Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allonym

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Personally I'm not overly worried about the home screen as I spend massively more time using apps than switching between them. I do think the home screen benefits a bit from being taller but apps do too, and that's much more important to me. This is from a while ago and isn't exactly the rumoured resolution, but you get the general idea:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/9/2937265/the-4-inch-iphone-5

I know I've posted this before in the last couple of days but I think it's worth it. I'm really surprised how much better (I think) apps look on the taller screen.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Funny how some complain about Apple's secrecy and they want full disclosure in advance

While others expect Apple to have something in their hip pocket to reveal at an event to wow the audience, the "one more thing" factor

I think Apple has very valid reasons for their secrecy
Hype
Competitive advantage
Current sales

But I think the wow factor has become more of a user expectation than an Apple reality

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Funny how some complain about Apple's secrecy and they want full disclosure in advance

While others expect Apple to have something in their hip pocket to reveal at an event to wow the audience, the "one more thing" factor

I think Apple has very valid reasons for their secrecy
Hype
Competitive advantage
Current sales

But I think the wow factor has become more of a user expectation than an Apple reality

Definitely agree with this.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Here is what I do not understand... Why would you expect the icons to be that close together???

Are they that close together on the iPad??

Ahhh. You caught me. Regarding this, I feel this is all personal preferences.
While I do not like many extra app icons on my enlarged phone, I certainly do not want my iPhone to maintain the same number of apps on the home screen, only that the app icons are spaced out and enlarged.
When you do this, it affects alot of things.
These theories are certainly made up in my mind to counter your comment :p
1. Distinction
If you simply spaced out the app icons more, people can't distinct. This is actually a sales marketing thing. Its like ''My new iPhone 5 has a bigger screen, yet people can't distinct it enough because it still has the same number of app icons.'' compared to ''My new iPhone 5 has a bigger screen, at least people can distinct it with alot of app icons.''
Of course, this factor seems abit redundant even to myself, but still... it will happen.

2. Aesthetics
While adding more and more app icons is not weird but is still tad confusing, retaining the number of app icons is another thing. When you have the extra screen size, it is only a natural thing to add more content, not decrease the content.

The iPad is another thing. Its a tablet. Content is much more far away as you would usually use the iPad at a distance away from you. This means you can't clutter the home screen as users will find it abit hard to differentiate and maybe find it confusing. Try placing the iPad at the normal distance away from you and imagine it cluttered with icons.

For the iPhone, it is still possible to clutter the home screen, with my render posted above. However again, cluttering the home screen is still not right as it is still confusing nevertheless, but not as bad as the one on the iPad.

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
I wonder if on car forums people whine about Porsche not dramatically changing there design.

I feel like apple kind of has the same thing going, they have made a device that is instantly recognizable as an apple device. It is basically an iconic design and there seems to be no point in abandoning it completely.

Actually, some do.

Sorry, though, but I don't think the design of the iPhone is iconic. If it was, why would everyone always cover it up? It would be like people driving around in Porsches covered with a plastic car cover. What makes it instantly recognizable as an Apple device is the screen and the software, not the external design which is rarely seen.

The iPhone design is nice in a retro kind of way. Steve Jobs himself described it as having a similar feel to an old Leica camera. I'd like to see something more modern and sleek that wouldn't require a bulky cover for protection and to make it look more modern. I have never had my bumper or case off for any period of time other than to plug it into the mounting bracket in my car.

And another point for those against a larger screen...take an iPhone in a case (which almost all are...I don't think I've ever seen one naked in the wild), an compare it to the size of an Android phone with a 4.3in screen (most of which do no have covers). They are about the same size.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Absolutely agree they are holding back something significant. But I don't feel a new way to use the extra space is a big enough selling point to hide from everyone. IMO

I do not really expect it to be something with the home screen, and I hope it isn't just NFC...

It could easily be something many do not think they want or need, but when they have it... They love it...

Two good examples: My car has a heated steering wheel... Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought of ever having that feature in my car... Now that I have it, and have used it... EVERY car I buy must have it, unless I move to a warmer area (or global warming cancels out winter here in StL).

