Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Its less functions and features, but more money per upgrade.
Even I have gone from upgrading yearly to every 2/3 years. The handset just does everything I want it to do, and there's never enough to make me upgrade after a year's use - especially considering how much it costs these days.
I went from a 6s+ to a iPhone XS Max, and I'll be keeping the Max for at least another 2 years, or until 5G is reliable enough to consider.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
The handset just does everything I want it to do, and there's never enough to make me upgrade after a year's use - especially considering how much it costs these days.
I'd be very surprised if any phone manufacturer expects anything other than a small percentage of people to upgrade every year. People who aren't tech enthusiasts only get a new phone if their carrier gives them a decent offer on an upgrade when their 2yr contract is up, or if their old phone breaks, or if they find after a few years that their phone won't run a new app / OS version they want.

Reactions: Ifti

zx128k

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2018
Like any mature technology mobile Phone tech has plateaued. It used to be worth upgrading upgrading every year. Not so much now. They have put up prices to mitigate that.

Reactions: BenTrovato

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
I actually think next year iPhone will spark another wave.
My best bet is they will follow the new iPad Pro design instead of the round shape on the side since iPhone 6.

They will also introduce sapphire glass on next year iPhone which is in line with Apple Watch stainless finally. Kuo once mentioned 3D Touch should be gone next year and I notice current iPhone XS and Max screen get scratches much more easily than previous gens. (I do own a cell phone accessories businesss and apply a lot of screen protector for clients). If you go to an Apple store, almost every Xs and Max has scratches on them. It led me to believe sapphire glass is coming to next year iPhone. Making this year iPhone less scratch resistant and changing to sapphire will create some hype, noise and differences for people to talk about next year. Mark my word!

Last edited:
Reactions: BenTrovato

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Like any mature technology mobile Phone tech has plateaued. It used to be worth upgrading upgrading every year. Not so much now. They have put up prices to mitigate that.

So true. Can't blame Apple for cashing in on the machine they built but a lot of people definitely don't feel the prices are justified. Until another competitor can best Apple, this is what we get.

My best bet is they will follow the new iPad Pro design instead of the round shape on the side since iPhone 6.

They will also introduce sapphire glass on next year iPhone which is in line with Apple Watch stainless. Kuo mentioned once 3D Touch should be gone next year and I notice current iPhone XS and Max screen get scratches much more easily than previous gens. (I do own a cell phone accessories businesss and apply a lot of screen protector for clients). If you go to an Apple store, almost every Xs and Max has scratches on them. It led me to believe sapphire glass is coming to next year iPhone. Making this year iPhone less scratch resistant and changing to sapphire will create some hype, noise and differences for people to talk about next year. Mark my word!

Interesting prediction! I like it.. I can see Apple bringing the iPad pro design over to the phones.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Except that's not how it works. Aside from throttling only getting enabled for just some phones and only at times when the battery isn't holding up that will anymore, it can also be disabled in settings too if it does get enabled.

Incorrect. Tht throttling stopped multiple states attorney generals and class actions were filed against them. Apple got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Is everyone's memory really that short?

Apple is just as evil as Google. There are no good choices today.

Reactions: iSilas

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Incorrect. Tht throttling stopped multiple states attorney generals and class actions were filed against them. Apple got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Is everyone's memory really that short?

Apple is just as evil as Google. There are no good choices today.
What is incorrect there?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This is a weak argument and easy excuse. iPgones used to sell out in minutes every year. Year after year.
1. You have saturated the market (see: Motorola Razr). Which means all people who wanted an iPhone already have one.
2. iDevices last and can be given as second hand sell offs or even third hand. Reduces potential in emerging markets.
3. iPhones now cost $1000 for the flagship version. Not many people can afford a $1000 phone.

flybub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
Apple needs to figure out their future. There is no way they can continue to rely on their hardware sales. Software and services are where the money is right now and they should have bought Netflix when they had the chance. I'm no analyst, but based on the fact they are no longer reporting individual units sold along with a few other things, it doesn't take a smart investor to see that Apple needs to do something.

