Did Apple give any indication hardware issues from 2016 MBPs have been fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nave29, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Nave29 macrumors member

Blown speakers, sticky keys, rattling noises, popping sounds, etc. Is there any indication these issues have been silently fixed in the 2017 models? I had 3 of the 4 issues in my 2016 15 in. that I returned.

2. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

Didn't see anything, I haven't had the speakers or keys, but I do have the Keychain one with the Touchbar model - constant bouncing ball for 10-15 secs whenever I try and use Keychain to autofill or save a password. Very annoying!

Apple don't tend to admit they had problems, especially during a keynote. Hopefully they have been taking note of the issues reported in forums or the apple site.

3. asoksevil macrumors 6502

I do hope they have fixed it.. otherwise I'll wait for the 2018 version lol.

4. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I too am also curious if this has been addressed otherwise I won't be buying one either.

5. leman macrumors 604

We bought over a dozen of 2016 machin s so far and none had any issues you’ve described

6. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

Nope they did nor should you expect them to. That would mean admitting there were problems in the first place.

7. Nave29 thread starter macrumors member

Is it likely these issues were silently fixed then?

8. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

those were all fake news, aside from the speaker issue which was fixed the first week the computer was out

none of the mentioned problems even exist.

9. Nave29 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry but that is false. The speaker popping is silent and easily ignored but definefly not meant to happen.

Sticky keys is definetely an issue... just look at the post on this forum.

The speakers on my tb15 bought in May 2017 were blown without using boot camp.

High-pitched rattling noise is also a defect I had along with others on YouTube.

10. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

Sounds like you bought a dud. Just return it for a working machine.

11. Nave29 thread starter macrumors member

Returned it and got a 13 inch, still had the speaker popping issue (the small noise, not the blown speakers).

In the end I returned that too last week and got the 2017 13 yesterday

12. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Likely changes were made to improve certain aspects of durability/longevity, and some could have been made mid-way through the 2016 for that matter. However, companies often do this silently because, A) it can be seen as an admission of failure even when it is simply continuous quality improvement, B) people with models made before the changes may be unhappy and it may make them think their model is defective, and C) most people aren't interested in technical tidbits (if Tim C spent 10 minutes talking about the choice to change a tiny internal part of the keyboard from 6061-T6 aluminum to 6Al4V titanium for its greater resistance to fatigue from repeating stress, most people would be apathetic, even if such a change greatly reduced problems with the keyboard [because, while the new design is certainly having some issues, these issues appear to be a very small portion when compared to all the models sold].)

13. Nave29 thread starter macrumors member

14. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

The only answer I would like to see is with the battery to be honest. They are still stating 10 hours but will there eneough people saying they only get 4-6 hours out of it ?

I am guessing the battery technology that they wanted to put in the 2016, is not in the mid 2017 too ? ( If i am not mistake its called terraced battery)

15. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

We won't know until iFixit or someone dismantles one - however I doubt it since they went so quickly through the MBP in the presentation....it was almost...'nothing to see here except faster cpus'/gpus's....JAZZHANDS!!!!!'

16. yukonsnow macrumors newbie

yukonsnow

Bought two 15 inch refurbs, both with severe keyboard problems (clicky under load, very inconsistent haptics across the keyboard) and both had at least one spot around the display bezel that made a sound when touched (not properly fused). One of them also rattled when moved.

Don't be ignorant just because you didn't experience those problems. They are still real and potential customers like me refrained from buying the 2016 version because of the QC issues.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not fake news to those who have been suffering with those defects.

18. yukonsnow macrumors newbie

yukonsnow

Fingers crossed that those get fixed. If not -> join me in the new waiting for 2018 MBP thread. *sighs*
    Not going to dump $3000+ on a laptop without decent keyboard.

19. Sam_S macrumors regular

Thats what I am waiting to see, I would love to get at least 6-8 hours and I'll be happy.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not worked up about the battery, but rather the keyboard. As mentioned earlier if ifixit uncovers difference in how the keyboard looks or is constructed then we can assume that apple did something to improve the keyboard.

21. Sam_S macrumors regular

How serious have the keyboard issues been, aside from the terrible travel?

22. dhw01 macrumors newbie

From all the "issues" listed- my 3 months TB15 only ever heard speaker popping sound once..not sure if that would be a problem...

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From what I've read here and elsewhere many people have had to deal with sticking keys (pressing a key once but shows up multiple times), non-functioning keys, rattling. The replacements seem to be worse, at least that was the case. I don't know if apple has rectified the situation. Granted this is unofficial, but the volume is high enough to give me concern.

24. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Basically, "all laptops have been updated and are available for order ... today!" *swipes right to next slide*

25. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

The travel is not terrible. Some people don't like it, some love it.