Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Check out the specs of the new htc hd3...it has a 1280x800 resolution in a 4.5 inch screen. I did some searching and I couldn't find any info on a screen like that...but htc apparently has it...so I guess it exists. I find it believable that apple will have that new screen for their iPhones..

The pixel density of the new htc panel is 335ppi. So for everyone out there saying it doesn't exist....there ya go!

I believe I saw one of those in the wild yesterday :cool: (I live near Redmond).

You sure about that? The HD3 seems to be a fake concept by this guy: http://nak-design.over-blog.fr/
http://wmpoweruser.com/?tag=nak
"Owners of a HD2, here is my personal concept of what I imagine the HTC HD3 will be like."

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
I believe I saw one of those in the wild yesterday :cool: (I live near Redmond).

Was it at a Bar? :D

All the specs for the HD3 are insane. 1280x800 OLED, 1.5GHz processor, 1GB ram, ultra thin, HDMI out, with long battery life. It almost seems far fetched to me. It is more powerful than most tablets/netbooks, yet claims 8 hour battery life into cellphone size... This is borderline edge of current technology limits. It seems more like a fanboy dream.

I wonder if it is using a PenTile RGBW matrix display, that would easily account for the high pixel density.
http://nouvoyance.com/technology.html

PenTile variations have been used as a way to cheap out and advertise higher resolutions. I have had these in low resolution models on older cameras and they suck. 320x200 PenTile sucks hard compared to 320x200 full RGB. It has clearly lower effective resolution than a full matrix, but when your DPI is in overkill territory no one will notice the deficit.

Most small OLEDs are using a variation on these as it helps offset other OLED issues and if you go high enough resolution you no longer see artifacts. If the HD3 is real it is almost certainly penTile, but I doubt Apple will.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
You sure about that? The HD3 seems to be a fake concept by this guy: http://nak-design.over-blog.fr/
http://wmpoweruser.com/?tag=nak
"Owners of a HD2, here is my personal concept of what I imagine the HTC HD3 will be like."

There are many other sites listing the specs and claiming that they are legitimate leaked specs from workers at htc. We won't know for sure until it actually comes out...but there is no shortage of websites claiming these exact specs
http://www.redmondpie.com/htc-hd3-specifications-leaks-in-the-wild-9140390/

Just search htc hd3 and see that it is obviously not a concept by some random dude..

Either way...the existence of a LCD panel in the market (or lack thereof) doesn't dictate whether apple will/can put one in there next iPhone...
Of all of the manufacturers out there, apple certainly has the money to custom order and fabricate a panel like that for use in their devices...they order so many that they can totally afford to have something custome made for them.

This whole argument is pointless....neither of us know what is going to be in the next iPhone...it's all just speculation, but i certainly think it's within the realm of possibilities...as i posted earlier, a small company owned by friends of mine was able to obtain 1280x720 5 inch panels for use in their products...and they have a very limited budget.
If the hd3 specs are true...then that unbelievable ppi of 330 is apparently attainable...

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
Hope is not an option

Holy Mole! I hope the release of the new phone pulls AAPL stock out of the BP Oil Slick.

We need a home run here! I think we all have BIG hopes for June.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
720x480

I still think it's going to be the 3.4" 720x480 res screen. To me the bigger question is what kind of panel will it be? TFT, IPS, AMOLED? Rather than will it be 720x480 or 960x640.

Bottom line, if its 960x640, I'll be glad to be wrong. But its not going to be that.

Also, I seriously doubt it's going to have anything more than 256MB RAM. Just not gonna happen. The RAM, CPU, and GPU are all one package, its clearly going to have the same A4 chip as in the iPad. Speculating on anything else is just dreaming.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
There are many other sites listing the specs and claiming that they are legitimate leaked specs from workers at htc. We won't know for sure until it actually comes out...but there is no shortage of websites claiming these exact specs

Just search htc hd3 and see that it is obviously not a concept by some random dude..

Rumors get recycled all the time. That other sites are claiming the same thing doesn't make it true, just recycling of the same source.

StefSSU

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2009
London
While I share your skepticism of a 960x640 display, I don't think not finding it already in production is a reason. Apple has enough sway to get made to order screens and a period of exclusivity.

I figure it won't be there because it is ridiculous overkill that mainly benefits the spec sheet. Exactly the kind of thing Apple normally doesn't do.

