Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
welshandrew said:
Good idea! Use your 18th birthday as a 'reward' and blowout on alcohol and a kebab :cool:
Sorry Andrew, Not the typical drunk teen.. HATE Kebabs!

I get a bottle of water and go home! :)

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
josh.thomas said:
I'm just wondering if any of you could suggest any tips, or foods you've had success with, or could recommend.
Basically, when you go to a grocery store, walk around its perimeter rather than traveling up and down the aisles.

The items on the ends tend to be fresher, less processed, and healthier than the in-aisle alternatives. You'll find yourself eating more lean meats, more fruit, more vegetables, and less crap.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
ChrisBrightwell said:
Basically, when you go to a grocery store, walk around its perimeter rather than traveling up and down the aisles.

The items on the ends tend to be fresher, less processed, and healthier than the in-aisle alternatives. You'll find yourself eating more lean meats, more fruit, more vegetables, and less crap.
Thanks for the advice, buddy.

I'm going with a set list before hand, I'm going to the correct isle, picking up what I want, not being distracted by offers and new products, and just going.

Bag it, pay, done.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Eat lean meat....if your eating carbs eat low GI carbs such as multigrain etc avoid white ie potato, white bread etc. But you have to allow yourself a treat sometime because otherwise your more likely to binge.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
viccles said:
Eat lean meat....if your eating carbs eat low GI carbs such as multigrain etc avoid white ie potato, white bread etc. But you have to allow yourself a treat sometime because otherwise your more likely to binge.

Thanks again, Viccles. What are GI Carbs?

I know nothing.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
josh.thomas said:
Thanks again, Viccles. What are GI Carbs?

I know nothing.

Go look up GI on the net it will give you a guide of what foods are low gi and high gi. Low GI foods such as grainy bread will keep you full for longer and they are digested slowly. High GI foods such as white bread are digested quickly and your usually hungry in a short amount of time.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
viccles said:
Go look up GI on the net it will give you a guide of what foods are low gi and high gi. Low GI foods such as grainy bread will keep you full for longer and they are digested slowly. High GI foods such as white bread are digested quickly and your usually hungry in a short amount of time.
Low GI's sound wonderful. Thanks for educating me :cool: (imagine them as dork glasses, not sunnies :) )

As silly as this may sound.. but drinking water really fills you up - I don't even feel hungry now I'm drinking 3L's+ a day of water.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
viccles said:

Potatoes are good for you. Yes they have a high glycaemic index, but they are also high in fibre which keeps you full for longer.

With white bread you're absolutely correct - avoid all refined carbs as they pass straight through you. But you need to eat 'roughage' - All-Bran, porridge, potatoes (in their skins), brown rice, fruit, and so on.

Remember: foods that are high in fibre are your friends! :D

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
welshandrew said:
Potatoes are good for you. Yes they have a high glycaemic index, but they are also high in fibre which keeps you full for longer.

With white bread you're absolutely correct - avoid all refined carbs as they pass straight through you. But you need to eat 'roughage' - All-Bran, porridge, potatoes (in their skins), brown rice, fruit, and so on.

Remember: foods that are high in fibre are your friends! :D

Someone get this man a cookie!

(or rather a low fat yoghurt, or bowl of SpecialK!)

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Lunch is really easy.
Make yourself a healthy sandwich. I like:

whole grain wrap or bread
roasted pepper or maybe a grilled portabello with
sliced avocado,
sliced tomato
lettuce, onion
splash of extra virgin Olive Oil, red wine vinegar.

a few organic blue corn chips on the side.

hmmm,mmm,mmm.

