Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The OLED on that Max is possibly the best feature imo. 5g is possibly still a few years in development and it could be a game changer. iOS12 did make my iPhone 7plus a bit snappier/faster which is still good enough for me too.

I don’t necessarily think the OLED display is the best feature on the Max, I would say that the _size _of the 6.5 display is the best feature, and then add the battery life.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
Definitely not considering Android, but I'm really disappointed in Apple this year. I've gotten a new iPhone every year since the iPhone 4 and am actually considering skipping this year. What is even new about it? The camera is slightly better, they barely even spent time on it in the keynote; the processor is slightly faster, but the major improvements are in AR which I don't use; the screen is identical.

Combined with the glaring absence of AirPower and AirPods, and the pathetic leaking of every single detail, 2018 was the worst keynote in memory. Samsung and Google were handed a gift this year.
[doublepost=1537278161][/doublepost]
You didn't exactly elaborate what was disappointing about the new devices. I can see objecting to the pricing but as devices they are pretty damn good. Most improvements are software so expect new features from iOS 13 next year.

But the software improvements are for every iOS 12 device. Of course the 2018 iPhones are "good," in fact Apple will say they're the "best iPhones ever." But they aren't a meaningful improvement over the iPhone X, and Apple provided no surprises this year.
[doublepost=1537278367][/doublepost]
Group FaceTime, Memoji, group notifications, screen time, Siri. All nice improvements to have, useful for others, but not for me.

Group FaceTime was pulled and hasn't been released yet.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Of course the 2018 iPhones are "good," in fact Apple will say they're the "best iPhones ever." But they aren't a meaningful improvement over the iPhone X, and Apple provided no surprises this year.

They are not under any obligation to do so either. I never buy a first gen new design from Apple because I feel they never get them quite right. iPhone 4S was much faster than 4, iPhone 6S added the much needed 1 GB more RAM. Can't remember how much people complained about the iPhone 7 and 8, both of which were just plain dated in design compared to Android phones at the time that had better displays and less bezels.

Not having any significant improvements over iPhone X is good for owners of that phone. It means it will retain its value better while also having no significant need to upgrade. Hell, I might even buy a used iPhone X for my gf if it turns out the XS is not all that much better since there are always upgraders willing to sell theirs for reasonable money.

For those on older iPhones I think the XS series is a big upgrade. For those of us coming from Android phones the main difference will be iOS and the compact form factor of the XS. Plenty of competition for the XS Max size phones on Android side though.

Reactions: asfalloth

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Coming from the 7+ generation, when it comes to basic performance, not much will be different except for the cameras. Two generations of camera improvement are significant in iPhones.

Reactions: VantaNoir

IamScotty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
No Reason to spend all this money the X is pretty much the same wait till 2019 or 2020 when the new iPhones will have triple lenses which then will make a difference.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
They are not under any obligation to do so either. I never buy a first gen new design from Apple because I feel they never get them quite right. iPhone 4S was much faster than 4, iPhone 6S added the much needed 1 GB more RAM. Can't remember how much people complained about the iPhone 7 and 8, both of which were just plain dated in design compared to Android phones at the time that had better displays and less bezels.

Not having any significant improvements over iPhone X is good for owners of that phone. It means it will retain its value better while also having no significant need to upgrade. Hell, I might even buy a used iPhone X for my gf if it turns out the XS is not all that much better since there are always upgraders willing to sell theirs for reasonable money.

For those on older iPhones I think the XS series is a big upgrade. For those of us coming from Android phones the main difference will be iOS and the compact form factor of the XS. Plenty of competition for the XS Max size phones on Android side though.

Obviously they have no "obligation" to do anything, and nobody said they were; that's an absurd standard to judge by. And it's complete nonsense to say the XS is a big upgrade for those with older phones—of course it is, it's years newer. What I specifically said is that "they aren't a meaningful improvement over the iPhone X" and I'm correct.

It's unbelievable how far people will go to defend every move Apple makes. If they provide a huge update, Apple is great and so innovative. If they provide little/no update, Apple is great because last year's phone will "retain its value better." People complained about the 7 because they were right, the design was dated and behind Android phones. Just like this year the tech, if not the design, is dated compared to Android phones which have far better cameras, for example.
[doublepost=1537293673][/doublepost]
Nope, I am happy with it. Looking forward to the Xs Max. What features are you looking for?

