Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
As many of you (probably) know - I'm going on a diet.

I'm just wondering if any of you could suggest any tips, or foods you've had success with, or could recommend.

I like anything, other than the 'fatty' foods (chips etc), salads and fish.

Maybe you can suggest some vege dishes, and snacks I can eat mid morning and mid afternoon (as advised, apparently it makes sure the metabolism keeps working :confused: )

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Yes, it was. From his comment 'Enough' I think it was due to the negativeness in the thread.

However this is a different topic, and theres no reason for it to be closed.

amiga

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2006
London.
Fruit!?

The best way to lose weight is to eat sensibly and get plenty of exercise. I started cycling the eight miles to work a few months ago and slowly but steadily I'm getting trimmer, fitter, happier and healthier.

Its all about lifestyle :)

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
amiga said:
Fruit!?

The best way to lose weight is to eat sensibly and get plenty of exercise. I started cycling the eight miles to work a few months ago and slowly but steadily I'm getting trimmer, fitter, happier and healthier.

Its all about lifestyle :)

Well done, you! Keep up the good work buddy! :)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Fruit and nuts make good snacks. Also drink green tea, it helps your metabolism and digestion. If you need to eat chocolate (like I do), go for one with high cocoa content which will have less sugar and lots of antioxidants.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
max_altitude said:
Fruit and nuts make good snacks. Also drink green tea, it helps your metabolism and digestion. If you need to eat chocolate (like I do), go for one with high cocoa content which will have less sugar and lots of antioxidants.

Thanks, your brilliant! :)

What nuts do I go for? (no jokes here, please!)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
josh.thomas said:
What nuts do I go for? (no jokes here, please!)
Anything you like really, my personal favourite is cashews. They all have different benefits, but keep in mind they are high in oil (mostly good oils) so don't eat excessive amounts. Also, unsalted, unroasted ones are even better for you.

Another thing I forgot to mention is seeds that are good to snack on - pumpkin and sunflower seeds are good.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
max_altitude said:
Anything you like really, my personal favourite is cashews. They all have different benefits, but keep in mind they are high in oil (mostly good oils) so don't eat excessive amounts. Also, unsalted, unroasted ones are even better for you.

Another thing I forgot to mention is seeds that are good to snack on - pumpkin and sunflower seeds are good.

Oh your a star! Thanks a bunch, when I'm chowing down on seeds, I shall think of you!

I can't wait to go for the weekly shop on Saturday, pick up seeds, and nuts, and brilliant new things! :)

Can I eat unsalted and unroasted peanuts, or are they bad? :confused:

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Blue Velvet said:
Nuts are chock-full of calories. Believe.

But, but, but... :( MA said I could eat them? So I stay away completely from nuts?

So far I have fruit, fruit bars, yoghurts as snacks, drink plenty of water, and then have veg/rice/pasta with chicken/turkey for dinner.

And don't eat after 8pm.

Urm.. I think thats it..

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
When I went vegetarian I mysteriously dropped four pounds without trying. :D

have LOTS of whole grains and drink a LOT of water.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
josh.thomas said:
So I stay away completely from nuts?

Not completely, just go easy on them, not grabbing handfuls. Try sunflower seeds and dried fruit instead.

http://www.annecollins.com/calories/calories-nuts-seeds.htm

One of the best breakfasts when you're dieting is unsugared muesli (like Jordan's Natural) with skimmed milk. Fills you up and keeps you going until way after lunchtime. If it's not sweet enough, chop some banana into it.

553445b.jpg

Cut out 'empty' calories... so-called because of their lack of nutritional value. Saturated fats, sugar, alcohol, etc.

But don't overdo it. Starve yourself and you'll fall off the wagon with a bump, giving into cravings.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
katie ta achoo said:
When I went vegetarian I mysteriously dropped four pounds without trying. :D

have LOTS of whole grains and drink a LOT of water.

Hmm.. maybe I should be a veggie as well.. its quite inspiring :)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
josh.thomas said:
But, but, but... :( MA said I could eat them? So I stay away completely from nuts?
They're fine to have in moderation, you can read more about it here if you like.

Also, I found avoiding processed carbs effective, especially bread and pasta. If I did eat these, I'd get the low GI varieties which usually means wholemeal. Another thing I think is interesting, is you can lower the GI of potatoes by eating them cold.

Going vege can be effective, but you have to make sure you get enough protein and iron from other sources. However, if you eat lean meat that's not cooked in too much oil/fat there's really nothing wrong with meat.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Blue Velvet said:
One of the best breakfasts when you're dieting is unsugared muesli (like Jordan's Natural) with skimmed milk. Fills you up and keeps you going until way after lunchtime. If it's not sweet enough, chop some banana into it.

