Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Right or wrong, did Tiger say the right things today? Does anyone even care anymore?

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
Your begging the question by assuming there is anything right to actually say. Who cares what he says, its just posturing.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
I didn't watch it, but I will still comment on the whole debacle.

Tiger's affairs have been publicized to the point that it is the main topic of discussion among golf fans. I think that Tiger has disgraced the whole game of golf in doing what he did. Additionally, he has put himself in the center of much (negative) attention when he does start playing.

I'm not looking forward to going to the Masters and hearing "Tiger this" and "Tiger that!" I go to the Masters to watch golf and I don't want to hear about Tiger's personal life.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Most rehearsed PR pablum I've ever heard. Who cares?

The networks should be ashamed of themselves. They actually covered it live and are now engaged in discussing it.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I think it is silly and extremely hypocritical for all the women to be seeking personal apologies from Tiger for what he did to them in deceiving them and making "promises" to them

They should each be issuing their own apology to Tiger's wife

Big Dave

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Crestview, Fl
My 3 year old daughter called me at work to say that Sesame Street was interrupted by the Tiger Woods press conference. She doesn't care about Tiger and I definately have more respect for Big Bird than I do Tiger.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
That was awful. That seemed about as insincere as it gets. He called a Press conference to apologize? Get real.

If you wanna make amends, show it, don't tell it. Stop being a dick on the course. Stop fighting with the media. Stop bangin' every two bit whore who crosses your path. Start acting like a gentlemen. Pray to God or Buddha, that your wife and kids take you back. And get back on the course and play the GAME that's given you everything in life.

What a jack-ass. Trying to look into the broken camera and acting sad. That part at least was hilarious. Shouldn't somebody have motioned that the camera had quit.:p

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I think it is silly and extremely hypocritical for all the women to be seeking personal apologies from Tiger for what he did to them in deceiving them and making "promises" to them

They should each be issuing their own apology to Tiger's wife

Exactly unless you lived under a rock, how could you not know he wasn't a dad and a husband. Please.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
If he were single and out banging skanks... who would care?
Other celebs do that all the time and there is no hoopla

This is only an issue because he is married and has a kid
So who should care? His wife and kid, that's who
Who should he be talking to and apologizing to? His wife and kid, that's who

Now, he can apologize to his sponsors for taking their $$$ on a false premise that he is a clean cult "face of the elite", but honestly... I don't care what he does in his life... he didn't let me down

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Like it is with every one of these celebrity situations, it doesn't matter what he says because there will be judgment and criticism regardless. He'll do what he decides to do based on the advice he is given and for us it's nothing more than a news report and a focum topic.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Who cares? It's his private life, between him and his family. It's none of our goddamn business IMO.

so the media will stop asking questions, by Monday this will be over.
I only wished he gave information on when he will return to golf. I'm sure the PGA and Nike is loosing a ton of money from this.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I was never big on golf, so you can't really say I care, but whatever he says is going to be rehearsed and planned. Whether genuine or not you be the judge, but in the end he's going through the motions and in a year or so his behaviour will be just another late night joke, much like people look back on the Clinton/Lewinsky deal and laugh it off. Every celebrity, when something goes wrong (and only after something goes wrong) come forward, hold a press thing, and say "I'm so sorry." He'll back on the golf course in a year, back to his lifestyle and huge income.

If he's genuine, the best thing he can do is leave golf, for as long as it takes, and spend the time with his wife and kid if they'll have him.

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
I haven't followed this Tiger saga that closely but his "apology" doesn't seem to have gone over well; maybe it made things far worse... not allowing the sports media to ask questions, doing this just before a major golfing tournament, and the obvious faux element of self-imposed tears seemed patently obvious... some of the immediate reviews on "apology" are, franky, brutal...

"Tiger's apology included some of the worst acting since Ishtar."
NBC's Joe Scarborough Tweet
http://twitter.com/JoeNBC/status/9342217237

Golf Journalists Boycott Tiger Woods Event
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/19/sportsline/main6222372.shtml

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I listened to it on the radio this morning. It was awful. But I really don't care about it. He screwed up, but it is a matter between him and his wife.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Don't see why he feels the need to apolgise to all of us. Quite frankly, addressing "the world" in this way smacks of over-inflated self-importance. It's not like he's some elected leader that's broken our trust.

I didn't ask him to be faithful. I don't care if he's sorry. It's none of my business. He's only answerable to his family.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I tend to look at these things as I do my own job. I realize that celebrity is different, but it is at least where I start from.

I would not be fired from my job or even really have my job affected if I cheated on my husband. It would be completely private and separate from the job that I do. So why should it be different for Tiger Woods?

I apply the same critique for doping or drugs. I could (and would) be fired for taking drugs and/or cheating at what I do. So why aren't athletes? But I guess that's an entirely different thread...

Tiger's celebrity and the fact that a lot of the money he makes (i.e. endorsements) depends on his public image makes it different for him, but I still feel this has been entirely overblown.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
The media's trying hard to ram this non-story down America's throat. But no one's buying it. At least no one I know. He's a pro athlete, why would anyone expect him to not cheat on his wife? ;)

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Why does he owe anyone one an apology other than to his family.
I would have been fine if he didn't say anything.

More people and corp exes need Tiger far more than Tiger needs them.

How exciting has the PGA without him, it doesn't even seem to be newsworthy.
JMO

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
His handlers told him he had to do it, they set up the news conference, they wrote his speech and they rehearsed that speech with him.

the question is, why does he need to issue a public apology for his acts that only impact his family. I mean, I don't take out a newspaper add asking forgiveness when I fail to empty the dishwasher for my wife.

What he did is not going to get the media and people beyond his transgressions especially when this news conference was done in such a tightly controlled manner,i.e., no questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.