How about a camera that actually competes with last year's Pixel? Or a proper dark mode? Or an always-on/ambient display?
[doublepost=1537293950][/doublepost]
No Reason to spend all this money the X is pretty much the same wait till 2019 or 2020 when the new iPhones will have triple lenses which then will make a difference.

True, but at the same time it's pretty outrageous that Apple will need 3 lenses to match what Google can pull off with 1. Especially since Apple has considerably more processing power.

raccoontail

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
The iPhone SE will be sorely missed. It was a great little phone in their greatest form factor to-date.

Completely agree. If Apple made an iPhone with the XR's specs and a sub 5" screen I'd be a happy guy. Actually I'll probably find happiness regardless - they're just phones..

Last edited:
Reactions: LowellLvl

mpConroe

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
Arbroath (UK) / Wroclaw (PL)
Who is disappointed with all the new features of the iPhone Xr / Xs / Xs Max? Any of you thinking about waiting for next years iPhone or possibly trying out the new Samsung S10 in February 2019? Or how about even trying a Note 9 or another phone? I am currently on a 7plus and possibly considering keeping it for another year or so. Thoughts?
I love S updates and this one is not disappointing. The premiere of iPhone 7 was the worst update ever. This phone should be called 6SS.

This is typical S realize and even more - they added Max model and cheaper model - they never did that since 5C (which was a disaster). Then never updated the size of the iPhone in S cycle. So why people are saying that it's weak upgrade?
Also, no matter of size of your XS, you got the same PPI, camera and RAM. Plus models were always better in this.

The only disappointment were prices - but carriers in the UK have better deals than last year. Much better. That sold me.

I did preorder XS 256 GB Gold, switching from my old 6s Plus.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Obviously they have no "obligation" to do anything, and nobody said they were; that's an absurd standard to judge by. And it's complete nonsense to say the XS is a big upgrade for those with older phones—of course it is, it's years newer. What I specifically said is that "they aren't a meaningful improvement over the iPhone X" and I'm correct.

It's unbelievable how far people will go to defend every move Apple makes. If they provide a huge update, Apple is great and so innovative. If they provide little/no update, Apple is great because last year's phone will "retain its value better." People complained about the 7 because they were right, the design was dated and behind Android phones. Just like this year the tech, if not the design, is dated compared to Android phones which have far better cameras, for example.
[doublepost=1537293673][/doublepost]

How about a camera that actually competes with last year's Pixel? Or a proper dark mode? Or an always-on/ambient display?
[doublepost=1537293950][/doublepost]

True, but at the same time it's pretty outrageous that Apple will need 3 lenses to match what Google can pull off with 1. Especially since Apple has considerably more processing power.

The camera does compete and right now Apple has focused on performance instead. Keeping customers with older phones happy is more important than a couple superficial features. It sounds like you have a product in mind that you would rather have, nothing wrong with that.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Coming from the 7+ generation, when it comes to basic performance, not much will be different except for the cameras. Two generations of camera improvement are significant in iPhones.

I agree. I think every year for those who upgrade, they may not appreciate the camera upgrades because they’re not always vastly that much different, but for those who are retaining older devices from an iPhone 7 or 6S, will definitely appreciate Camera upgrades with the iPhone X/XS, especially with all the different modes they are now offering with Portrait Lighting/Portrait mode.

DHeck

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
Pgh, PA
Who is disappointed with all the new features of the iPhone Xr / Xs / Xs Max? Any of you thinking about waiting for next years iPhone or possibly trying out the new Samsung S10 in February 2019? Or how about even trying a Note 9 or another phone? I am currently on a 7plus and possibly considering keeping it for another year or so. Thoughts?

I'm personally disappointed in the price point, I'm still rocking a 6S Plus, I just have a hard time paying almost as much for a phone as I paid for my mid-2015 MacBook Pro... on a side note, I'm still not sold on this whole face ID and no home button.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
The camera does compete and right now Apple has focused on performance instead. Keeping customers with older phones happy is more important than a couple superficial features. It sounds like you have a product in mind that you would rather have, nothing wrong with that.

