iPhone X Disappointed with the new iPhone Xr/Xs/Xs Max

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VantaNoir, Sep 17, 2018.

1. VantaNoir macrumors member

VantaNoir

Who is disappointed with all the new features of the iPhone Xr / Xs / Xs Max? Any of you thinking about waiting for next years iPhone or possibly trying out the new Samsung S10 in February 2019? Or how about even trying a Note 9 or another phone? I am currently on a 7plus and possibly considering keeping it for another year or so. Thoughts?

2. tonybarnaby macrumors 68000

I want the max, but I know that no matter what I will buy the first iPhone with 5g. Giga lte is probably fast enough, but iOS 12 has inspired me to keep my 8+.

3. pika2000 macrumors 603

LOL. The Note 9? You think the iPhones are disappointing yet you mention the Note 9, which is just an enlarged S9+ with a yellow stylus? :D

Samsung is boring. Pixel is boring. What's not boring is Poco F1, same SD845 as Note9 and future Pixel 3 for $300. Now that's worth a mention.

Apple, on the other hand, stands on its own since they make their own chips and OS. I'm quite pleased with Apple using more colors for the XR (although they don't seem to point it out too much, I miss Jobs' nanochromatic marketing campaign). The only disappointing thing is the promise of dual SIM that ended up being an eSIM BS and having to get a China/HK version for real dual SIM. Might as well not announcing it altogether as it misled a lot of people.

4. LowellLvl macrumors newbie

LowellLvl

The recent iPhone releases are definitely the definition of an incremental update. That being said, I still wouldn't elect to go with any Samsung device over iOS. Those phones may have many more bells and whistles, but at the price of making far too much noise, so to speak. iOS is often considered to be the more boring of the two main mobile operating systems, but I still think it's the most cohesive and solid of the two - focusing mostly on what it is that most people need to get done with these devices without geeking out over everything that can be done yet isn't really essential to the most common users. This said, I do fault the latest iOS releases as being pretty unfocused and bug-ridden, as opposed to earlier versions.

5. VantaNoir thread starter macrumors member

VantaNoir

The OLED on that Max is possibly the best feature imo. 5g is possibly still a few years in development and it could be a game changer. iOS12 did make my iPhone 7plus a bit snappier/faster which is still good enough for me too.

6. tonybarnaby macrumors 68000

Seems like 2019 will be a year of huge improvements with iOS 13 and maybe some extra tech. Then maybe the S in 2020 will introduce 5G?

7. VantaNoir thread starter macrumors member

VantaNoir

Not the phones itself, but just the new features that would make someone want to try something else. Not familiar with the Poco F1, I'll have to look into that one. The colors on the XR are nice which gives us many options to choose from. I agree, Apple should have given US customers real dual SIM capabilities.

8. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Not disappointed at all. I’ll be upgrading from an X to XS max. I miss the plus sized phone.

9. VantaNoir thread starter macrumors member

VantaNoir

I agree. I have been an iPhone user since the 3gS and have owned several other Apple products and the Apple ecosystem just works seamlessly for the most part and getting proper software updates is a big plus. Currently owning an iPhone 7 Plus, the latest iOS made it seem a little snappier, but all the other new features I could care less about.

10. LowellLvl macrumors newbie

LowellLvl

What other new features? ;)

11. VantaNoir thread starter macrumors member

VantaNoir

I currently own a 7Plus and that extra screen real estate is a huge plus. I don't think I can ever go back to anything smaller.

12. tonybarnaby macrumors 68000

Poco is a jack of all trades and a master of nothing. If it were $550 no one would be talking about it.

13. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I think it’s a great when there’s so many choices from different manufacturers. It’s getting harder to outdo the previous years models so newer devices aren’t improving as quickly as people would like. I say if your 7+ does everything you need it too and you’d like to wait for a bigger jump in features and performance you may want to see what next year has to offer. I went from a 5s to a 6s (tried and sold the 6 because I felt it offered no improvement to the 5s) and thought it was a nice step up in performance. I waited until the X came out before I upgraded again because I felt the 7 wasn’t enough of a jump for me to update. I couldn’t be happier with the X so I don’t blame you for waiting until your ready to move on from your 7+ it’s a great phone and will continue to be for awhile.

14. VantaNoir thread starter macrumors member

VantaNoir

Group FaceTime, Memoji, group notifications, screen time, Siri. All nice improvements to have, useful for others, but not for me.

15. LowellLvl macrumors newbie

LowellLvl

Group notifications is definitely something that should have been there many versions ago - like most of those things you listed. But yes, I welcome that one.

16. VantaNoir, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018

VantaNoir thread starter macrumors member

VantaNoir

I agree. It feels as though the past few years, changes in phone features have been really good to the point where people don't have to upgrade every year unless they can depending on their upgrade plan, but for the most part, it's going to depend on a persons need or want. I feel pretty content with my 7plus and I might keep it another year, unless someone can surprise me with an XS Max for Christmas or a good deal comes along for Black Friday. We will see.

17. TSE macrumors 68030

TSE

18. LowellLvl macrumors newbie

LowellLvl

The iPhone SE will be sorely missed. It was a great little phone in their greatest form factor to-date.

19. VantaNoir thread starter macrumors member

VantaNoir

Hahaha!! I still have my 5 and when LTE debuted on that thing, it was super fast! Faster than my home wifi! Good times with the 5!

20. fitcious macrumors regular

I currently have a 7+ as well but will be selling it for a used X. Reason being are:

1. The 7+ is just physically too big for me. Reason I went with this over the 7 is because of dual lens camera and more ram. But X satisfies that while being smaller

2. I want to sell my 7+ while it sill holds some value. We know that next year, Apple will drop the 7 from the line up just like they did with the 6S this year- so that might even drop the value even a bit more next year.

If the 7+ can fetch you $400 or so, depending on your capacity, and you find an used X for $700-$750, then $300-$350 spent on newer tech that will have longer shelf life might not be a bad idea

Just my .02

21. VantaNoir thread starter macrumors member

VantaNoir

Verizon being my service provider, I was quoted $350 for my 7+ 128g, not too bad for what it is. I agree that the X would have a longer shelf life like you said, but if I were to upgrade, it would have to be the latest since it will be "future proofed" even longer because of the newest tech, but I agree that the X would be just as good as well, just depends on someones needs.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

We didn't get new features but I wasn't expecting them. The big news was the max and the xr. I think by next year Apple will have done away with the home button entirely.

While I guess I'm disappointed I alsoxsidnt need a reason to buy yet another iPhone. So I'm happy as is.

23. fitcious macrumors regular

I am getting hits at $450 for my 7+ 256, JB

24. kasakka macrumors 68020

You didn't exactly elaborate what was disappointing about the new devices. I can see objecting to the pricing but as devices they are pretty damn good. Most improvements are software so expect new features from iOS 13 next year.

25. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

They almost never elaborate. I don’t think they know what they want.