Didn't Steve Jobs state a 7" iPad ...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mikes2pads, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Mikes2pads, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

Mikes2pads macrumors regular

Did nt Steve Jobs say " he " would never produce a smaller iPad?
    Sounds like a question but he did state that explicitly.
    He said there was no need for it. He always wanted to produce something that the public would find a need for.
    We all know they will sell but it will be no blockbuster device that will follow along in the success iPhone iPod and iPad has and of course Macs to. True mega blockbuster products that made history on his watch. Under his demands fr how it works, hw it looks and how its( they ) were and still are marketed.
    I think it's very disrespectful to his marketing genius to produce this when only months before he passed on he said "no way".
    Nothing against Tim Cook but don't he remember anything?
    Good boss or not he has stepped into the spot in this company Jobs created it and should be regarded still for the things he said. I just think here s something weird about going directly against what such a genius recommends.
    Apple can afford a small seller even if they decide to stop producing it after 18 months or so. No big loss but it's not a product in step with the companies success at that point. This is my take on it , my opinion wright or wrong. I am making it sound like I'm sure of all this but there is a good chance judging by the buzz it will be mediocre at best in numbers sold.
    I have owned every apple product produced at one time or another but I can not say I need or want a larger iPhone or a smaller iPad. I eagerly looked forward to them launching. Not so much with the mini pad...i think i want one but thats the spoiled apple brat in me. Jmo. Really miss Steve Jobs at the keynotes. RIP

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

He wanted to produce something that he could generate a need for.

If the current Apple goes against steves early comments then that's fine and is their choice, he was not necessarily right.

3. RedCroissant Suspended

If I remember correctly, Steve Jobs and Apple also stated that they wouldn't be coming out with a tablet either, but then they did. They were just trying to make sure that they could make something that would be relevant and be different enough to create another type of device.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Between medical treatments, Jobs spent the final months of his life working with Apple staff to develop the company's direction for the next five years. If Apple introduces a smaller iPad, then we may assume that it has Jobs's input and blessing.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Yes he did. Yet like anyone else he had the right to change his mind.

He was also known to use it like a ruse. Clever people do clever things.

6. mat25 macrumors regular

mat25

He was referring to 7" tablets. The rumoured iPad mini is 7.85", with a different aspect ratio then the other 7" tablets, so will (assuming its real) have a significantly larger surface area.

7. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

How do you know that?:rolleyes:

8. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

He said 7" tablet suck. Apple is making an 8" tablet. And he always changes his mind. And we just saw emails about him being very receptive to smaller iPads. /end

9. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

My prediction is that whatever 7" device they introduce will not be called "iPad." If I had to guess, I'd bank on the new device being introduced in the iPod Touch line, just with the option for a larger screen. That way, Steve Jobs technically wasn't lying about a smaller device not being in the iPad pipeline.

10. shulerg macrumors regular

His bio made it sound like Steve did what Steve wanted when Steve wanted to. So he probably changed his mind ten or twelve times over the years before settling on it as the right course before he died.

11. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I call BS.

12. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

I have n7, it doesn't feel like a tablet to me. Media consumption sure, but harder to type then iPad. Zippy thou.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jobs changed his mind all the time on all sorts of products even if he spoke out against them in the past. its part of why he was a good leader, he realized that everything is always changing.

i really hope that they come out with a smaller iPad, but its anyones guess if it will actually happen and when.

14. Rodster macrumors 68040

Probably not in the last several months of his life as the man was seriously ill. But most tech companies who are primary players in their respective industry tend to bankroll their tech and ideas 4-5 years into the future. ;)

15. donnaw macrumors 65816

In response to inquiries from stockholders I believe APPL said that Steve left a 5 year road map. Does that mean Apple will stick to it? Possibily yes, possibily no. The tech industry is forever changing. I highly doubt that Steve would want them to stick with any roadmap with no regard to new tech advances. Even Apple doesn't have a crystal ball.

New tech, new opportunities.

16. dchao macrumors 6502a

Exactly. My guess is that they are going to nerf iPad mini and call it Apple TV Mini instead. it will be categorized as an entertainment device, which will be used to compete against Kindle Fire and HTC.

They will never produce an iPad mini with exactly the same functionality as a 9" iPad.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Does a smart CEO reveal his business strategy to the competition?

18. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Didn't Steve Jobs not want to allow third party apps initially for the iPhone? Imagine the iPhone now, 5 years later, with just the stock Apple apps.

The point is, SJ has always been willing to admit he was wrong and change with the trends. Nothing he said was concrete and that, in my opinion, is one of the many reasons why he ultimately was so successful.

19. gibbz macrumors 68030

Steve Jobs also said that no one wanted to watch video on an iPod. He also said no one read anymore. The list goes on.

Plus, if you read MacRumors, you would see a story that showed Eddie Cue emailed Apple leadership to discuss a 7"+ iPad and mentioned specifically that Steve Jobs was "receptive."

All of these "Steve Jobs wouldn't do <x>, Tim Cook is an idiot" threads are tiresome. If you think product development is discontinuous at a person's death, you are mistaken. He was involved with potentially four years of future products in the pipeline.

20. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

one of my family members unfortunately owns a kindle fire. The size of that device is thick but it's small enough to carry around easily. In the beginning i was saying 7" is not good since it's not big enough, not small enough but after handling the fire for a while, it's a very good size.

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. Steve Jobs is dead.
    2. When Steve Jobs said "no", it meant "no" until the situation changed and it changed to "yes". Of course not every situation changes.

Steve Jobs said "no" because at the time he said this, building a 7" iPad was not in Apple's best interest. If today Apple decides that building a smaller iPad is in Apple's best interest then they will do it, and Steve Jobs would do exactly the same thing.

Apple /// computer? Quicktake camera?

22. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Was I in the man's hospital room? No. I read this just like the other people on this forum. I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of the reports. Do you?

23. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

It'll be called "the μ iPad"

μ means micro (small), and rhymes with "new". Brilliant! :p

24. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Maybe Steve only said that to throw us off :eek:!

25. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

whether Steve wanted one or not ... the Industry will dictate a need for one. If Apple does not play along, iPads will seem big and clunky one day compared to smaller just as powerful devices.