Differences between iPhone 4 and 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heycal, May 7, 2014.

1. heycal macrumors 6502a

I've never had an iphone before, but am intrigued by them. My daughter is upgrading to the 5S tomorrow, so I thought I'd try out her old iphone 4 for awhile and see how I like it, and then maybe get a 5S or a 6 myself in a few months if iphone agrees with me.

Realizing that I can't properly compare the experiences of using an older iphone 4 with a new 5S -- let alone a 6 -- what are the main differences in terms of features and use between the 4 and the 5S (other than size)? I don't want to unfairly judge the 5S based on a presumably inferior product in the 4, nor would I would I want to fall in love with some feature on the 4 only to realize the 5S got rid of it or something.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

the 5s has a finger print scanner, a better camera, a larger screen with better colors, it's thinner, lighter, faster, LTE, 1080p video recording, slow mo recording, True Tone flash and that's all i can think of right now haha

3. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I had a 4...switched to a 5S for work. Then work took all phones back...now on my old 4.

The iPhone 4 is/has:
    slower
    smaller
    more rounded/concave home button
    30-pin Connector

the iPhone 4 doesn't have:
    1080 HD video
    Super Slo-Mo
    Live Filters
    Touch ID/flatter home button
    Siri
    LTE
    Lightning Port
    speed-shooting with native camera app
    as bright a display
    extra row of icons

the 5S has everything the 4 has and more...lots more in speed alone.

My Home button on the iPhone 4 is starting to not work all the time. I generally hit the power on/off button to wake the phone. sometimes double-clicking the home button to close out apps doesn't work and with the 4 you need to close out apps more often.
    If this was January, I'd just buy a 5S now and be happy. However, I feel we are a few months away from a new phone release and I will "deal" with what I have now. and hope I can get the new phone sooner than later.

The iPhone 4 can be a VERY good smartphone for somebody today as long as you don't have a 2013-2014 phone already. the iPhone 4 is like DSL compared to an old 56k modem...the 5S is like having cable or Fios internet. guessing future phones will be like have a T1 or better internet speed.

4. coolguy4747 macrumors member

coolguy4747

The 4 can't do turn-by-turn nav in Apple's Maps app, doesn't have Siri, can't do Air Drop, notification and control center don't have the same transparency effect, and probably some other things that I'm forgetting.

5. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Well in advance welcome to iPhone, enjoy your stay it's a very good os and the iPhone 4 is where I started last June. Never looked back.

Got the iPhone 4 until upgraded in November (forced to) and love it! I can't see myself going back to android for some time..

6. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the information. I will probably start using this phone over the weekend and I'll see how it feels.

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Lets not forget an A4 32 bit vs an A7 64 bit processor.

8. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any difference in how the keyboard looks and operates between the 4 and the latest models?

Actually, I think the answer must be yes in at least one respect: the guy at the Apple store said the reason his keyboard on his 5 looked slightly bolder (and better imo) than the display ones in the store was because he had the latest update to IOS 7 or whatever while the store models did not.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

iOS 7.1 included some changes that made the text on the keyboards bolder. However, 7.1 is available for the iPhone 4 just the same as it is for the 5s, so in that respect there is no difference in the keyboards between devices.

10. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Knowing others experience with iOS 7.1.1 with iphone 4 that is very positive (fast, optimize, etc), you should try to update the phone (if you haven't already). And I still think the experience would be more or less the same as with iphone 5, 5s with the 4.

11. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5S is like comparing a child's bicycle to a high-end Harley.

12. heycal, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014

heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just got the phone today and started playing around with some. I'm installing the update now on your guys' recommendation. This will change or improve things some way or another?

Is there really no speed dial on this phone?? Very reliant on that with LG Lucid android, and my previous phones. My daughter says the Favorites tab is the workaround for this, but that seems a bit cumebersome.

But more importantly, if I follow that advice and set up 10 favorites or whatever, won't that create some issues? Namely, when it comes to setting up the "do not disturb" feature, how can I get it to allow calls though from 2 specific favorites but not any of others? I don't see any way to refine my choices in this area. If there's no way around this, I don't see how I can realistically use both favorites and the do not disturb feature, can I?

Hopefully I'm not understanding something here...

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's how Favorites work and how they can relate to Do Not Disturb. You can try getting an app that would let you create a list or icons for frequently dialed or messaged contacts and you can use that for those purposes and perhaps Favorites for Do Not Disturb type of purposes.

14. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I may look into this. But is this really how you iphone guys live -- with no real speed dial, and thus, also a not very functional do not disturb feature?

I can't be the only one who wants an easy way to dial frequent contacts/favorites while also allowing a select 2 or 3 of those frequent contacts/favorites to be able to reach me at any hour, can I?

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

The Favorites work fine as a quick dial feature. As for Do Not Disturb, that's more of a recent feature that came in iOS 6 and quite a few people don't even use it, and quite a few of those that do will generally either not let any calls go through at all or are OK with any of the Favorites in calling them. Of course more control is always desired by some, and would be welcomed in general, but for most it seems like it's not an issue, and just for some an inconvenience perhaps.

16. Tomislav macrumors newbie

people, can someone help me to tell with imei , if my iphone is neverlocked?

17. juaenima macrumors newbie

differences between iphone 4 and 5S?

There's a lot of differences...

1. The Design
    2. Camera (5 MP vs 8 MP, single led vs true tone flash, glass vs sapphire crystal)
    3. Screen size
    4. Speed (iOS 7 flies on the 5S)
    5. Lightning connector

18. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Touch ID..

19. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

There are differences between the keyboards. I think the backround behind the keys is a little lighter on the 5s vs 4

20. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't really care "if quite a few people don't use it". Quite a few people don't text or make calls, and those are pretty important features to others. To me, a practical and usuable DND that can allow a few select callers to get through to me while I am sleeping is a highly important feature, and more important to me than, say, having a camera.

So basically it sounds like if I want to continue using an iphone, I must choose between the DND feature and the speed dial workaround known as favorities?

Wow… that is a major bummer. There's a lot to like about iphone, but its things like this that may drive me nuts and send me back to Android if I can't find adequate solutions.

Maybe it's psychological, but the software update I just did seems to make the keyboard a bit bolder and easier to see.

21. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone know how I turn off this swoosh sound when sending a text? I don't want to hear that, and I assume it can't be doing the battery any favors either. I checked sound settings, but there didn't seem to be anything pertaining to this specifically.

22. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Mute it.

23. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Another speed dial option is to press and hold the Home button and say "call Bob".;)

24. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

If you're referring to the swoosh sound when sending an email, you can select 'None' in 'Sent Mail' under the sounds settings. However, if you're talking about the messages app then no, you can't turn it off. If I remember correctly though the messages app doesn't have the swoosh sound.