Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myztikal47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
I ordered two of them for my brother and myself.

Why I asked this question..... is to see what you would do if it "bends"?

I'm not talking about Unboxyherapy style bending. I'm talking about even the slightest bend from keeping it in your front pocket as I have done with every previous phone. (If you don't believe a phone....any phone....should be kept in a front pocket....well, we should all weep for humanity and it's future.)

From the other "bending" threads, it seems like half the people tell the OP he deserves the bend while the other half tell the OP to return it.

As an iPhone user since the "1G", if it bends, it's completely unacceptable. I've had my iPhone 5 since it's release, and I absolutely love it. The only issue I've ever had with it was the battery not holding charge which was fixed after swapping it out.

Starting with even the "1G" iPhone, I've never worried about what would happen to the phone if I put it in my pocket where it belongs. I love the iPhone and everything that goes with it.

I've tried android phones and they're not even close to how great the iPhone ecosystem is. As people have said before, "everything just works."

People in other threads have said, "if you're worried about bending it, don't get it, or return it."

For dropping over $1k on a phone, no one should have to worry about it only lasting a week before it "bends."

Hey, if my iPhone 6+ had a slight bend after using it for 2years like I use my iPhone 5, honestly I wouldn't really care.

But if Apple thinks it's ok for the non 1%'ers to spend $1k on a phone which will structurally be compromised after a week or, even after one month......well that part, I'll leave up to you guys as to what should happen?

The 6+ bends at the point where the steel insert which was installed to keep the phone from bending in the fist place?

Apple, man the ******* up, tell people to being their phones in, and insert an extended titanium bar that runs past the volume buttons and solves the issues.

It took apple forever to admit to "antennagate," I'm sure more people (not sheeple, but people who value integrity lik myself) would have had a lot more respect for Apple vs. telling people they're holding it wrong.

The fact that even if I continue to use the iPhone 5 because I don't want to deal with the iPhone 6 issues, Apple will eventually force iPhone5 users to to buy new hardware, by discontinuing support for it (like the "current" iPhone 3G which can only updated to iOS 4.)

We all know you like to control everything, and keep your ecosystem running smooth, which is all fine and dandy. iOS and it apps are great for sure. But eventually you force people to upgrade to a newer device to continue using your awesome ecosystem. The issue really is, no one should be forced to upgrade if you provide inferior products to us. Is it not called an "upgrade" for a reason?

I apologize to anyone for the rant, and I will honestly say I hope nothing ever happens to my 6+ because it's amazing for sure. Unfortunately, I don't believe this will be the reality though.

KuchiKopi

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Wow.... that was a huge post considering it says absolutely nothing important. :rolleyes:

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
Yes I paid big bucks for my 6 Plus, yes I take care of my device and NO it has not bent.

/story

stasha

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
Montréal
we pay more than 1100 dollars in canada and yes use a case,and i dont have applecare cos i have a case and screen protector its already drop 3 times in a hard surface and everything is ok

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
If you feel so strongly about it then why not wait for the next version to see if this "problem" gets resolved.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I ordered two of them for my brother and myself.

Why I asked this question..... is to see what you would do if it "bends"?

It's for things like this that I buy Applecare+ for my iPhones. If I bend my phone, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but it's good to know that at the worst case my replacement costs will be reduced greatly.

But I've had my phone for two weeks now, and no bend. So far so good.

I'm not talking about Unboxyherapy style bending. I'm talking about even the slightest bend from keeping it in your front pocket as I have done with every previous phone. (If you don't believe a phone....any phone....should be kept in a front pocket....well, we should all weep for humanity and it's future.)

I think whether or not a phone belongs in one's pants depends on how tight the pants are and how big the phone is. The iPhone 6 is really pushing the limits of a "pocketable" phone. The 6 Plus, let's face it: we're regressing back to the era when phones were the size of bricks. At best putting it in your pocket is going to be uncomfortable. At worst, it's going to bend or break.

