Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
A lot of people don’t make the connection between finishes on the watches being vastly different or premium unless they are clued up on what Apple offer.

This. It really boils down to what finish you want to live with for the rest of its time with you. Most people can't even tell the difference of my space black AW S4 vs the aluminum space gray S4 but I can, hence the decision.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
This. It really boils down to what finish you want to live with for the rest of its time with you. Most people can't even tell the difference of my space black AW S4 vs the aluminum space gray S4 but I can, hence the decision.
Oh course it does yeah. The finish that confuses me the most is the ceramic. I saw it in person for the first time the other day and for the life of me I can’t see the appeal of paying £1399 for an AW that looks like it’s plastic? I know it’s very niche but in my humble opinion it’s the ugliest of the lot.

Goodison

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2019
In answer to the original question, having seen both finishes I personally could see little differences. Both dull and boring looking IMO.

Much prefer the “pop” of the SS. I understand others reasons for going for the cheaper Alluminium model if you’re going to be upgrading every 12 or 24 months I totally get that, but for me personally I still have to enjoy wearing the watch for those 12/24 months.

I enjoy wearing the SS more than I would the others so that will always be my choice even if it comes at a cost.

Good that there’s choice though.

Reactions: Givmeabrek

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Midnight green stainless steel... mmmmm...

Yeah, I don’t think that color would fly with Apple. If you look at the Apple Watch, traditionally, it’s using watch colors that have been fairly exposed in the market for years, with [gold/silver/space gray], etc. That would probably be a very unpopular color, simply because band pairing would be limited and it might look slightly awkward with outfits.

Reactions: jhfenton

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
The titanium models are locked up in a drawer that an employee needs to unlock and show to you.

I very much doubt a customer intentionally damaged the watch in front of the employee.

Either way must not be very durable against scratches.

Had a similar experience today. I walked in to try on the titanium as I like the styling and it would be a nice alternative to my SSSB S4. The lad had to take the watch out of a locked draw to show me and when I was inspecting it, I could see 3-4 scratches. He seen me checking it over and was just as surprised as me, he said it had only been with them 24-36 hours but agreed it had been scratched.

I'm hoping it's just teething problems with the initial batches as I still prefer the titanium over the SS silver but at that price, I don't expect it to scratch that fast. Especially coming from a SSSB which seems like it's bomb proof.

• Wow
Reactions: Dopestar

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

It becomes even more moot if someone knows what the finishes look like they know to look at the red circle on the crown, which is going to be more apparent than the finish anyway.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Having seen and handled both ti and ss models in the flesh, much prefer ti.
Found SS too shiny.

For me the band that complements both perfectly is the anchor grey sports loop.
Altho I presume that sweat would destroy that band over time.

Both Ti finishes looked nice altho I did not dig the light grey sports band that
comes free with the normal Ti finish.

The SB Ti comes with a free dark grey sports band which complements
it well.

So if I get one it will be SB Ti with anchor grey sports loop.

N54TT

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2013
Both of my past Apple watches have been SS and wanted something different. I can easily tell the difference between aluminum and titanium, like the brushed look and wanted a sapphire crystal face(rules out the aluminum watches). The titanium also matches pretty well with my brushed SS band. I don’t think pictures do it justice....be here are some pics.

8CE6A198-E254-4B6B-9824-9C4BA4DFA614.jpeg
C149B93E-423F-4F28-9A73-60E0E09E39FD.jpeg

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Its laughable in your income bracket yes....because its so foreign to you as a concept. People in higher income brackets don't put weight on the same amount of money as you; and can't fathom your perspective. For instance; a person who purchases roses for their foyer occasionally; even though they wilt quickly. Would you do that? hell no; but like i said, its beyond your comprehension and doesn't make sense.
How do you know how much that person earns with your rather bold statement? Assuming people who question the cost of Apple products must be low earners is a very foolish perspective. There’s a lot of members here who could easily afford these products but still question the value.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Both Ti finishes looked nice altho I did not dig the light grey sports band that
comes free
with the normal Ti finish.

The SB Ti comes with a free dark grey sports band which complements
it well.

I just got to point this out, those bands included with the titanium edition Apple Watch, they’re _not_ free, you’re paying for them, as it’s it’s included in the purchase. Nothing Apple sells when it comes to selling core products like the Apple Watch offers anything free.

