Disappointed with Lion - rant

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ARK, Sep 18, 2011.

1. ARK macrumors 6502

Wifi
    Our wifi goes out to the laptop when it goes to sleep. Meanwhile the iPhones and iPad can use the wifi fine. A restart or shutdown of the laptop doesn't fix the problem I have to power down the time capsule to get wifi back. Ridiculous.

Random Freezes
    Laptop just freezes for no reason. I repair permissions but it doesn't affect it.

Kernel Panics
    I've gotten panics now ever since installing Lion. Snow Leopard never did this.

Slow
    Everything just seems slower. Windows pop up slower. Where did the fast go?

Overall Im pretty disappointed with Lion. Anyone else?

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

since this isn't common, and can happen after an install of leopard, snow leopard, in fact all the cats... re-install? sounds like something may be hosed.

3. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Isn't common? Please, Lion is a complete mess.
    OP, you are not alone. I have it on my sons MacBook and file transfers disconnect randomly on a 3gb file, same network. I am on SL so that should not make a bit of difference.

Buggy is an understatement. I think it's a half baked sorry OS.

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I am running Lion on all my Mac computers and have had no issues with WiFi, kernel panics or freezes. I suspect that something else is causing the issues. A few things to try here. First I would suggest that you reset PRAM.

Did you recently install extra third party RAM in the MacBook Pro? If so, I would suggest putting in the old RAM and see how the MacBook Pro acts.

Also, if you did not do a clean install I would suggest that you try that. Make sure to backup your data first. There could very well be something left installed on the system from the previous OS that may be causing the issue.

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

No issues running lion here, on 3 computers, one being an iMac 5 years old, which was upgraded (and it hasn't ever been formatted, despite hideous amounts of different kinds of work done on this machine).

Something is wrong. Check launch daemons on your users and system's library, and also check launch agents in the same folders. Some 3rd party programs tend to generate files there, that run at startup, launching programs that run in the background. If those background processes don't like Lion, you may experience erratic behavior.

The default contents of those files are one or two files in there, like com.apple.something . Other files may cause the behavior you are experiencing. Post here with the results.

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

All of these issues are indicative of a system that wasn't stable to begin with. Whenever doing an upgrade ALWAYS ensure the system is in great shape prior to the upgrade otherwise you're experience is going to be awful and difficult to fix. I've been using Lion for many months and find it extremely stable however I'm pretty fastidious about keeping my machines in perfect working order, this isn't difficult to do assuming you follow instructions well.

However in your situation I'd probably recommend you read Understanding Upgrade Nightmares at:

http://www.reedcorner.net/news.php/?p=253

You may get some hints on what to troubleshoot so you can begin enjoying the experience you expected.

7. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Or, it's just a half baked sorry OS.

I have done clean install and upgrades, 3 different computers. The bugs that I can't live with are 100% reproducible in all cases. For example, I need to use a password generator when connecting to my work VPN. In Snow Leopard, I get prompted for my password authentication information every time I try to connect. In Mac 'iOSX' Lion, it only asks every other time I try to connect??? Without fail. I have to cancel the attempt, and try again every time so I can enter my credentials.

This is just one of the MANY bugs in this OS, and it is not caused because I didn't do something right by upgrading or installing 3rd party software on a clean install. I'm so over hearing all the people pretending that the problems with lion must be that specific users problem, they are not. This OS is crap. And I haven't even started on the ridiculously stupid implementations of Full Screen or Mission Control with multiple monitors. The interface guidelines were also thrown out the window on this one.

Apples attempt to turn my $7k multi monitor mac pro into an ipad has pi$$ed me off. I was so relieved and so much more productive when going back to Snow Leopard. Nobody does REAL work on an Ipad... we are not in a POST PC world no matter how much the advertising departments and execs want to create one.

I came from using FreeBSD as my desktop OS to Mac OS X because OS X finally made a great Unix OS with Commercial support. If this is the future of Apple's OS software, I think I will be going back to BSD or maybe even windows. Good thing Apple went to Intel processors, at least the hardware is still good.

8. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

The MBP was running great before. No problems at all. Not slow at all. No kernel panics, no freezing, nothing. I have no 3rd party RAM (4gb stock ram). I repair permissions consistently, etc. I have not installed a bunch of crap on it startup items, etc. I upgraded when Lion came out and since then I've had 1 - 2 kernel panics, a random freeze while using Safari and copying files to a WD external, and several times where the Wifi drops out when waking from sleep. This system has been babied.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

Whilst I sympathise with your issues I don't think you should be so quick to blame Lion. As other have already pointed out there is probably more to your issues then just the OS specifically. I've had a new 2011 Mini since launch and whilst there have been some minor quirks and bugs I've not had any of the problems you have. All new operating systems have issues and they are not always directly the fault of the OS. On the whole I've been happy with Lion. Sure it's got it's quirks and certain things that weren't issues on my old Mini running Snow Leopard are on my new Mini.