From the other "bending" threads, it seems like half the people tell the OP he deserves the bend while the other half tell the OP to return it.

Again, depends on the situation. But, what option do YOU want us to say? Keep it?

As an iPhone user since the "1G", if it bends, it's completely unacceptable.

For the record: I never put my 1G in my pocket either. Why? because I sat on a Blackberry years before. Guess what? It didn't bend... but it did worse. It cracked.

I've had my iPhone 5 since it's release, and I absolutely love it. The only issue I've ever had with it was the battery not holding charge which was fixed after swapping it out.

Great for you. Good thing it didn't bend on you. Because, it does bend.

I've tried android phones and they're not even close to how great the iPhone ecosystem is. As people have said before, "everything just works."

People in other threads have said, "if you're worried about bending it, don't get it, or return it."

Believe it or not, this is sound advice. Apple listens the most to two things: the sound of cards swiping in their handheld Apple Store terminals, and mouses slicking the "buy" button. For all the phone bending and videos and people wondering aloud about whether iPhone is next or whether they should even buy, there doesn't appear to be any drop in the millions of people wanting to buy it.

And guess what? Every purchase is a "yes" vote for Apple. An affirmation that they are doing the right thing, and that people aren't caring about this. Certainly you're not: it's not enough of a concern that you want to bring your phones back. So what then, is there to motivate Apple to think this is something more than just people trying to get ad revenue on Youtube by purposefully demolsihing phones?

If you want to rebuke Apple; if you want to tell them they made their product wrong, then the most effective way to do that is to not buy one.

There are other options, of course. You can hang on to your 5 or 5s another year, for one thing. You are not compelled or forced to buy a 6 ort 6 Plus. Hell, half the apps on the app store aren't even optimized for it, yet.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
This case is only 15$. Looks good and protects well. Many nice cases are in that price range.]

Wow, that case looks awful. While I agree that there are nice cases that cost less than $55, this does not seem to be one of them. No case and AppleCare+ for me.

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I paid $35 for my six. Going to purchase AC soon, already have a case on it but am waiting for the otterbox symmetry designed ones to come out. I like that the phone is thin but regardless of whether it bends or not, I need a protective case. I am the clumiest person ever and have already dropped my phone several times

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I apologize to anyone for the rant, and I will honestly say I hope nothing ever happens to my 6+ because it's amazing for sure. Unfortunately, I don't believe this will be the reality though.

If you don't think its worth it, then don't buy it (or keep it if you bought it).

True, I think apple shouldn't have tried to make the IP6 thinner then the 5, but they did. I think Apple trying to sweep it under the rug stating only 9 people bent their phones does a disservice. All in all, though I think if you get a sturdy case and/or be careful with it, then you'll be fine.

If you cannot get past this issue, then I suggest another phone, because after all it is just a phone.

Stanick

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
There we go another Samsung sponsored post on MR.:mad: Ban him!!!:mad:

Kidding. I agree with most of what you said. But to think about it... there is just 1 widespread issue and it's concerning only the 6+. As far as I'm aware the 6 holds in your poke more than well... people seems to love the new iPhone... it's basically an upgrade in every possible way. Well except the design... that's arguable. I prefer the iPhone 5 design. But maybe that's just me.

Either way... you still have choice. You can carry on using 5s. I'm sure Apple will support it software wise at least for another 3 years.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Paid 900€ which is $1135 plus taxes and 2 year warranty (mandatory in the EU) in the US.

Ordered a silicone case which should be coming in next week, and then I'll call it a day for the next 4 years.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
god i dont know if id be buying iPhones every 2 years if i had to pay full retails price.

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
god i dont know if id be buying iPhones every 2 years if i had to pay full retails price.

you do know that with subsidized pricing, the cost of the phone is hidden in your monthly fees, right...?

if you've noticed with the recent new mobile share installment plans, the plans are cheaper yet you have to pay off the phone in installments, with no interest of course... the upfront cost of the phone is the tax...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.