LOVE that stuff! Looks like the food challenge is gonna be easier that I thought after all..

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
max_altitude said:
They're fine to have in moderation, you can read more about it here if you like.

Also, I found avoiding processed carbs effective, especially bread and pasta. If I did eat these, I'd get the low GI varieties which usually means wholemeal. Another thing I think is interesting, is you can lower the GI of potatoes by eating them cold.

Brilliant. I was planning on cutting out bread, anyway. But I thought pasta was fine.. maybe I'll have one small portion a week or something, with a low fat sauce or something. Not very often.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'd avoid peanuts and any salted nuts. The unroasted ones are better for you.

The calories in nuts are mainly from so-called good fats. Don't go overboard and eat a whole tin or bag of them at a time, obviously. Since they are high in fat, you have to take that into account when considering the other fats in your diet.

Whole fruit is a good snack, as are dried fruits (maybe mix them with some nuts to make your own trail mix). Be careful that the fruit bars you have aren't high in sugars.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
josh.thomas said:
Brilliant. I was planning on cutting out bread, anyway. But I thought pasta was fine.. maybe I'll have one small portion a week or something, with a low fat sauce or something. Not very often.

Once a week sounds good, plus look around for whole wheat pasta.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Try to get your carbs from Fruits and Veggies, not from breads or pastas.

Drink Plenty of Water

Drink 3 glasses of Green Tea a day. You'll lose 10 lbs in a year by doing this alone.

4-5 small meals per day is better than 3 big meals, keeps the metabolism going.

Don't cut out too many calories and try to lose weight to quickly, or you your body will go into starvation mode, in effect slowing down your metabolism and you'll lose muscle because your body will use that for energy.

Try to increase your muscle mass. The more muscle mass you have the more calories you burn per day and the higher your metabolism.

If you don't eat breakfast, start doing so. People who don't eat breakfast and start will lose weight by this alone. Breakfast gets your metabolism started for the day.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Now where's my twinkie?

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Frisco said:
Try to get your carbs from Fruits and Veggies, not from breads or pastas.

Drink Plenty of Water

Drink 3 glasses of Green Tea a day. You'll lose 10 lbs in a year by doing this alone.

4-5 small meals per day is better than 3 big meals, keeps the metabolism going.

Don't cut out too many calories and try to lose weight to quickly, or you your body will go into starvation mode, in effect slowing down your metabolism and you'll muscle because your body will use that for energy.

Try to increase your muscle mass. The more muscle mass you have the more calories you burn per day and the higher your metabolism.

If you don't eat breakfast, start doing so. People who don't eat breakfast and start will lose weight by this alone. Breakfast gets your metabolism started for the day.

Thanks very much bud. I'm drinking lots of water, so thats something.

I'll get green tea, EVERYONE has recommended it - and I mean everyone!

I'll stick to the veggies and fruits for all my nutrients, then :)

I do eat breakfast, its normally toast and tea - now its musli, and an apple/banana.

And no twinkie sorry, I can offer you a Rivetta?

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Don't forget porridge and skimmed milk, as a potential breakfast - it'll give loads of slow-burning energy to kick start your morning and keep you going until lunch.

Also eggs for breakfast (scrambled, on wholewheat bread, or an omelette) will help you feel fuller, and stop any mid-morning hunger pangs that might develop.

As has already been mentioned, lots of water. 8 glasses/2 litres a day will keep you not only hydrated, but can also help kill hunger pangs.

5 servings of fruit and vegetables a day is a must! No excuses :)

Don't forget about the humble spud! Potatoes - despite what Atkins might say - are great for you, and a medium sized potato baked in its jacket will give you over 10% of your daily fibre intake and help fill you up.

White fish is good for brain (Omega 3) and is low in fat. Steamed or grilled is best!

When you go shopping don't buy any junk, like crisps or biscuits. If their not in the house you cannot be tempted by them! ;)

And if you want to be super hardcore, you should quit all alcohol consumption for a few weeks.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Thanks Andrew, thats a huge help.

I'm giving all the chocolate and crisps and biscuits and all the frozen foods to my Mum - my little brother and sister can benefit! :)

Well, looks like I'm commited, as I have given up the Vodka until my 18th! :D

Thanks for the breakfast tips, thats brilliant. Love eggs so that should be a good way to start the day! ;)

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
josh.thomas said:
Well, looks like I'm commited, as I have given up the Vodka until my 18th! :D

Good idea! Use your 18th birthday as a 'reward' and blowout on alcohol and a kebab :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.