleyes:

2. Corax macrumors 6502

Corax

I'm not planning to drop mine, but when it would happen...:eek: I'll report it here.

3. Appleind thread starter macrumors regular

Appleind

Lol

Dont wanna pick up a fight with my GF with the MBA around. It has sharp edges:eek:

4. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

As usual, the aluminum case is easy to get ding. Mine already got one

5. T4R06 macrumors 65816

OP- do you mean intentionally dropping MBA for a "test"? Or accidentally dropped?

No one here is crazy enough to do the drop "test" on a new MBA..

Try on yours. Report it back..

6. bamf macrumors 6502

I'll do mine after you report back how your test went. I swear... :p

7. Appleind thread starter macrumors regular

Appleind

I was referring to an accidental drop as a drop test :). I am sure no one on the forum would wanna drop their's. I will report when i drop mine. Hopefully not soon.

8. em4nu3l, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

em4nu3l macrumors newbie

macbook air 11.6" 1.4 2gb 128gb

I saw this forum the other month and made sure i would come back if i ever dropped mine, so i signed up and here I am. Alright, so...today i went into the store and didnt want to leave my air in the truck for obvious reasons. I went to the pisser before i left and when i went to wash my hands i put my air on the sink... next thing i know its on the tile floor 4 feet under -_____- it landed on the top left corner (which is the thinner side) so it hit pretty hard and left a good dent. I coulda sworn that i cracked the screen, but i didnt, and everythings working fine. so im pretty happy and now it has some sick battle wounds brooo

9. monaarts macrumors 65816

I dropped mine while getting it out of it's case. I thought I had a good grip of the laptop through the case, but apparently didnt. It fell about 4 feet onto the tile floor I was standing on. The back left corner hit the tile and then it kind out bounced and hit the bottom pretty hard. The ONLY damage is a decent ding in the corner - it almost looks like a chunk of the metal was cut off, but it wasn't. See the pic. Overall, I was pretty relieved about the damage control. LOL

- Joe

Attached Files:

10. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Wow, what a trooper :)

11. iRun26.2, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Don't toss your MBA on the airplane seat (like me)!

I hand carried my 11.6" MBA onto an airplane and planned to set it on my 'window seat' and then stow my carry on (backpack) above. Both the aisle and middle seat were already taken so I thought I'd just toss it to my seat from the aisle. The person in the middle seat thought that I intended to pass it to him to place on the seat so it got deflected off his hand, bounced off of my seat, bounced on the floor and then finally landed again on the floor.

I was a not pleased that I had been so careless. Luckily for me, the carpet on the plane and the sleeve on the MBA protected it completely. I seems to still look every now and then but I can not find even a little 'ding' on it anywhere.

Call me a 'fanboy'...but I think this MBA is very well made!

(I also think the fact that the thing is so light at only 2.3lbs really helped it avoid any damage...I never would have tossed it at all had it not had a SSD)

12. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

maybe you need a old ibook clam ;-) could drop kick the puppy and nothing happen

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I dropped mine about 5 feet onto carpet. It hit on the thin edge but no damage at all.

14. negatv1 macrumors 6502

I accidentally dropped mine in the trash can as I was dropping some other bags in. Luckily, it was in it's case (Awesome Timbuk2 Quickie XS case) and had a relatively soft landing on some other bags already in the can, and both the bag and (more importantly) the Air was completely unharmed.

And that is when you really realize how small/light this thing is.

15. 2IS macrumors 68030

I dropped mine... Was setting up a projector and was too lazy to grab a ladder so I used a 3" table that was in the room which also had my MBA 13" on it. As I was coming down from the table it started to tip. Had to save myself and jumped off and watched in slow-motion as the table along with my MBA came crashing down. There was no damage, it was still on and responsive. Good thing to as my MBA was less than a week old at that point.

16. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

My Air fell about five feet off a bookshelf shelf while open, and landed hard on tile on the back left corner. Left a little dent, but the machine still works fine, opens and closes fine, and was otherwise unfazed. That's my little trooper :)

Attached Files:

17. Appleind thread starter macrumors regular

Appleind

Wow lucky

18. bri1232001 macrumors newbie

I dropped mine onto a tiled floor from about 4 feet accidentally as it slipped out of a sleeve i was holding less than horizontally.

No visible damage. Damn am I lucky.

19. 2IS macrumors 68030

I recently dropped mine (again) this time onto a tiled floor. Tiny dent on one of the tapered corners. Probably not even noticeable to most people unless it was pointed out. Functionality of the machine has not been compromised in any way.

20. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

You sound pretty clumsy/unlucky lol

21. 2IS macrumors 68030

Poor judgement on where I leave it is probably more accurate. I've never actually dropped it while it was in my physical possession.

22. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Realizing that accidents can happen… you'd have to be a major klutz or not paying attention to drop a laptop. I've owned several laptops over many years and have not once dropped any of them. Not even close. It's easy… just take a few seconds to think about what you are doing whenever you handle it. In my opinion, the only accidents that are acceptable are those that you have absolutely no control over. Like someone else dropping it, or slipping on ice, or getting caught up in a natural disaster.

23. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

How does a laptop fall off a bookshelf? Earthquake? Poorly positioned? Sudden gust of wind? :confused:

24. 2IS macrumors 68030

Some of us just aren't as cool as you are.

25. Poisoned1 macrumors member

The only time I've dropped a laptop was when I found this cool video on youtube and went to show my younger brother. While walking, almost running, through our kitchen thats tiled I almost slipped with my socks on and dropped my laptop. Good thing the laptop was just bought and i had the accidental damage policy from bestbuy, i returned it and they gave me a new one. I certainly learned my lesson. "Don't run with scissors" is not the only item that saying should apply to... lol.