This. Apple focuses on the overall experience for the end user, not on upping other companies or products with specifications, at least certainly not when it comes to their consumer hardware, ala iPhone, iPod, iPad, MacBook, iMac. Traditionally Apple have always been slow to accommodate higher resolution displays in it's mobile Macs, why should the iPhone be so radically different?
720x480 is a huge resolution on such a small display, and allows for easy scaling for applications (although admittedly 960x640 would allow true pixel-doubling techniques). The truth is, most users wouldn't notice the difference, and Apple would still be able to laud the new display, especially if it's not a PenTile matrix. Stop wishing and then complaining when you're disappointed.

If Apple does indeed decide to wow the world, why would you rather be able to say dully "I told you so.", than to exclaim loudly "I didn't think it were possible!"?

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
...the use of a 720x480 panel would almost negate any possible benefits because it would need antialiasing and software scaling (which could additionally slow the phone). Unless they ask developers to rewrite their apps in another new resolution, then graphics would look possibly worse than they do now. Only benefit of the screen would be in text (but that would have to be addressed as well since the larger text on an iPad running an iPhone app isn't smoothed to native resolution either)
I will be incredibly surprised if they go with 720x480.
Although my opinion is not based on his article....vie spoken with him before and gruber seems to know something about this. Not to mention his track record is somewhat accurate. Digitimes is not quite as stellar,,,but as a backup source, i find it believable.
The question of what type Of display...I think its absurd to think that they would use amoled...the colors are completely unrealistic and the outdoor viewing is horrendous. I have a nexus one (which i don't use any more..till 2.2 and flash come...my 3GS is so much easier to type on..jail broken it does everything my n1 does) and the screen was the reason i bought it...then i got it and realized that the subpixel layout really makes it pixelated looking, the droid screen blows it away. Also, it's very hard to read outside...and on my n1, I have gotten a ton of dust under the screen...really makes it hard to read in the sunlight. As far as the iphone, I think it will be a type of ips display...which fringe field display is one.

If there are typos in this, sorry...laziness and iPad are to blame.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
*clipped for brevity, and to spare others of your painful drivel *

Wow, is all I can state. Just... wow... I feel for ya bud, I do. Peace out.

Now, on topic, can't wait for the new iPhone, looks like it will be a big jump from the current 3GS models. :)

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Either way...the existence of a LCD panel in the market (or lack thereof) doesn't dictate whether apple will/can put one in there next iPhone...
Of all of the manufacturers out there, apple certainly has the money to custom order and fabricate a panel like that for use in their devices...they order so many that they can totally afford to have something custome made for them.

This whole argument is pointless....neither of us know what is going to be in the next iPhone...it's all just speculation, but i certainly think it's within the realm of possibilities...as i posted earlier, a small company owned by friends of mine was able to obtain 1280x720 5 inch panels for use in their products...and they have a very limited budget.
If the hd3 specs are true...then that unbelievable ppi of 330 is apparently attainable...

You apparently didn't look at the links I posted at all.

ALL of the sites point to the same source. This is the usual blogs all copying each other.

One of the links actually shows where the guy posted his mock-up and called it a concept.

IT'S NOT REAL!

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Oh Anuba, first it was the iPhone wasn't good because it didn't HAVE these features, now it isn't good because these features are too much and undetectable by "the human eye". :rolleyes:

How's that iMac that you refuse to fix and curse at Apple everyday for having, the same iMac that your girlfriend uses, did it magically fix itself? Give. It. A. Rest. Troll

PS Don't start in with "I like Apple products" lies. Perusing just one page of your comments and almost every post is in a negative thread about Apple products (such as https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?searchid=20406489&pp=25&page=35 ).

You claim you own a MacBook but yet last year wrote this:

This quote sums up your stance on Apple, even though you claim not to have a bias against Apple:

So again, why have you been trolling MacRumors proudly since 2005 with 2,555 posts (and counting)?

...long winded defensive response in 3...2...1...

Bingo ;)

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
While it is true that there's more to life than specs, I do own an iPad and can say more RAM is desperately required when switching back and forth between "tabs" in safari you'll notice that it's constancy dumping pages from cache. It's more than mildly annoying when filling out forms and cross referencing information.