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

This is quite thoroughly documented as a Lion bug. Search any forum for "Lion WiFi issue" and there will be plenty of threads. Here are the results from google: http://www.google.com/search?q=lion...gc.r_pw.&fp=f674d001fb14c425&biw=1143&bih=753 One thread on the Apple discussions board has nearly 60,000 views and 600 replies.

Things to try to help out:
    1. If using Safari a lot, know that there is a massive memory leak problem that will cause beach-balliing. Try using a different browser and see if problem persists.
    2. Reset the PRAM
    3. Reset the SMC
    4. Install all updates
    5. Wait for 10.7.2 and hope they fix the major bugs in Lion.

11. 50548 Guest

No issues here either with AE Extreme and more than three devices accessing Wi-FI - so please don't spread FUD based on your own anecdotal problems. Lion has nothing to do with his issues.

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Please don´t spread FUD based on your own anecdotal problems - great advice. ;)

13. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

No problems here on two Macs, though I did have some wireless issues on the MBP; solved by deleting keychain entries relating to wifi/Airport.

14. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Right there is an example of Lion messing up. All you guys who say its not the OS. Please.. Never had this problem with any macs and I've been using Macs since OS8.

As a side note I'm not getting the beach ball...

15. wpotere Guest

Lots of issues here as well. Lion has some pretty serious bugs. Both of our Macs here have all of what was mentioned and both have had clean installs. I recently loaded it back up again but I also made sure that I loaded Win 7 via bootcamp so that I can atleast have an OS that works.

Hope they get this mess sorted soon. :mad:

16. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Lion has everything to do with his issues! He says it worked fine under Snow Leopard. It isn't FUD if its true. Glad your not having problems and like Lion, but there are a lot of us who do not and need help, thats why we are here. We also take comfort in the fact that we are not alone.

Quit being a blind fan boy and accept that fact that Apple released a very disappointing OS upgrade. Full screen apps, (Forced) Auto Save, Launch Pad, Badly combined Spaces and Expose making a defunct replacement. where are the REAL improvements?

17. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Lion has an improvement in the form of a game built into the system. The game is called Mission Control and the object of the game is to find the window that it hid behind the other similar windows.

Have fun!

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

seems like yourself and the OP are one of "the unlucky ones" regarding this, and there are many many potential reasons why - most of which i cannot get into without knowing your environment and machine history.

but by the sounds of it, a complete OS reinstall may fix your issues.

:)

19. blackomega31 macrumors member

blackomega31

Well said sir I could not agree more. I don't want an iPad for a computer. Why oh why did apple have to mess up a good thing

20. Kristenn macrumors 6502

I have the wifi problem, and it's the only problem I have with Lion, to be honest. It is very disappointing, though.

When wifi drops, I just go to system prefs, network, and run diagnostics. Once it's done, it says my internet is working fine and the wifi works again. Still, it's a ridiculous bug that I don't understand how it was missed in beta testing, seriously!

21. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree about the wifi bug. My wife's machine kept dropping wifi on 10.7 and when I remembered I had pulled a gigabit ethernet cable within feet of her machine, I simply pulled it the rest of the way and gave up on wifi on her machine at least.

Meanwhile on my Macbook, I have not had wifi problems with Lion. On the kids' minis, we have not noticed wifi problems with Lion.

I do have another bug and that is with an external monitor (2 total displays), I can't use a third party VNC solution under Lion. I honestly expected Apple to fix this for 10.7.1 and I'm surprised they didn't. I never bothered checked to see if 10.7.1 would have fixed wifi on my wife's machine now that she has gigabit ethernet.

I haven't been a Mac user all that long. I'd say going from Tiger to leopard was smooth as was going from Leopard to Snow Leopard. I would rate Lion as the roughest transition yet but still so much nicer than any Windows OS upgrade.

22. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

In your infinite wisdom, what is causing the problem? You seem to know that it is not Lion, so I am ready for the edu.

BTW, the answer is Lion, but I can't wait to hear fro someone who acuses others for speaking anything but the apple gospel.

23. 50548 Guest

If it were Lion's problem I and millions of other users would be facing exactly the same issue. But we do NOT.

As for your own problem, how am I supposed to tell without specific details? Clean install the OS, check your router, avoid migrating settings/network-related stuff, check your local setup/walls etc. - I am sure you will find that the problem is NOT with Lion.

24. wpotere Guest

Hate to hurt your feelings but there are a ton of people having problems. Just because your hardware config works well does not mean that they all do. I have reinstalled SL and everything is fine but when I install Lion I have nothing but issues. This is on both of our 2008 machines and both clean installs. So for you to say that it is not Lion (fud as you put it) is total crap. :rolleyes:

I also know a few folks with 2010 machines that I helped get back on to SL because they were having problems.

25. rockinred macrumors member

And I am sure you won't find a problem with router... sheesh is this place for real?

Same problem with Lion here. You said tigres and op are the only ones having problem... shows your bias right there. Read up and down this forum....it is plagued with Lion problems. They are not the typical complaints of a new system either (while we always get a fair share of those), these are real issues.