DirecTV Now Lost 267K Subscribers Last Quarter, Partly Due to End of Apple TV Offer

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 30, 2019.

1. grobik macrumors member

grobik

I've bounced around with all of them.
    Sling: best price. Few channels and have to add on too many extras.
    Dtvn: most channels in one bundle. Also C-SPAN and $5 HBO.
    YouTube TV: good DVR and best interface. Spotty channel selection.
    Philo: no local networks. But cheap BBC and science and Nick Jr.
    Hulu: good Apple TV TV app integration but still not a great lineup.
    Psvue: most TV everywhere app logins. Missing Viacom. Only one CNN let's you sign in with.

Right now I'm doing PS Vue base package and Philo for the Viacom channels. All in about$60. Then hulu regular with no ads. Curiosity stream and I pay for pbs all access for $5. So just under $70. I might go back to YouTube. Give up the app logins with PS Vue for the DVR features on YouTube.

2. ravenstar macrumors regular

Since when was raising prices a competitive tactic?

3. hinesmj macrumors 6502

YouTube TV is pretty good and offers local channels. I've been using it for about 4 months and I love it.

4. Pheebers macrumors newbie

Which is the best for letting you skip commercials? We tried PSVue and then switched to DTVN for the Apple TV offer, and we're pretty miserable with the interface and not being able to fast forward.

I'm not a TV watcher much, but the shows my family watches are on MSNBC, Food Network, Spike, and E if that matters.

5. mic j macrumors 68030

That was my experience with Directv Now as well (DVR was not available at the time I tried it). And the cost of my DirecTv service, with a good DVR, picture quality and reliability, is worth the small increase in cost.

6. grobik macrumors member

grobik

Unfortunately none are really. They've gotten good at embedding ads. YouTube for me is the best handler of this though. I think it's the way they do DVR. When you DVR it splices the show and adds its own commercials on. It's like watching Hulu with ads. So rather than watching a 5 minute stream of local ads it's the same one or two Every break.

7. deeddawg, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019

deeddawg macrumors 604

Weird. I never see buffering, and I'm on 20Mbps at the weekend place (gigabit fiber at home).
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2019 ---
    Assuming you live close enough to the transmitters and/or don't live in a hole.

My home is surrounded by trees and sits between two ridges -- even in the suburbs of a metro area and my OTA reception is pretty bad -- with a $70 antenna in the attic. I plan to try it mounted externally when weather permits, but for now OTA isn't an option. At our rural weekend cabin I'd need a roof mounted rotater and high gain antenna since the broadcast stations are scattered directionally and at distances varying from 30-60 miles.
    I do need to look into that.

How is the UI for channel guide and seeing what's on? I have the basic hulu service (BlackFriday year-for-99-cents-a-month) deal and frankly the UI seems to waste a lot of screen space.

I'll get around to trying the one-week-trial sometime, just want to ensure I'll have the time to really work it through its paces in the week. :)

Must have been quite a while ago.

No satellite requirement in December 2017.
    You're in luck. You can cancel the service from the website and escape having to talk to a live person.

Capture.PNG
    Which of the above allow pausing live TV, ideally with ability to back up / replay?

That's the only big thing I miss on DTVN. I share the one sub between home and a weekend cabin, so streaming service is a big plus on cost for my scenario. I get the full set of local channels here, imagine that'd be an annoyance if I was somewhere that didn't get them.

No, my DTVN service isn't perfect, but it gets the job done for the stuff we watch. We don't DVR much, but what I do record seems to work fine. Picture quality and responsiveness is fine at the weekend place with 20Mbps service and of course is great at home with gigabit fiber service.

Hope to see the providers keep competing.

8. BaracksPhallusPalace macrumors member

BaracksPhallusPalace

anything AT&T pushes these days is garbage that isn't competitive on a pricing, or features. Their prepaid wireless service is horrific, and is trapped in the early 2000's with it's complete lack of modern features such as wifi calling or VoLTE, meanwhile I can go over to MetroPCS and get unlimited w/ everything you would get with a T-Mobile postpaid plan for the same price. DTVNow is no different... I've been happily using YouTube TV and for $35/mo... it's been rock solid and it has everything I want to watch with the exception of the NFL network, which is only an issue for a 1/4 of the year.

9. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Maybe it's better now, I don't know. When I used it, it was a total joke. The 20 hours of DVR is a joke too. That's why I decided to stick with YouTube TV. Between that and ESPN+ I can watch any sporting event I want.

10. deeddawg, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019

deeddawg macrumors 604

I've been using it over a year now and hadn't seen the buffering issue you describe, even on 20Mbps service, so it must have been quite a while ago.

I don't DVR much stuff, largely since so much is available on-demand these days. What I do DVR gets watched within a day or two -- so 20 hours content hasn't been an issue. Different needs for different folks.

I’ve checked out YouTubeTV and like being able to pause live TV — but they’re missing various channels that my wife enjoys... That makes them a non-starter. Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Edit: also tried out Hulu Live TV. Not allowed to use one subscription for home and our weekend place. Seems nice otherwise but since the ability to use one subscription at two locations is a core requirement for us, Hulu is also out of the running.

11. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I live too far away. I bought a pretty nice indoor antenna and couldn’t pull any channels. The house isn’t wired for cable so putting an outside one would be a little more costly.

12. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Not local in my area. Hulu is the only one and it’s the same price as my discounted Spectrum.

13. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

They did have lots of buffering problems early on. We joined it at launch, and it was quite annoying.

But that's been over for a while now.

14. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I streamed the entire Super Bowl last night on DTV Now and had not one issue. Now when I'm watching something that I DVR'd, I definitely have the buffering issue quite often (especially after fast forwarding through commercials), which is a minor inconvenience, especially when we have 100/100mbps Fios internet.

15. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Weird. I had it as recently as 4-6 months ago. It never seemed to get any better.

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I don't know, but we haven't had the problem on live TV in a while. It was a major issue at launch and right after. At that time, the only reason we stuck with them was because PS Vue lost the Viacom channels. Now, the service is pretty reliable for us.

As for the DVR, that kind of sucks in general compared to PS Vue, but we still aren't having the buffering issues there, either. Also 100 mbps down.

17. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Weird. I don't know what the issue was then. Oh well. YouTube TV works for the little I watch.