I also have apps on my 3GS (256mb of RAM) that give me a low memory warning everytime I start them up, even on a fresh reboot.

Current apps may run, but you're limiting the potential of future apps, especially when adding features like a high res screen and front facing camera.

More RAM or I'll pass.
What the hell are you speaking about ???
Name a single application that five you a "low memory warning" (never seen on an iPhone !) when started on a 3gs ...

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
^not on my 3GS, but on the iPad i often get a low memory message when opening "we rule".
Recently did the virtual memory hack and now i don't ever get that message..and i never have tabs reloading in safari...it can keep like 8 graphically heavy pages in memory now.

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
Here guys.
Go find their sites and products, go look up their displays - tell me if you can find ANYTHING in 960x480 OR 960x640, it simply doesn't exist - and no news posts or PR announcements in the past 9 months (besides iphone rumours) have clarified this.

Traditionally news gurus, nerds and smart people will correlate new products with existing core part news announcements. Example if a new flash chip, capable of holding 128gb in a single package was announced, one can guess SSD's using the old manufactrers chips will increase in size soon or phones (etc)

There's NO NEWS on a 960x??? touch screen display anywhere - if you find it, bring it here. Debating is pointless - let's do the googling and find it, I've tried and I can't find anything.

Oh for pete's sake, have you considered the possibility that the display Apple will use isn't out in the wild yet?

The bespoke tiny Intel CPU for the MacBook Air is one of many examples of Apple going to a company and promising a huge number of orders for a bespoke solution. Did you hear about the Intel chip before the MBA was announced? Of course not. There's no reason why you should already be aware of/be able to find the display that will be used in the new iPhone

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
LOL !

p.s. the wife and I are buying our first iPhones in June. We've been practising on our iPod Touches in anticipation for summer 2010.

This iPhone better kick some serious Droid ass or some Genius bar heads are gonna roll.

Sorry but what does the Genius bar have to do with anything? You think Genius' have a say in what products Apple makes? I doubt that very much.

If the iPhone doesn't live up to your expectations and you go moaning about it to the Genius' in your local Apple Store, don't expect to get a very welcome reception

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Sorry but what does the Genius bar have to do with anything? You think Genius' have a say in what products Apple makes? I doubt that very much.

If the iPhone doesn't live up to your expectations and you go moaning about it to the Genius' in your local Apple Store, don't expect to get a very welcome reception
That's how it works. If one of Apple's competitors releases a new product, you go down to the nearest Genius bar and smash some heads. It's like mailbox baseball, the mailboxes themselves are innocent of course.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Oh for pete's sake, have you considered the possibility that the display Apple will use isn't out in the wild yet?

The bespoke tiny Intel CPU for the MacBook Air is one of many examples of Apple going to a company and promising a huge number of orders for a bespoke solution. Did you hear about the Intel chip before the MBA was announced? Of course not. There's no reason why you should already be aware of/be able to find the display that will be used in the new iPhone

You like that word....bespoke. You silly Brits! :p J/K

Wow, you completely missed the joke.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
^not on my 3GS, but on the iPad i often get a low memory message when opening "we rule".
Recently did the virtual memory hack and now i don't ever get that message..and i never have tabs reloading in safari...it can keep like 8 graphically heavy pages in memory now.

Blame the application developer for that ...

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
I'm sorry but just because some of it makes a small portion of sense doesn't mean it's logical.
Doubling the resolution of the iphone is insane, 330 PPI is bloody high and likely expensive. I for one can NOT find a manufacturer of a panel which even does the claimed resolution.

A 720x480 display would still scale 'fairly well' all things considered because it's still so damned high anyhow that people will have difficulty spotting the pixels, why bother throwing the extra money, cpu, memory, battery at an even higher one which frankly - few people will notice?

I wasn't referring to the A4 chip since that is a known item anyhow, sorry I didn't make that clear.
So driving and processing four times as many display pixels comes for free? I doubt it.
Even if this were so, 960x640 @ 330 PPI? I doubt it.

960x640 on a 3.5" translates to 329 PPI. Since a human eye in mint condition is unable to differentiate detail beyond 300 PPI, it sounds like overkill, literally.

Man, I love to say I told you so…:

https://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/29/next-iphone-screen-resolution-confirmed-at-960x640/

Haha!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.