• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

093224-iphone_multitouch_display.jpg

In a report today, DigiTimes claims that the next-generation iPhone's display will see a number of improvements that will push it to the front of the pack among smartphones. The upgrades come as manufacturer Foxconn appears to be planning to ship 24 million of the next-generation iPhones during 2010.

The next-generation iPhone's display has been the topic of significant discussion since Daring Fireball's John Gruber reported that it would carry a resolution of 960 x 640 pixels, up from 480 x 320 in the current iPhone. Despite the appearance of several prototype iPhones in recent weeks, the only confirmation of the higher resolution display has been a qualitative comparison with the current iPhone suggesting that it is the case. DigiTimes' report today again suggests that the new iPhone will in fact carry a 960 x 640 screen.

The next-generation iPhone's display will also reportedly adopt fringe-field switching (FFS), a technology that should improve viewing angles and performance in bright sunlight.
By incorporating FFS technology, which enables a wider viewing angle and clearer visual quality under in sunlight, Apple is aiming to improve the handset's e-book reader features and promote its iBooks Store. HTC's Hero smartphone has already adopted this technology.
The report also notes that the panel on the new iPhone is 33% thinner than in current models, allowing for increased battery size.

In addressing the brains behind the forthcoming iPhone, the report claims that users can expect an ARM Cortex A8 processor, of which the Apple A4 processor used in the iPad and observed in one of the prototypes is an implementation. The report claims, however, that it will also offer 512 MB of RAM.
The iPhone 4G will run on the Arm Cortex A8 processor and a 512MB memory module from Samsung Electronics, doubling the memory capacity seen in the iPhone 3GS to take advantage of the multi-tasking capability of the iPhone 4.0 platform, Kuo revealed.
This information conflicts with evidence from the prototype that recently surfaced in Vietnam, which carries only 256 MB of RAM, the same as in both the iPad and the iPhone 3GS.

Apple is widely expected to introduce the new iPhone on June 7th at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

Article Link: DigiTimes Claims Display Improvements in Next-Generation iPhone

JS77

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
I would have thought introducing haptic feedback was a sure in... ah well, maybe for the 4G'S' :rolleyes:

Comment

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
I cannot wait! Really hoping for an international launch on June 7th - PLEASE not another staggered international release with delays after delays for non-US customers...

Fabian

Comment

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
I have been following Apple-related rumors for years and I can't remember a single time when Digitimes was correct. I'm sure they must be right occasionally, but I can't remember the last time. Anybody know?

Comment

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
Since the iPad has 256MB memory I'd be amazed if the next iPhone had any more -- clearly that's what Apple currently believe is the sweet spot in terms of price/performance. They don't like putting costly parts in their products unless it is absolutely necessary.

Comment

Robbadore64

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
Poor devs

So how many displays are developers going to have to account for? And what about pricing? Something like:
$.99 for iPhone
$2.99 for iPhone 4G
$4.99 for iPad

I hope not.....:rolleyes:

Comment

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Now why on earth didn't they put 512MB RAM in the iPad to begin with??? And yes...that's a rhetorical question as I realize it'll be yet another one of the upgrades in iPad 2.0.

Bah!

:apple:

--DotComCTO

Comment

grayskies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
all of the these leaks and teaser are working on me ( intentional or not )

- I'm ready to purchase

Comment

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Almost a Mac Mini in your hand.

My problem with the iPhone is typing, and I wish I had a software like Black Berry Pin.

Does anybody knows about an application like that or a BB Pin emulator?

Comment

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
I'm sorry, but how could they possibly release a new phone a year later that will be expected to run bigger, badder versions of the OS and NOT upgrade the RAM? Makes me wonder what's going on with that Vietnamese phone...

Comment

koach

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
I would be very surprised if the iPhone has more RAM than the iPad.

Comment

Xavier

Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
This iPhone will have more ram, about the same resolution, and probably about the same amount of space as my old iMac!

Comment

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
All right! Larger screen resolution :D The downside is that apps will have to scale and developers will have to support yet another screen resolution. I guess Apple will not change the physical screen size since the old and new resolutions have the same aspect ratio.

Comment

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
All right! Larger screen resolution :D The downside is that apps will have to scale and developers will have to support yet another screen resolution. I guess Apple will not change the physical screen size since the old and new resolutions have the same aspect ratio.

Pixelation is only noticeable if the picture physically covers a larger area. Resolution doubling would be on automatic for all non-2x apps.

i'm curious how this is going to affect the screen's resistance (or lack, thereof) to crack.

The LCD panel is thinner, not the actual protective outer layer (which is apparently much harder zirconia.

Comment

fourthtunz

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
This is all very cool.
I do hope Apple will bring it to verizon, competition is always good.
tethering would be nice as well.
Is the 64 gig version coming as well?
We Apple consumers don't expect much do we?:)

Comment

TehGuitarist

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
Regarding the whole ram in the prototype thing.

I have two thoughts.. one.. its a prototype.....

two.. maybe the A4 chip has onboard ram, i don't know much about microprocessors but i'm sure its a possibility.

As to why the ipad doesn't have 512, well it leaves an upgrade path. Don't bash apple for having a smart business ethic. If they want to sell ipads in the future when there are more competitors, then they need something new to give the people. This isn't a new tactic.

Comment

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
If the next iPhone really does have 512MB of RAM, I wouldn't be that surprised. I feel that the Vietnam prototype (as well as the one from Twitter in February) are older revisions, unlike Grey Powell's which was never dissected to know the specs (at least to our knowledge).

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Why release specs that are different than the leaked specs?

Did they not see the leaked iPhones?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.