Second Example - The mute switch, It is so nice to not have to slide to unlock, type in my passcode, then toggle down the volume.

Ahhh. You caught me. Regarding this, I feel this is all personal preferences.
While I do not like many extra app icons on my enlarged phone, I certainly do not want my iPhone to maintain the same number of apps on the home screen, only that the app icons are spaced out and enlarged.
These theories are certainly made up in my mind to counter your comment :p
1. Distinction
If you simply spaced out the app icons more, people can't distinct. This is actually a sales marketing thing. Its like ''My new iPhone 5 has a bigger screen, yet people can't distinct it enough because it still has the same number of app icons.'' compared to ''My new iPhone 5 has a bigger screen, at least people can distinct it with alot of app icons.''
Of course, this factor seems abit redundant even to myself, but still... it will happen.

2. Aesthetics
While adding more and more app icons is not weird but is still tad confusing, retaining the number of app icons is another thing. When you have the extra screen size, it is only a natural thing to add more content, not decrease the content.

The iPad is another thing. Its a tablet. Content is much more far away as you would usually use the iPad at a distance away from you. This means you can't clutter the home screen as users will find it abit hard to differentiate and maybe find it confusing. Try placing the iPad at the normal distance away from you and imagine it cluttered with icons.

For the iPhone, it is still possible to clutter the home screen, with my render posted above. However again, cluttering the home screen is still not right as it is still confusing nevertheless, but not as bad as the one on the iPad.

I get where you are coming from, That makes sense.

However, assuming they are doing 16:9 no matter what... They could make the phone taller and wider, say a 4.3" screen... And had the 5th row of app icons AND make them slightly larger.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sorry, though, but I don't think the design of the iPhone is iconic. If it was, why would everyone always cover it up? It would be like people driving around in Porsches covered with a plastic car cover. What makes it instantly recognizable as an Apple device is the screen and the software, not the external design which is rarely seen.

I disagree
I do think it is iconic

And not everyone covers it up
I use mine naked and I see MANY doing the same thing

And your comparison to the Porsche covered with plastic, well, that is a ridiculous comparison
As I said before, any comparison between phones and cars is apples and oranges

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Personally I'm not overly worried about the home screen as I spend massively more time using apps than switching between them. I do think the home screen benefits a bit from being taller but apps do too, and that's much more important to me. This is from a while ago and isn't exactly the rumoured resolution, but you get the general idea:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/9/2937265/the-4-inch-iphone-5

I know I've posted this before in the last couple of days but I think it's worth it. I'm really surprised how much better (I think) apps look on the taller screen.

Your point is correct. But my point is Yes you do benefit from enlarging the iPhone's screen size by the width and length, but does have certain restrictions especially software. iOS is designed in such a way that users interact with icons. If Apple does not handle these icons properly when they make significant changes to the screen size, it is going to affect the user experience ALOT. Springboard is one of iOS and the iPhone's distinctive feature.
The current iOS design and interface is perfect for the current 3.5 inch size which many considers to be mini-size for a smartphone. Hence, Apple is trying ways to enlarge the screen without causing too much hiccups. And elongating the screen is not the greatest solution, but the best for now. If Apple introduces widgets, automatic resizing of apps to developers and so on, then apple is free to explore any screen size they want.

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
I disagree
I do think it is iconic

And your comparison to the Porsche covered with plastic, well, that is a ridiculous comparison

I have seen maybe one or 2 naked iPhones being used by people in the last 2+ years since they came out. The VAST majority are covered in a bumper or case of some sort...I'd say around 95+% of users.

The Porsche reference was a response to the previous poster who I quoted, likening the iPhone to the 911. My point, which is valid, is that the 911 (which is an iconic shape) does not get covered up with a plastic case when being driven around. Who would do that? If the iPhone is such an iconic design, why would everyone be willing to cover it up?

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I have seen maybe one or 2 naked iPhones being used by people in the last 2+ years since they came out. The VAST majority are covered in a bumper or case of some sort...I'd say around 95+% of users.

The Porsche reference was a response to the previous poster who I quoted, likening the iPhone to the 911. My point, which is valid, is that the 911 (which is an iconic shape) does not get covered up with a plastic case when being driven around. Who would do that? If the iPhone is such an iconic design, why would everyone be willing to cover it up?

