Disappointed no touch numeric pad for phone calls

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by camaroIOM, Apr 24, 2015.

1. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

2. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

It is just intended for quick and common functions, so you'll be able to call to the friends you set up, but that's it. Keep in mind this is not supposed to be a phone strapped to your wrist, it is just a companion to enhance the phone during common tasks

3. djrm macrumors 6502

djrm

Seems surprising too. Simple thing to add. Samsung had it

4. bgj887 macrumors newbie

Cant figure out how to start a call on my phone and then transfer it to the watch, anyone know

5. djrm macrumors 6502

djrm

Switch a call from Apple Watch to iPhone. While talking on Apple Watch, just swipe up on the Phone icon in the bottom-left corner of the iPhone Lock screen. Or, if iPhone is unlocked, tap the green bar at the top of the screen.

6. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Uh, thats exactly what its supposed to be. its able to make calls, has a mic and a speaker. what are those features for if not to make it a phone strapped to your wrist.

no number pad is just stupid. like not coming with a calculator on board.

7. Djsage macrumors newbie

Djsage

Did you try using SIRI to dial a number for you.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Simple yes.

A good experience to peck at tiny numbers? No.

9. bgj887 macrumors newbie

i meant the other way around, example dial a number from your phone then switch to your watch

10. djrm macrumors 6502

djrm

Blimey, it's such a bad experience typing in your pin code when you remove the watch from your wrist, not.

(Asuming you have the pin activation set)

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I hate to admit that I do not know anyone phone number as the phone keeps them in contacts. I would have to look in my phone to find out what it is!:eek:

Anyway Siri does it well

12. djrm macrumors 6502

djrm

Sadly no, not possible

13. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Me either (except my wife) but I do use the number pad for conferences so it sucks not to have it.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Apple made it very clear why they chose the crown as the main input method (other than voice). They don't consider it a good experience to peck at the device and thus have removed as much pecking use cases as possible.

This is supposed to be the introduction to casual computing. Want to call someone? Just ask to do it. The whole point is a new paradigm, not sticking to features just because they can.

The PIN example is there for security, which is cumbersome intentionally.

15. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I don't see any value to this feature for myself, but I'm sure someone will create a third party app for it as soon as possible. I think there was already a Kickstarter for a keyboard app.

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Give it time and there might be an app for that!

Still waiting for weeks here as I ordered the black stainless watch and they are still in production likley due to the DLC coating.

17. djrm macrumors 6502

djrm

Was standard on other manufactures smart watches. Was always a show off point....look what I can do :cool:

18. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I don't think this will ever be an issue for me, but I can see why others might want it. Honestly, this is one of the things I expect to be added in an update. Force press the screen during a call, and a number pad option appears?

19. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Maybe but as of right now developers are only able to add 4 buttons max to the force-touch menu.

20. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Android Wear devices can't even make calls, you can only answer (connects via BT to a car or headset), or ignore, as it has no speaker. The Apple Watch is ahead there.

21. Kent01 macrumors 6502

You can only start a call from the Watch by using the contacts wheel or by using Siri.

22. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Sure, I meant it's just not something I would use. I certainly see how others would want this.

23. LxTxNx macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

I use dial keypad on my gear s all the time. I might just cancel my order every post I see I keep being more and more disappointed.

----------

Can you say dial 1-8-0-0 etc.? Or no?

24. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

If you're going to be in an environment where you're conversing on speakerphone, what's the issue with just dictating it and using Siri? Majority of the numbers you call will likely already be stored in your contacts anyway so phone number privacy would likely not be an issue either. ...Not that anyone cares to save the number you're dictating anyway.

25. LxTxNx macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

I can place receive and save calls directly from my gear s.

Attached Files: