DigiTimes: 16-Inch MacBook Pro Will Feature Narrow Bezels and Launch in September

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

16-inch MacBook Pro rumors continue to surface, with hit-or-miss industry publication DigiTimes today reporting that the notebook will feature an "ultra-narrow bezel" design and launch in September.

The report suggests that the narrow bezels will allow for the 16-inch MacBook Pro to be roughly the same overall size as the current 15-inch model. Taiwanese contract manufacturer Quanta Computer is expected to assemble the notebook, according to the unnamed supply chain sources cited.

Multiple reports have claimed the 16-inch display will be supplied by LG and have a resolution of 3,072×1,920 pixels.

Last week, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the 16-inch MacBook Pro will also feature a scissor mechanism keyboard, as Apple finally begins to transition away from its troubled butterfly mechanism keyboard design.

16-inch MacBook Pro rumors are beginning to consolidate, but there are still a few conflicting details. This is the second report to mention a September release date, for example, but Apple typically unveils new Macs in October. Either way, it looks like the notebook is coming in the fall.

Kuo believes the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro will live on with refreshes in 2020.

Article Link: DigiTimes: 16-Inch MacBook Pro Will Feature Narrow Bezels and Launch in September

Reactions: logicstudiouser

AZMecha

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Hey @ Dan From mac rumors you guys should ask for a couple of them to demo and put that keyboard through its paces. if you approve it then I'll go get one since I'm still using 2014 MBP...

Last edited:
Reactions: u+ive and apolloa

Nozuka

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2012
Because of the 16:10 aspect ratio the display size already feels 1'' bigger than most other laptops.

A 14'' would be perfect for me and feel like a 15'' device in a very compact body.

Reactions: TechRunner

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I'd love one of these, but I imagine it will be out of my reach from a budgetary standpoint (and, realistically, my computing needs). I'd jump right on it if they offered the specs of the current 13" MBP with the rumored form factor, but that's a pipe dream and will never happen. The limiting factor of my current machine for the type of work I do is screen size (I'm on a 2013 13" rMBP).

If the 13" and 15" continue on in 2020, as per Kuo, I wonder if those machines will become standard MacBooks (now that none exist) and this (and maybe a 14") will carry the "Pro" moniker similar to the iMac and iMac Pro.

It looks like it's going to be awesome, nonetheless. Can't wait to check it out!

torontotim

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2019
Trolling :) Looks like my 13.9" Matebook X Pro from a year ago.

All kidding aside, I love macOS. I had a 15" Pro, but the logic board died 3 years in and it was going to be $800 to repair by Apple. Couldn't justify that, so I sold it for parts and picked up the then-newly launched Matebook X Pro with 3000x2000 3:2 aspect ratio 13.9" screen (they call it a 13" laptop) with i7, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD for USD$1200 at the time.

But... every time I use my daughter's 13" Macbook Pro (2015 model) I'm reminded of the glassy smooth OS experience, trackpad etc.

The 15" Macbook Chassis was too large for my constant travels, but perhaps when they squeeze a 14" screen into the 13" chassis and fix that horrendous keyboard.... then maybe. Especially if they took a quantum leap backwards and like my Matebook, allowed me to upgrade the SSD at least.

kdekorte

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2016
Because of the 16:10 aspect ratio the display size already feels 1'' bigger than most other laptops.

A 14'' would be perfect for me and feel like a 15'' device in a very compact body.
14” with Dedicated graphics would be great. Have to wait and see but think the 16 may replace my 2013 13” MBP

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2018
With all these rumours circulating about a refreshed MacBook Pro featuring a new scissor keyboard, it would be wise for anyone in the market looking to buy a MacBook to hold off their purchase.

You're mad if you buy a MacBook now, and anyone who bought one recently should sell there's ASAP as the butterfly keyboard models will drop in resale value significantly when the new models release.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Since this won't replace the 15 inch MBP, it's going to be more expensive.
I guess it'll be $2999 for the entry config.
Good luck with that, X1 Carbon it is for me.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I hope it’s available before Sept 26th (when the Beats promo ends). I’m in the market for a new laptop but I’d hate to miss out on the promo while waiting to see the cost/specs of the new unit.