I think IPhone 4/4S is a great looking phone. Best out there. However, it is not every ergonomic at all. That is why I used a case for the longest but I have gone naked for the last 6 months or so. I hate cases.

allonym

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Your point is correct. But my point is Yes you do benefit from enlarging the iPhone's screen size by the width and length, but does have certain restrictions especially software. iOS is designed in such a way that users interact with icons. If Apple does not handle these icons properly when they make significant changes to the screen size, it is going to affect the user experience ALOT. Springboard is one of iOS and the iPhone's distinctive feature.
The current iOS design and interface is perfect for the current 3.5 inch size which many considers to be mini-size for a smartphone. Hence, Apple is trying ways to enlarge the screen without causing too much hiccups. And elongating the screen is not the greatest solution, but the best for now. If Apple introduces widgets, automatic resizing of apps to developers and so on, then apple is free to explore any screen size they want.
I suspect that Apple is after a way to make the screen bigger without making the phone significantly larger, and it seems like they have pretty much done that. I'm still a little bit worried about one-handed usability, but I think it will probably be ok with the new design. Don't get me wrong, although I don't spend a lot of time in the home screen, I do think it's design and usability are important and agree with your earlier posts that it is would be quite easy to screw it up - I see it as a get in and get out quickly sort of thing, and good, simple, minimalist design without confusion makes that easier.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I am wondering if Apple will do something with the extra space besides adding another row of icons. Maybe give us the option to put something else in the empty space? Of corse we don't know but are there any opinions on this?

That's why I said that Apple isn't most probably going to add widgets which screams ANDROID. The first thing people is going to say is ''It looks like an android, particularly a galaxy s'' which Apple is going to take a huge beating. Now its the iPhone which looks like the Galaxy S, not vice versa. Does anyone think of the lawsuit? I do.

Unless Apple comes up with an innovative unique way to fill up the extra space, it looks like Apple could only plagiarize Android by taking the idea of widgets into the home screen OR simply just fill in those spaces with icons. Being an Apple person myself, I can even say that Apple certainly got the idea of the notifications center pull down from Android.

While I don't wish to include android vs iOS argument into this thread.....

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I suspect that Apple is after a way to make the screen bigger without making the phone significantly larger, and it seems like they have pretty much done that. I'm still a little bit worried about one-handed usability, but I think it will probably be ok with the new design. Don't get me wrong, although I don't spend a lot of time in the home screen, I do think it's design and usability are important and agree with your earlier posts that it is would be quite easy to screw it up - I see it as a get in and get out quickly sort of thing, and good, simple, minimalist design without confusion makes that easier.

Agreed. My friend who has a Galaxy note would often encounter this problem like ''Wheres that app wheres that app'' *scroll scroll scroll* . Maybe its just him, but still yeah. For my iPhone on the other hand, I somehow could quickly easily find find my desired app scrolling through the home screens with just glances.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I disagree
I do think it is iconic

I think the iPhone 4/4S is beautiful. It is solid, a good weight, it feels sturdy and strong (all phones can break when dropped without a good case). When I hold it, I can feel the quality. When I had my GS2... It felt cheap by comparison.

I think IPhone 4/4S is a great looking phone. Best out there. However, it is not every ergonomic at all. That is why I used a case for the longest but I have gone naked for the last 6 months or so. I hate cases.

I hate them as well. I only used one on the iPhone 4 for protection and due to Antenna Gate... Now, I still use a case, but I would prefer not to. I had my previous case to stop scratches, it amazingly even prevented a few dents (first picture)...

Link for first case: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iFrogz+...&skuId=2381587&st=ifrogz ultra lean&cp=1&lp=2

My new case... Is because I am a Star Wars nerd, and because it is just awesome IMO (Second Picture).

Attachments

• oldiphonecase.jpg
    oldiphonecase.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
  • iPhone R2D2.jpg
    iPhone R2D2.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 48

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I think the iPhone 4/4S is beautiful. It is solid, a good weight, it feels sturdy and strong (all phones can break when dropped without a good case). When I hold it, I can feel the quality. When I had my GS2... It felt cheap by comparison.

