Did you fail your driver's license test??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pchater, Jul 1, 2008.

1. pchater macrumors newbie

I remember the first time I took mine. I was so nervous and knew I was going to fail within the first few minutes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmmQHW4jDmg

I should have gone down swinging like this kid!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. jesses macrumors regular

jesses

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

That video's not funny, that's sad.

And if you don't know why, maybe you should consider public transportation.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So did I, way back in 1982.

6. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

Failed the first time. Passed spotless the second.

7. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

Passed the first time in Colombia. Failed the first time in the US and passed the second time spotless.

8. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I haven't taken mine yet. I will soon though.:apple:

9. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

10. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

11. Meecrob macrumors member

Meecrob

12. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Failed thrice in PA

they fail you right away if you cannot parallel park in a pretty tight spot within 3 backup attempts.:mad:

That being said, going on 27, still don't have a license, and with gas prices being what they are, not necessarily a bad thing :cool:

13. NSNick macrumors regular

I took mine in a state that allows you to take the practical test at a private testing company instead of the DMV. It is a little more expensive, but I failed the parallel parking, 3 point turn, and ran a read light, and still passed the test.

14. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

I failed the first three times when I was 17/18 and retook it when I was 27 and passed- my two years probation* ended last monday. I was so disappointed and annoyed it took me that long to get back driving, bit of a waste really.

*For those outside the UK, we have a points system for driving offences. Speeding can be anything from 3 points to an instant ban depending on the speed and area, for example. You're allowed up to 12 points on your licence before you lose it and the points expire after 3 years (although some insurance companies keep track of them for longer).

However, the first two years after passing your test you're on "probation" with a 6-point limit. If you get any points during that time the probation period is extended another year also.

Little bit of UK driving trivia for you there. Aren't you glad you got out of bed this morning? :p

15. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

:eek::eek: No offense, but no wonder why there are so many bad drivers on the road! We need a stricter drivers educational system. They need to teach people road etiquette, flow of traffic, flash to pass, etc. Hardly anyone knows how to drive once it starts to rain, hit the brakes at EVERY curve in the road, and even brake up hill.

/end rant

I passed the first time and only got one question wrong on the written test.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Holy crap, not to pick on you, but you should not have passed. Running a red light should have failed you automatically.

17. NSNick macrumors regular

O, this was also in a state with EXTREME winter conditions aswell.

18. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

Passed on the first attempt.

I don't know if it's just Illinois, but I did not have to parallel park.

Anyway, you have to park at a corner and then back around it. My grandma refused to do it since she never had to do that on any driving test since she's had her license. She thought the examiner was trying to trick her into doing something illegal so he could fail her. The examiner ended up failing her anyway since she refused to back around the corner. It's kind of a bogus manuever... the tests need to be a bit more strict. Any one with a couple hours behind the wheel could pass that.

19. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I curbed doing the back-around test the first time so I got disqualified even though my score was passing otherwise (87). The test overseer took pity and let me reschedule for the next day instead of waiting the normal period, so I took it again and passed with a lower 83.

The second time was very nerve wracking because my testing person was a trainee and her superior rode in the back seat, grading her on grading me.

20. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Along with what you mentioned, people who don't know how to pass trucks, use the left lane as a driving lane, and those who wait until the last second to merge from a lane that ends even though there have been signs for 2 miles are among others that get to me. I see more than my fair share of these since I do nearly 85% of my driving on the highway.

Passed the first time for me, no parallel parking or any fancy turns...not even a left turn on my driving test.

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

took drivers ed in high school. aced the written part that was a part of drivers ed, and the other two sections (range and 'traffic') and as such i just had to go to the DMV and present my 'blue slip' get my picture taken, and head home.

22. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Eye doctor said i can't ever get my license, which was a bit if a kick in the balls

23. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

That is utterly shocking, and one of the reasons I can't understand why international driving tests don't live up to some of the European ones (UK and Germany especially).

It's also why people make fun of US drivers so much. ;)

What was your eye doctor doing down there?

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

No, but considering how little I've driven since having gotten it, I really can't claim to actually know how to drive.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope. I did fine on it except I completely screwed up parallel parking.