Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you buy your MBP because it was pretty?

• Yes

Votes: 91 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 93 50.5%

• Total voters

demonsavatar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Longtime thinkpad user. Switching to Mac for first time. A good friend of mine is all about Mac's but he is completely obsessed with how they look over form/functionality. I swear if Mac specs started to suck he would go down with them to the end if it "looked" better than other computers.

I give almost zero emphasis on "prettyness". Form factor is useful in some sense, a 3" thick laptop that is 10lbs is not easy to lug around. However I can do without the shinyness and aluminum brush finish.

Poll basically is asking was prettyness one of the MAJOR factors in your decision?

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Yes the aluminum build is a factor in my upcoming purchase. (First mac)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I've been buying Macs exclusively for 14 years and the "pretty" just came with the package but I never chose them for that reason. I voted no, however I will say that 99% of this world buys form over function, be it computers, clothes, pots & pans, cars, etc....At the end of the day, there's really not much more that the most powerful "ugly" PC can do that the slowest Macbook can't do except for playing games better due to the PC having a more powerful GPU. Other than that most power users will never use all the CPU power anyway so if someone wanted to buy form over function there's really nothing wrong with that. Everyone has their reasons for buying something, it doesn't have to seem sensible to everyone else.

halprin

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2003
Austin, TX
The MacBook Pro (or any Mac) being pretty was not the main reason why I bought one. That is why I selected No. But, I would be lying to say that it didn't factor in.

BobbyCarbn

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
Anyone who tells you that "It's Sexy" was not a factor in their decision to purchase a Macbook Pro is a LIAR!!!!!! :)

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
No, I did not buy it because it was pretty. I bought the computer because it had the specifications that I wanted, had Mac OS X, was upgradeable enough, and I could afford it. Being aesthetically pleasing was a plus though :)

demonsavatar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
But, I would be lying to say that it didn't factor in.

Hmm, the aesthetics didn't even factor in for me. I like small laptops but I need high resolution. 1440px width was my cutoff, so it immediately took out most 12" and 13" laptops, including the 13" MBP.

Whats left was basically the Lenovo x201s and the Sony Vaio Z. x201s is ~$1500, Vaio Z is ~$1900. Then I said to myself, screw it if I am going to spend between $1500 and $1900 I'll deal with the larger size, get the great battery life of MBPs, the great screen, OSX, and take the bump to the Hi-res model. So here I am, switching to Macs. Honestly if it lost any of the features I just mentioned, I would not be getting it, so yeah, I just barely decided to get it...

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
I voted yes, because to me "pretty" meant NO BLING.

When I bought my MBP 17 in April this year (my first Mac), the only other 17" laptop's around were far too BLING with high gloss finish, stripes all over, and chrome trim on the sides. HP have only recently brought out a less BLING 17".

demonsavatar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
I voted yes, because to me "pretty" meant NO BLING.

Heh, I consider the aluminum finish very "BLING". I am coming from matte black Thinkpads though :p

Still prefer the thinkpad basic black look. I don't have to worry about dents or scratches on this thing. Then again resell value on this is next to $0 after 2 years :p

I will be protecting my new MBP well, because I plan to sell it after 2-3 years. I will be getting a black case and a matte black vinyl overlay for the palmrest. Will make me think of my thinkpad :)

EDIT: wow I overuse smileys

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
While the sleek look pulled me in, I don't think I would continue to use them if they become too restrictive. I like the operating system and battery life. I don't like the aluminum too much because it is so soft. But their marketing is what initially drew me in.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
I bought mine because it's thin and powerful.

I still run laps around these Dell XPS machines I see at college. You know the ones... 2" thick, weighs 10lbs, but can't even play DOD Source at full settings smoothly. Not sure of the specs... but still...

2 year old MBP can.

Enough said.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
I voted no, because when I made the switch I was more or less fleeing from VISTA... Today, I would not buy a Mac again, since Apple simply does not offer the laptop I want/need...

I want:
Screensize: <= 13"
Screen-finish: Matte Screen
CPU: i5/7..
GPU: half-decent
[...]

I better stop now, as I already should have stopped after matte screen....:rolleyes:

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Yes and no.. At the time of purchasing my first unibody MBP, it was probably twice as fast as the current computer I was using, and I also liked it because of the design, it's compact, made of a sturdy material (I don't like cheap plastic computers), and it did have that pretty Apple logo on the top that glows :D:D:D

LisaMaree

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I've used PCs and Macs just about equally but I always come back to admiring Macs, and it's easy to see why. Sometimes all it takes is a good marketing shot of something like the iPhone 4 or MacBook Air and I am in love all over again <3

goreplz

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Washington DC
I voted yes. I am only 17 and nothing I do would really require a MBP's performance level. I could deal with any PC running Windows 7 and I could've gotten an extremely high performing one for as much as I am going to pay for my MBP. Yes I am buying it because it is sexy, sleek, thin, and faster than my current notebook, and has a webcam. I also like the OS very much. I figured hey its my money, I can afford it, and I like to have nice things. Especially shiny things that perform well.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I had always loved OS X even if I had only used Tiger before I got my Mac. I watched tons of reviews (some were actually pretty unbiased) of the MPB and stuff, and one day I finally decided that I wanted one. The pretty look and nice form factor came with the whole deal I guess. Build quality is important, but not worth the premium that you pay for a Mac. I saved up for a while and finally got the base model MBP 15” (late ’09). I am a little sad now because I will never be able to go back to windows (at least willingly...). Not sad for windows, lol, but more just sad because if I am ever in a situation where I need a computer I am going to hate getting it if its a windows one.

bobbytomorow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Left Coast
lol

not just because it was pretty but because it had a great combination of aesthetics, functionality and of course OS X.

Also its my third MB and after using them I don't think I will ever use a windows based notebook again

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
It was the reason I got the MBP instead of the standard macbook, but for me it was mostly just because I wanted OSX and a laptop.

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
Aluminum isn't pretty but yet not ugly either, i bought my MBP cause of OSX, im an apple fanboy and i got money to blow

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
yup...I fell in love with the form factor first...and then OSX.
The Mac does not have any bling (no flashing lights for HD activity, Wi-Fi) and is clean design...just like OSX. Hell...I am addicted to it now...:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.