I hate them as well. I only used one on the iPhone 4 for protection and due to Antenna Gate... Now, I still use a case, but I would prefer not to. I had my previous case to stop scratches, it amazingly even prevented a few dents (first picture)...

Link for first case: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iFrogz+...&skuId=2381587&st=ifrogz ultra lean&cp=1&lp=2

My new case... Is because I am a Star Wars nerd, and because it is just awesome IMO (Second Picture).

You might want to check out your 4S's camera lens. The first thing I notice is the eye lid syndrome on your camera lens. Its a known issue.
Btw, those who uses cases is mainly because of protection. Many of us are butter fingers at times, thus we want some insurance when we accidentally drop our iPhones. I use one too.
While I do agree the GS2 is cheap, the white one is but the black one isn't. The black one has a rough texture on the back which makes it more solid than the white. And I'm referring to the international version one.
Anyway, you case is awesome! I love the dust cover/plunger plugged into your headphone jack and particularly the design of the back.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
You might want to check out your 4S's camera lens. The first thing I notice is the eye lid syndrome on your camera lens. Its a known issue.
Btw, those who uses cases is mainly because of protection. Many of us are butter fingers at times, thus we want some insurance when we accidentally drop our iPhones. I use one too.
While I do agree the GS2 is cheap, the white one is but the black one isn't. The black one has a rough texture on the back which makes it more solid than the white. And I'm referring to the international version one.
Anyway, you case is awesome! I love the dust cover/plunger plugged into your headphone jack and particularly the design of the back.

Thanks

Yea, it sold me on the case for sure. It is R2D2's holographic projector (the second on the the top of his head)

I got the "eyelid syndrome" fixed yesterday. They replaced the camera.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007

Yea the antenna issue on the 4 is Definitly real. I see it everyday on mine. I like the star wars case!

My thoughts: If they made the iPhone into a 4.0", 4.1", 4.3" @ 3:2 Aspect ratio... The icon grid would not change, the icons would get slightly bigger, and slightly farther apart (they are not close together on the iPad)

I agree with Want300. I know where you are coming from CallOfDuty, and I completely agree with your OP, But I think if apple ever were to increase size in the 3:2 ratio, Apple would never make it large enough to be able to squeeze a whole extra row of icons. It would probably need to be >4.3" for them to fit and I don't see Apple going that large. I think it would just be 4.0 or 4.1 and stay the same number of apps... which is exactly why I agree that the LongPhone method works better.

I am wondering if Apple will do something with the extra space besides adding another row of icons. Maybe give us the option to put something else in the empty space? Of corse we don't know but are there any opinions on this?

My friend works at an Apple Retail store, and those employees are told nothing, and do not know more than we do. BUT, he has worked at my local store for several years, so he has an slightly better understanding of their thought process and their planning. We both think there will be something big they will give us at the keynote, something they have kept under wraps thus far. I look forward to that (assuming there is something)

This was my initial thought when I FIRST heard the concept of the stretched screen around March or so. Back when there were not even rumors about it, just one guys perspective on "what Apple could do." I thought we would get some sort of added functionality in that space like a widget bar or something else awesome. But the more I thought about it the less it made sense, especially when an extra row of icons fits so perfectly.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
This concept drawing for the next iPhone is different, without dropping the Steel Band Antenna system.

I would take this in heartbeat. He incorporates the Steelband Antenna, and has a spot on the back (similar to the LTE iPad)... This is essentially an iPhone meets iPad type design.

The only thing missing is the CDMA antenna (bottom of phone is missing the plastic break points) new dock connector, headphone jack location, and better speakers.

iphone5_concept2.jpg

iphone5_concept5.jpg

iphone5_concept3.jpg

iphone5_concept.jpg

iphone5_concept6.jpg

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
This concept drawing for the next iPhone is different, without dropping the Steel Band Antenna system.

I would take this in heartbeat. He incorporates the Steelband Antenna, and has a spot on the back (similar to the LTE iPad)... This is essentially an iPhone meets iPad type design.

The only thing missing is the CDMA antenna (bottom of phone is missing the plastic break points) new dock connector, headphone jack location, and better speakers.

I believe that is the "leaked" iPhone5 from last year, before we knew of the iPhone4S. Sporting the new 4.3" screen size rumored to be coming, from a rumored $billion deal Apple made with LG to supply millions of 4.3" screens for a future Apple product.

Also Case-Mate leaked this very same design last year, calling it the iPhone5, with the new screen being taller and wider than the current phone. Apple forced Case-Mate to take their pictures down.

Time will tell if we do get this next month.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I believe that is the "leaked" iPhone5 from last year, before we knew of the iPhone4S. Sporting the new 4.3" screen size rumored to be coming, from a rumored $billion deal Apple made with LG to supply millions of 4.3" screens for a future Apple product.

Also Case-Mate leaked this very same design last year, calling it the iPhone5, with the new screen being taller and wider than the current phone. Apple forced Case-Mate to take their pictures down.

Time will tell if we do get this next month.

These were from a graphic designer named Michal Bonikowski. This one isn't tapered though. You are probably right in terms of the supposed LG Deal rumor (if it happened). Which has been mentioned on these forums a bunch, but I cannot find anything about it. So I think that is a long shot

The only thing missing is the CDMA antenna (bottom of phone is missing the plastic break points) new dock connector, headphone jack location, and better

I agree that looks very pretty, but it's easy to make a design that isn't limited by real world factors like manufacturability, battery life, antenna limitations, and much more. There is a lot more that goes into designing these things than we realize.

For starters, I'm sure there is a reason Apple moved to the 2-button volume rocker approach. Maybe greater reliability? Or it provided easier discrete buttons for the user? Maybe because it works better as a camera button? Also, that small area at the top for the antenna is not nearly large enough. Remember all the reception complains on the first iPhone? And that space was huge.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012

The iPhone design certainly looks sleek, but the tapered back looks very weird. He could have shaved the curved back instead of making it look like as if the iPhone had a hunchback.
And if you had the same antenna design around the phone, there is no need for a black spot at the back for the antenna again.
The side view of the phone look extremely good, the headset is tad too long, and the camera lens is exaggerated.
However, this render is still goood.
But surprise- I still like the 'official' leaked design for some reason! :rolleyes:

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I agree that looks very pretty, but it's easy to make a design that isn't limited by real world factors like manufacturability, battery life, antenna limitations, and much more. There is a lot more that goes into designing these things than we realize.

For starters, I'm sure there is a reason Apple moved to the 2-button volume rocker approach. Maybe greater reliability? Or it provided easier discrete buttons for the user? Maybe because it works better as a camera button? Also, that small area at the top for the antenna is not nearly large enough. Remember all the reception complains on the first iPhone? And that space was huge.

I know what you are saying, I am a structural engineer, so I get the concept.

The difference with this phone and the original iPhone is that the designer still incorporated Apple's current antenna system for GSM, he did forget the separators for the CDMA Antenna (If it was real, that would be incorporated by Apple). If the black plastic portion was slightly larger, It would function just like the purported two tone iphone (cept only being on the top).

You are definitely right about the volume buttons, and I prefer the lock button on the top, I hated how it was on the side of the GS2 when I had it, I would squeeze the volume buttons every other time I hit the lock button. And it needs the mute switch. Gotta have that IMO.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012

The antenna design for the first iPhone was a total flop as compared to the second one which is the antenna design for the 4.
I was one of the seriously affected owners. Every time when I use the iPhone, my palms would be touching and covering up the black band at the bottom of the phone, affecting my signal. And AT&T aren't exactly a very robust network at that time, which network is?
Jumped to the 3GS, 4 on AT&T and then the White iPhone 4 on Verizon (Gave the AT&T 4 to my mom) which I'm using now. The 4 is still a problem but is a overblown issue. I personally have no problems with the 4 which I already stated in my thread- I find no purpose and reasons why someone would strangle specifically the bottom left part of the iPhone other than the replicate the issue. I don't see anyone strangling their iPhone so much, other than a slight tighter grip during calls, which is how the problem came about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.