Different Shipping Address for pre-order not possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone4s, Oct 6, 2011.

1. iphone4s macrumors newbie

I just spoke with an apple rep who said that I will not be able to have my phone shipped to a different address than my billing address.

Anyone see anyway around this? I'm sure others will have the same issue.

2. Uln4321 macrumors regular

I hope this is not true!! :eek:

3. christyn macrumors 6502a

Some people had their orders canceled last year who had put in a shipping address different from billing.

4. fastfinger macrumors member

I was informed of the same thing.. thought about changing by billing address to my work address as a work around.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You may be able to call your credit card company and have the shipping address added as an "alternate address". Then you will supply that address as both the Shipping and "Billing" address. That will give Apple a positive value on the AVS (Address Verification Service), which is what they're looking for.

Requiring ship-to address to pass AVS is an increasingly common fraud-prevention measure.

6. Bag302 macrumors regular

7. iphone4wanter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are you able to preorder with a Apple Gift Card? Has anyone done this in the past?

8. sleepness macrumors newbie

I was actually told that it doesn't matter when I spoke to an apple rep about 2 minutes ago.

9. pettifogger06 macrumors member

I just did this with Amex, they said no problem. I guess it is a fairly common request. The confirmed that none of my actual billing stuff would go to the alternate address.

10. bryanjc macrumors regular

I've had mine delivered to work in the past. :confused:

11. iZeeshan macrumors regular

Has anyone confirmed this?

I'm away at college and I NEED it delivered here!

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I understand this from Apple's perspective, and here's what I've used as a solution in the past.

Have someone you trust, be present to sign for the phone, then ship it to you via FedEx or UPS insured.

13. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Change your address to your work address in your online account.. make sure your are paperless billing though! the bank will send a change of address to the new address. Just something to keep in mind.. but least where I am I get the mail being closest to the door so that's not a big deal.

I'm still debating where to get mine sent.. i'll probably have it sent to my house...As id be playing with it all day. but if I do that i will be thinking of playing with it all day and looking at other peoples reviews.... decisions decisions on where to send my iphone 4 steve

14. bryanjc macrumors regular

This is only for the US.

Us :apple: UK players are cool for cats, i did it last year for the iPhone 4, and i just confirme with https://storechat.apple.com that i can do it again.

15. vbtwo31984 macrumors regular

Last year I was able to change the shipping address after putting in my order (on the order details page you can change the shipping information until they ship it) and I changed it to my work address and got it delivered to work. Unless they changed something, it should work the same way.

16. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Call AT&T and have them change your address that you want it mailed to. Once received you can change the address back.

I confirmed the update via Apple, by going through and ordering a iphone 4 and put in the new zip code and it was already updated.

17. wurt macrumors member

Just called cust. support and talked to a sales rep who checked with their supervisor. Shipping address has to be the same as the billing address..

bummer.

18. DarbCU macrumors newbie

When you are talking billing address, do you mean billing address for your carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) or for your credit card?

19. caitlin macrumors member

caitlin

Last year, changing my AT&T billing address was all that I needed to do.

20. iphone4s thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope it's credit card address so I can just call amex and add an alternate billing address. Has anyone else tried this?

21. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Billing address for credit card, the card you are going to be using to pay for the iPhone. And billing address that your carrier has on file needs to match the credit card you are paying with.

22. Rambaldi macrumors member

So, to confirm, if on my iPhone preorder, I have my work address set as my billing address, I'm okay even if that billing address differs from the billing address on my Verizon Wireless account, as long as all the billing addresses are associated with the same card.

23. lsbuffs macrumors regular

Sounds like no definitive information in this thread. Some have had deliveries to addresses other than their credit card billing addresses, while others are receiving word that is not allowed.
    I just went in and put an unlocked iPhone 4 in my cart on apple.com. It let me change the default shipping address to one different than my credit card billing address. If Apple won't ship to a different address, why is this field able to be changed?

24. eric18 macrumors member

I just spoke with Apple and AT&T and I got the following answer:

Me: I am wondering if my shipping address has to match my billing address on my credit card or my phone bill.

Representative: Nope, it sure doesn't. However, the iPHone will be delivered to the address on the phone bill.

I asked if it can be changed to be delivered to another address, since I am going to law school elsewhere, to which the representative said that I had to contact the carrier regarding temporarily changing my address on my phone bill. I contacted AT&T and confirmed.

25. pugnut macrumors 6502a

that is correct. I changed my address with AT&T today. I went into the Apple online store and added the iPhone 4, it asked for my billing zip code and put the old one in, and said it was incorrect, added the new one and it worked. After the test I decided to order the iphone 4, for my nephew, and ordered it. The address is the same that I want the 4s sent to. The order completed on my AMEX, which has my original address on file.