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
1. cottage cheese (fat free) with fruit on top - peaches are good.
2. veggie burgers and green beans (real quick and easy to make)
3. yogurt
4. protein bars. i eat pria bars, but they are more for women...look in target's power bar section - it's HUGE

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
And for breakfast, I like:

Stonyfield non fat plain yogurt (strained to make it thicker), sweetened with 1 teaspoon of honey in a bowl with strawberries, blueberries and some rolled oats, a pinch of sunflower seeds and a couple of raisins. A nice cup of white mint tea to go along with it.

mmmm,mmmm. Who says dieting can't be yummy.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
I suggest you try going vegetarian. I lost a good amount of weight, and I felt really great. It takes a good amount of effort at first, and the hard part is finding things that you can eat, that you actually like eating. Once you get used to it though, it's smooth sailing.

It's not for everyone, I only lasted a few weeks, but I did lose like 10 pounds without any exercise.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Sutekidane said:
I suggest you try going vegetarian. I lost a good amount of weight, and I felt really great. It takes a good amount of effort at first, and the hard part is finding things that you can eat, that you actually like eating. Once you get used to it though, it's smooth sailing.

It's not for everyone, I only lasted a few weeks, but I did lose like 10 pounds without any exercise.

Going vegetarian can make you put on weight as well. You need the nutrients that would come from nuts and they are full of fat (good fat mind you) I say stick to lean meat and veg, low GI carbs. Cardio and Weight training and you will be on your way. This is the method I lost weight with -40 pounds later I'm happy.

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
Awesome Green Bean Recipe

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/1222187

Eat more veggies, make them half of your plate. Switch to whole grain pasta/ rice/cereal (Whole foods whole wheat pasta tastes like normal pasta and is cheap)

Make healthy sauces to make your food taste better
1. Salsa
2. Spanish/Medditeranean/Middle Eastern Sauces and Spreads like:
hummus
mojo
tzitki (I know I spelled that wrong)
chutney
sambal
3. Cut out the crap: lose the chips/processed foods/and unhealth olis
4. Stick to healthy fats: olives, nuts, avocados, canola
5. Switch to hard cheeses to garnish your food [it only takes a little bit of shredded parm to make broccoli taste good, and you add calcium and protein for like 40 calories]
6. Salad tastes much better with vinagarette with oil. Make your own: a teaspoon of olive oil and 2-4 teaspoons of vinegar or citrus juice w/ salt and pepper. Add some fresh parsley and maybe some nuts!
7. Roasted nuts are ok, just skip the salted and fried nuts, roasting makes them taste better
8. Eat more fish/shrimp! But feel free to have leaner cuts of steak and pork....they are still yummy
10. Eat more vegtables (and fruit!)

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I LOVE KELLOS ALL BRAN!

I must be such a strange teenager - I'm loving this healthy food!

I looked at this bag of All Bran Dad brought home in disgust - it looked like wood chippings.

I tried a few pieces dry - boy was I wrong! Its hellish nice!

I've just tried a SMALL bowl now, with hardly any milk - it was delicious.. but I couldn't even finish it! Its so filling.

Can't wait to have it with strawberries for brekkie! I've got that, and Weetabix, and fruit, and plain yoghurts.

It makes me really thirsty to, so its a sure-bet by eating this in the morning, I'm gonna be drinking a lot, too.

This dieting thing is turning out a lot easier than I planned! :)

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
josh.thomas said:
As many of you (probably) know - I'm going on a diet.

I'm just wondering if any of you could suggest any tips, or foods you've had success with, or could recommend.

I like anything, other than the 'fatty' foods (chips etc), salads and fish.

Maybe you can suggest some vege dishes, and snacks I can eat mid morning and mid afternoon (as advised, apparently it makes sure the metabolism keeps working :confused: )

hey how's the diet going? i posted some suggestions for healthy foods on this a few days after i started my diet and ive lost 6 lbs so far!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
josh.thomas said:
As many of you (probably) know - I'm going on a diet.

I like anything, other than the 'fatty' foods (chips etc), salads and fish.

Maybe you can suggest some vege dishes, and snacks I can eat mid morning and mid afternoon (as advised, apparently it makes sure the metabolism keeps working :confused: )
Eat less! :D

Seriously, the key to weight loss is to eat more than you need to maintain your weight.