It’s like saying I Purchased a new iPhone, but there including a ‘free’ pair of earbuds, charging cable and charging brick, none of which is free. 😁

Reactions: tl01 and dermike

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
How do you know how much that person earns with your rather bold statement? Assuming people who question the cost of Apple products must be low earners is a very foolish perspective. There’s a lot of members here who could easily afford these products but still question the value.

well, i was hoping for the other guy to reply, but you are helping me make my point from his earlier post. How foolish is it to judge anyone's purchase. If someone deems it worthy to buy titanium EVEN THOUGH in one year they will upgrade to a new version, how is that laughable by any means?

If you can recognize that my post was a foolish perspective, then that guy should recognize his post was a foolish perspective.

So now whatsup

Reactions: ivetteli

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
well, i was hoping for the other guy to reply, but you are helping me make my point from his earlier post. How foolish is it to judge anyone's purchase. If someone deems it worthy to buy titanium EVEN THOUGH in one year they will upgrade to a new version, how is that laughable by any means?

If you can recognize that my post was a foolish perspective, then that guy should recognize his post was a foolish perspective.

So now whatsup
I agree both are foolish perspectives. Placing assumptions on someone’s wealth based on which model AW they buy is stupid. The fact we are all here because we’ve bought an AW shows we have a decent level of disposable income. Fussing over materials to justify purchases is a private matter.

Reactions: wileycoyote

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Something to note: I was surprised with how much I loved the titanium finish in person versus Apple’s photos. Apple’s product photography for this one really isn’t great. The titanium reflects light in rather nice and unique ways. It is something pretty special. I ultimately went stainless steel because I like the super shiny and prefer having the gold color. I also plan on doing monthly AppleCare and $4/month is a bit better than $5/month that the titanium costs.

Reactions: AJ44

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Something to note: I was surprised with how much I loved the titanium finish in person versus Apple’s photos. Apple’s product photography for this one really isn’t great. The titanium reflects light in rather nice and unique ways. It is something pretty special. I ultimately went stainless steel because I like the super shiny and prefer having the gold color. I also plan on doing monthly AppleCare and $4/month is a bit better than $5/month that the titanium costs.

I second this, I first I had said that the titanium is very much reflective of what the aluminum Apple Watch looks like, But you’re right, I don’t think Apple’s marketing photos capture the titanium finish very well. That’s why I always suggest to go in store, handle it, feel it, see it, to find out specifically if this watch is for you.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Being frugal with a watch is buying a £9.99 Casio. Even a £399 AW is not a cheap smart watch by any means, it just so happens to be the cheapest one Apple offer. It’s just as good as the more expensive ones besides preferences over screen coatings and casing materials. It’s amusing to see how posters on here feel they need to pick a side with their purchases and poke fun at those who buy cheaper or more expensive. It seems to happen with iPhones too and it’s this sort of snobbery I’m glad I never encounter away from the internet. Nobody is going to laugh at your iPhone 11 or your aluminium AW because they think you’re poor. They’ll admire your choice of a good quality brand. ;)

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Being frugal with a watch is buying a £9.99 Casio. Even a £399 AW is not a cheap smart watch by any means, it just so happens to be the cheapest one Apple offer. It’s just as good as the more expensive ones besides preferences over screen coatings and casing materials. It’s amusing to see how posters on here feel they need to pick a side with their purchases and poke fun at those who buy cheaper or more expensive. It seems to happen with iPhones too and it’s this sort of snobbery I’m glad I never encounter away from the internet. Nobody is going to laugh at your iPhone 11 or your aluminium AW because they think you’re poor. They’ll admire your choice of a good quality brand. ;)
exactly what i was saying. thank you

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

N54TT

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2013
I Was at the mall and stopped by the Apple store. The regular titanium looks nothing like any of the aluminum watches. The space gray aluminum and space black titanium are maybe similar but not the regular titanium. Here’s a pic of my titanium and sliver aluminum.

and before I get any more replies from people who don’t see my reply a couple posts down.
It does look pretty white. But There was a white ceramic in the case...the one in the pic is NOT it. And if you look at the dial it looks more silver. The ceramic has a white dial as well.
68DDFB6F-913E-4B4C-B6AB-3CAFADB34902.jpeg

Last edited:

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I Was at the mall and stopped by the Apple store. The regular titanium looks nothing like any of the aluminum watches. The space gray aluminum and space black titanium are maybe similar but not the regular titanium. Here’s a pic of my titanium and sliver aluminum.
View attachment 864951
You sure that’s the aluminum?

