Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you decide against an ipad mini because of no retina?

• Yes, I was going to get an iPad mini, but changed my mind because of no retina

Votes: 97 40.2%
  • I was going to get an iPad mini, but I changed my mind for another reason

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • I was never going to get an ipad mini

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • I was planning on getting an ipad mini and still am

Votes: 78 32.4%

• Total voters

DoctorYuyi

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
You don't need a retina display, on a small screen it serves no purpose and is just a power-hog.

It has the same resolution as the normal iPad, yet a small screen. It compresses the pixels giving near identical results as a retina display. Retina display is still better, obviously, but the differences in image quality are so minor that they are irrelevant.

Scott2345

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
You don't need a retina display, on a small screen it serves no purpose and is just a power-hog.

It has the same resolution as the normal iPad, yet a small screen. It compresses the pixels giving near identical results as a retina display. Retina display is still better, obviously, but the differences in image quality are so minor that they are irrelevant.

I highly doubt that there identical results.

courboy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
i have an ipad 3 and was pretty annoyed (rightly or wrongly) when the new one was announced, but i would happily have purchased the ipad mini to replace it if it had a retina display.

i used to be very anti the ~7" tablets because i didn't see the use for them, but actually i think it would be perfect for reading stuff in bed.

the trouble is i have a retina iphone and the 15" rMBP and i think the display would really annoy me. i also disagree with the retina display not mattering on a small screen - look at the iphone! the difference is huge. i will wait full judgement until i have used it properly, but it seems like such an oversight.

in my experience apple has a habit of releasing new products into the market, but leaving out screamingly obvious things, which it can then put in the new models to generate more sales. i love apple but this is getting tiring.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
I seriously can't believe people now say retina doesn't matter. Would you go back to a 3GS screen, which John Gruber (hardly anti-Apple!) compared the text rendering to???

To answer the OP, yes.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
i have an ipad 3 and was pretty annoyed (rightly or wrongly) when the new one was announced, but i would happily have purchased the ipad mini to replace it if it had a retina display.

i used to be very anti the ~7" tablets because i didn't see the use for them, but actually i think it would be perfect for reading stuff in bed.

the trouble is i have a retina iphone and the 15" rMBP and i think the display would really annoy me. i also disagree with the retina display not mattering on a small screen - look at the iphone! the difference is huge. i will wait full judgement until i have used it properly, but it seems like such an oversight.

in my experience apple has a habit of releasing new products into the market, but leaving out screamingly obvious things, which it can then put in the new models to generate more sales. i love apple but this is getting tiring.

same here, retina everything. the ipad2 honestly gave a headache bc of the screen resolution.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
Perhaps it's your eyes. l have no problem with any resolution. When one has various platforms, the retina only represents a small share of displays.

maybe but a lot of people find it's more 'relaxing' on your eyes while reading on the retina display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.