Last edited:
Reactions: stafil

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006

They will also introduce sapphire glass on next year iPhone which is in line with Apple Watch stainless finally. Kuo once mentioned 3D Touch should be gone next year and I notice current iPhone XS and Max screen get scratches much more easily than previous gens. (I do own a cell phone accessories businesss and apply a lot of screen protector for clients). If you go to an Apple store, almost every Xs and Max has scratches on them. It led me to believe sapphire glass is coming to next year iPhone. Making this year iPhone less scratch resistant and changing to sapphire will create some hype, noise and differences for people to talk about next year. Mark my word!

Sapphire does not make sense on a phone. It would shatter far too easily.

Reactions: iSilas

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
5 years ago I was a complete bleeding edge customer on every product lineup.
Now I have a 2015 15" MacBook Pro, 2016 iPhone SE and 2016 9.7" iPad Pro.

Also, due to their product directions, I don't have any real interest in any of the current offerings in any of the line ups, each for a different reason.

MacBook: Hate the keyboards and reliability concerns. If I had to replace this today, it'd be another 2015 or moving to a ThinkPad (which is not a thought I love since I do love macOS)

iPhones: Every single new model is physically too large

iPads: The price has gotten out of control and iOS hamstrings the iPad to the point that there's no real reason to buy a new one anyway, at least not at the prices they want now.

Reactions: MultiMan and stafil

stafil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
I mean some random analyst somewhere randomly “expects” something and apple is in trouble for not meeting that?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some "random" analyst? Yeah, I guess they should be listening to you.. Btw did you have a chance to see AAPL's stock today?

zx128k

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2018
5 years ago I was a complete bleeding edge customer on every product lineup.
Now I have a 2015 15" MacBook Pro, 2016 iPhone SE and 2016 9.7" iPad Pro.

Also, due to their product directions, I don't have any real interest in any of the current offerings in any of the line ups, each for a different reason.

MacBook: Hate the keyboards and reliability concerns. If I had to replace this today, it'd be another 2015 or moving to a ThinkPad (which is not a thought I love since I do love macOS)

iPhones: Every single new model is physically too large

iPads: The price has gotten out of control and iOS hamstrings the iPad to the point that there's no real reason to buy a new one anyway, at least not at the prices they want now.

I have had a 2017 MacBook over a year and the great keyboard. No problems with usability or reliability.

Most mobile Phones are big now, not just iPhones. Just the way the market is going.

zx128k

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2018
You mean the one with no Esc key? I guess people like you(who don't use the Esc key) are the target market now...
IMG_6727.JPG

Unless I'm mistaken its still there and I use it regularly.

Also can you really judge someone on if they use the Esc key or not?!

I was talking about the actual keyboard mechanism not the plus or minuses of the Touch Bar.

Reactions: akash.nu

stafil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
View attachment 801506

Unless I'm mistaken its still there and I use it regularly.

Also can you really judge someone on if they use the Esc key or not?!

I was talking about the actual keyboard mechanism not the plus or minuses of the Touch Bar.

No, I wasn't judging you, that's why I *explicitly* mentioned in the parenthesis "people who don't use the Esc key". Sorry if it came across wrong.

Oh, yeah, I misunderstood. The one you have has the ok keyboard. My bad. Apologies.

Reactions: zx128k

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, I wasn't judging you, that's why I *explicitly* mentioned in the parenthesis "people who don't use the Esc key". Sorry if it came across wrong.

Oh, yeah, I misunderstood. The one you have has the ok keyboard. My bad. Apologies.
The esc key is still there even on the latest products.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
The esc key is still there even on the latest products.

He means a real actual key.

TouchBar Macs have a virtual ESC key unless you remap one of the actual keys to serve as an ESC key, which is undesirable to many people.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
He means a real actual key.
TouchBar Macs have a virtual ESC key unless you remap one of the actual keys to serve as an ESC key, which is undesirable for many people.
That doesn't really correspond to the whole "people who don't use the Esc key" part of it that was brought up in relation to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.