The camera doesn't compete...take a look at any comparison and you can see that the Pixel has more detail and far better dynamic range. The iPhone X does a terrible job at preserving shadow detail with a brighter background.

I've had every iPhone since the 4, I have a MacBook, an Apple TV, a HomePod, a Watch...I'm not happy that it's true, but any unbiased view can see that it is. Apple focused on performance in software, sure; but they seemed to completely ignore the hardware component.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
The camera doesn't compete...take a look at any comparison and you can see that the Pixel has more detail and far better dynamic range. The iPhone X does a terrible job at preserving shadow detail with a brighter background.

I've had every iPhone since the 4, I have a MacBook, an Apple TV, a HomePod, a Watch...I'm not happy that it's true, but any unbiased view can see that it is. Apple focused on performance in software, sure; but they seemed to completely ignore the hardware component.

Haha alright, time to move on here. The phone hasn't even come out yet and it already doesn't compete. I am sure the pictures are very comparable, some better, some worse. It's not that big of a deal, but they definitely are comparable.

Last edited:

VantaNoir

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
I don’t necessarily think the OLED display is the best feature on the Max, I would say that the _size _of the 6.5 display is the best feature, and then add the battery life.

Bigger screen is what I’m looking forward to..

When I said OLED, I forgot to specifically say the bigger screen real estate as well. I'm on a 7+ currently and I'm still 50/50 right now, not sure if I should upgrade or keep the 7+ for another year.
[doublepost=1537307884][/doublepost]
Nope, I am happy with it. Looking forward to the Xs Max. What features are you looking for?

Currently on a 7+, still 50/50 at this point, not sure if I should upgrade or wait. Hopefully something nice comes up either on Black Friday or Christmas?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
When I said OLED, I forgot to specifically say the bigger screen real estate as well. I'm on a 7+ currently and I'm still 50/50 right now, not sure if I should upgrade or keep the 7+ for another year.
[doublepost=1537307884][/doublepost]

Currently on a 7+, still 50/50 at this point, not sure if I should upgrade or wait. Hopefully something nice comes up either on Black Friday or Christmas?

Well if you aren't compelled to upgrade, you shouldn't. I was just curious as to what you were looking for in terms of advancements that makes you so disappointed? ProMotion was the only thing I wanted that I didn't get.

VantaNoir

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
I'm personally disappointed in the price point, I'm still rocking a 6S Plus, I just have a hard time paying almost as much for a phone as I paid for my mid-2015 MacBook Pro... on a side note, I'm still not sold on this whole face ID and no home button.

I agree, the price is a slight price bump, but I feel like the price will likely increase as time goes on for the device with the better or more premium features.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
What additional features are you looking for?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Color me disappointed. Will be keeping my X for another year. I totally understand the pace of innovation slows over time and there’s only so much you can do in one year. What I don’t understand is how this incremental update using largely mature parts with high yields now costs what it does. I didn’t think my X was worth what I I paid for it, but my 6 plus was getting quite slow and not really working right anymore. My x is still giving me good performance so I’ll be sticking with it for now.

MAXAAPL

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2018
When the iPhone and iPhone 6 Plus were released, wasn’t the screen size the big feature they were advertising? I think this year is more of the same of that generation. The big feature is the screen size options you can get an iPhone in. It’s further pushing to a different era of iPhones that have more screen and a different way to interact with (no home button, gesture based).

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018

Uh might want to hold off on the note 9

https://bgr.com/2018/09/17/galaxy-note-9-battery-overheats-and-catches-fire-in-womans-purse/ :eek:

If your not happy with XS Max just wait another year, your 7+ just got a breath of new life with iOS12.

msama

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
I pulled the trigger on a Max, coming from a 6+. I'm currently having buyers remorse because my phone works perfectly well and I spent a lot on an upgrade I don't really need. However, I haven't touched any iPhone after the 6+ because as soon as I do I know my current phone will seem slower and more outdated so I'm sure it will go away after a day of using the new Max =)

I went non-iPhone after my 4 and didn't care for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.