Expect results to start slowly at first. Do not do a crash diet. They usually do not work and your rebound weight is more than your starting weight.

Some folks find that eating the same thing you normally do, but half of it.

Try to cut out:
- Chips
- Diet drinks
- Fast food in general

Try to:
- Drink more water
- Eat less
- Eat more vegetables and fruit
- Exercise more

And if you get the urge to eat something, like a corn dog, just go ahead and eat it. Don't deprive yourself of everything or else your diet won't last.

Everything in moderation.

Good luck!

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
I'm not all that in to dieting. Life style change is more compelling.
Along with what's been listed on the menu, a couple more unappealing items.

*water
*exercise

Moving toward good health seems to be a better motivation (imo).
Good luck.

wimic

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
calgary, alberta
I've struggled with my weight for my entire life. A couple of years ago I went on a super-serious diet and lost 60lbs.

Here's what I did.

1) Be Patient! Results take a while... but the more results you see - the easier it is to stick to it.
2) Work out regularly - I don't like the gym (at all!) but I make myself go. It's only an hour a day and who can come up with more reasons why they shouldn't go than why they should (it's a no brainer!)
3) Eat smaller portions. I found it better to eat 5-6 times a day but eat much smaller portions... ie. instead of sitting down and eating chicken, rice, veggies and a dinner roll at dinner time, opt to have a bunch of smaller meals througout the day ...

about the food part ... it's tricky. it depends on what diet you're planning on doing ... my advice would just be to cut down on fat and calories. I've tried everything... atkins, south beach, cabbage soup, coffee diet, eating next to nothing.. and NONE of them worked.

The only recipe to losing weight, getting in shape and STAYING in shape is to change your lifestyle. What's the good of losing 20lbs by eating healthily, then once you reach your goal - eating what you want and going back to your old habits? It's useless...

I've been working out a lot lately and trying to stay motivated. IMO, the only true way to get in (and stay in) shape is by eating right and being active. Who really wants to worry about good carbs and bad carbs, and gorge on nasty cabbage soup? I certainly don't.

You're not alone with the diet thing - I'm right there with ya! Good luck with it!

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
It's really pretty easy.
Just constantly remind yourself:
PROTEIN and VEGETABLES.

Get as many of your daily calories as possible from PROTEIN and VEGETABLES.

Protein-rich foods are: Lean meat (e.g., white-meat chicken), egg whites, fish & seafood, beans, lentils, peas, tofu/soy products, and low-fat dairy (low-fat milk & low-fat cheese, plain yogurt). If you eat sweetened dairy products such a yogurt, make sure it uses artificial sweetener such as aspartame instead of sugar).

Eat some not-to-sweet fruit in addition to your protein/vegetable regimen, and small amounts of whole-wheat bread perhaps.

Whenever unsure, stick to whatever has the most protein and vegetables, and not too much else. Basically, protein and vegetables are your good friends, fruit is ok, but starches, sugar, and fats are the things you want to stay away from as much as possible. Good luck!

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
btw -- weight loss supplements can be very effective.

I recommend checking out a large discount nutritional supplement website such as Doctor's Trust and check their weight loss section. They have dozens of 100% natural products that are actually very effective, and surprisingly cheap, and tackle your specific problem (e.g., eat too much fat? sugar? eat when stressed out? low metabolism? etc.).

On the other hand, don't let over-priced wonder drugs from infommercials and the like fool you. They don't work any better than the natural supplements from reputable businesses like Doctor's Trust, Arizona Health, etc.

jamone80

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2006
So Cal
if you're trying to burn calories, eat a bunch of small meals with little or no carbs. if you don't eat salad, try a black bean salad mixed with fresh salsa. the "biggest" meal should your lunch and try not to eat past 8:00. as for snacks, you should try eating fruits that contain water (watermelon, grapes) so it will satisfy your hunger. most importantly, keep working out & staying active to get rid of water weight and maintain your metabolism. thats my advice and i lost about 40 lbs. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.