N54TT

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2013
You sure that’s the aluminum?
Uhh... the one on the left is _not_ aluminum, thats the white ceramic. Seems you don’t know the watch material differentials. ?

It does look pretty white. But There was a white ceramic in the case...the one in the pic is NOT it. If I cared to prove it I’d go back to the mall since it’s only a couple min away...but I don’t lol. And if you look at the dial it looks more silver. The ceramic has a white dial as well...who doesn’t know their material differentials now? :p

Last edited:

appleino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
I was completely set on the Ti as well and have had it sit in my cart since the day it was announced. However, I first wanted to compare all models in person and waited until the watches became available on 20 September. Very glad I did, to me the visual difference between the SB aluminum and titanium wasn't big enough to justify almost twice the price.

Even the Apple employer who was handling the watches that day told me he would never spend that much on a watch that looks so similar to the aluminum model and will basically be outdated next year (not sure whether he had attended any of Apple's internal marketing trainings, I still very much appreciated his honesty, though!).

Anyway, in the end I went for the SB aluminum and added Apple Care for peace of mind (I dropped my S3 on tiles a few weeks ago and the screen shattered to pieces). I might go for a SS whenever Apple will release the next major upgrade of the watch (apart from the always on display, there wasn't any other substantial upgrade over last year's model, imo), but for now I'm pretty happy the SB Ti model didn't look nice enough to me to justify the steep price. After all the reports about scratches, I'm not even sure the casing will hold up much better than the aluminum, only time will tell (and while the sapphire screen is of course less prone to scratches, it doesn't bother me too much thanks to Apple Care).

I also tried the SBSS model but for me none of the watch bands with a price tag of <GBP 99 worked well with the shiny steel. The new sport loops looked ridiculously thin and cheap and the black leather loop looked way too light / greyish compared to the deep black of the case. But that's personal taste, of course, and I wasn't interested in any of the steel band options, for example.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
It does look pretty white. But There was a white ceramic in the case...the one in the pic is NOT it. If I cared to prove it I’d go back to the mall since it’s only a couple min away...but I don’t lol. And if you look at the dial it looks more silver. The ceramic has a white dial as well...who doesn’t know their material differentials now? :p
No need to prove it. I was just saying, sorry if I implied anything.
I liked the Ti case. To me the the silver didn’t look anything like the Al but the space grey and ti looked close.
If anything I would buy the Ti over the SBSS.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
I honestly don't care whether people think I have Al, SS, or Ti AW, I simply like the look of Ti less than SS. Other factors,
  • Ti is much lighter than SS. Personally I prefer heavier watches, SS reminds you your watch is still on you and it feels more premium.
  • Ti scratches more easily than SS. I couldn't care less if it's 3x tougher I won't be scuba diving with my AW and I probably will be upgrading again in a few years.
  • Ti is only a novelty that Apple wants to market but functionality wise doesn't bring anything new. If it had a special Ti watch face I'd consider it more seriously.
  • Ti price is almost on par with SS. For $100 difference you get one band worth $49 and one extra year of AC+ pro-rated at $39.
  • And as you said look, personal preference again but I like my watch to look classic or like it's all screen so I'll go with SBSS.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
That’s what I thought but I like the titanium. It had a nice finish compared to the aluminum that looks dull. I like the subtlety.

Reactions: supertomtom

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I honestly don't care whether people think I have Al, SS, or Ti AW, I simply like the look of Ti less than SS. Other factors,
  • Ti is much lighter than SS. Personally I prefer heavier watches, SS reminds you your watch is still on you and it feels more premium.
  • Ti scratches more easily than SS. I couldn't care less if it's 3x tougher I won't be scuba diving with my AW and I probably will be upgrading again in a few years.
  • Ti is only a novelty that Apple wants to market but functionality wise doesn't bring anything new. If it had a special Ti watch face I'd consider it more seriously.
  • Ti price is almost on par with SS. For $100 difference you get one band worth $49 and one extra year of AC+ pro-rated at $39.
  • And as you said look, personal preference again but I like my watch to look classic or like it's all screen so I'll go with SBSS.

These are all solid points, and you’re right, the Edition [Both Ti And Ceramic] watch really isn’t for the masses (As in price point attractive), it’s meant more for those who want specific materials. I think the titanium is a nice add on material, being Apple really was only offering the stainless and aluminum primarily over the years, but I don’t think generally consumers look at what type of material your smart watch is. The one that stands out the most would probably be the regular 316 L stainless, just because it has such a high shine to it. But I’m also partial to the space black stainless Apple Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.