Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noatonement

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
So this is probably the first complaint i have ever had about an iPhone i have owned..

I am way past my warranty and thought that i'd open up my phone to take a look at it, i was even thinking about changing the face plates.

Well when i open up the phone, i find that a majority of the screws are stripped... which really disappointed me, seeing as i would not be able to change anything on the phone now besides the back plate...

noatonement

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Umm... what would you change INSIDE the phone??

For me to change the front face plate and the home button, i'd have to take the motherboard out and such.. and the screws to get to that are all stripped...

jlluna

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Holly Michigan
Thats strange.:confused: Did you buy the phone used or new? I have replaced about 11 iPhone 4 screens and never ran into that, Unless the person opened it before and striped them. The screws do break very easy so be careful with that.

noatonement

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Thats strange.:confused: Did you buy the phone used or new? I have replaced about 11 iPhone 4 screens and never ran into that, Unless the person opened it before and striped them. The screws do break very ease so be careful with that.

I bought the phone new and this is the first time i have opened it

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Ok, I want to make sure I understand this.

You are disappointed that Apple didn't make a phone that allowed for heavy modification by the end user?

Really?

And are you sure the screws are stripped out? Because the new phones don't use phillips screws anymore, or torx.

Google is your friend.

noatonement

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Ok, I want to make sure I understand this.

You are disappointed that Apple didn't make a phone that allowed for heavy modification by the end user?

Really?

And are you sure the screws are stripped out? Because the new phones don't use phillips screws anymore, or torx.

Google is your friend.

The screws inside my phone are all philips, the two screws on the bottom are not, but those are easily removed. Also, for a phone that is so well built and put together, runs flawlessly, i would not expect screws to be stripped inside the phone.

Dumbledorelives

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
The screws inside my phone are all philips, the two screws on the bottom are not, but those are easily removed. Also, for a phone that is so well built and put together, runs flawlessly, i would not expect screws to be stripped inside the phone.

It's not designed so you can open it. So really, this is just part of the design.

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
Oh yeah so were mine because they came home to find that the VCR was disassembled and I was halfway through the screws on the back of an old Cathode Television. Needless to say, my father hid all of his tools from me until I was older.

hahahaha I have done this before, as well.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Hehehe, this is becoming a nice thread. I could open almost anything my parents wanted to keep me out. And I made blood drawing sharp knives and swords from wood that I found. I would sharpen the blades
On stone and wrap the handle for more grip. But every morning they where gone. Unless I did hide them outside the garden.

But ot, the screws shouldn't be stripped. I never have seen that either in the 6 iPhones I opened.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA

Were you thinking that it would need those screws to function? It should't ever have to be opened, except for by Apple techs. Most people who have iPhones, aren't going to think that the product is any less "magical" just because Apple didn't let them take it apart and play with it.

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
OP:
I'm sorry I don't understand what you are saying. The threads are stripped? Or the heads of the screws are stripped?

Can you post a picture or two? How bad?

I don't see the big deal about opening up his phone. It's his to do with what he pleases. If he wants to carry it without a case or take it apart, big freaking deal.

staeit

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2011
So this is probably the first complaint i have ever had about an iPhone i have owned..

I am way past my warranty and thought that i'd open up my phone to take a look at it, i was even thinking about changing the face plates.

Well when i open up the phone, i find that a majority of the screws are stripped... which really disappointed me, seeing as i would not be able to change anything on the phone now besides the back plate...
Maybe it stripped because you tried turning the screws the wrong way. Just remember... righty tighty, lefty loosey. Live by those words.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Hehehe, this is becoming a nice thread. I could open almost anything my parents wanted to keep me out. And I made blood drawing sharp knives and swords from wood that I found. I would sharpen the blades
On stone and wrap the handle for more grip. But every morning they where gone. Unless I did hide them outside the garden.

But ot, the screws shouldn't be stripped. I never have seen that either in the 6 iPhones I opened.

Um, you don't have a collection of eyelids hanging inside your closet, do you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.