Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Only thing I’m disappointed in is that they’ve doubled down on faceID rather than giving the option of under screen touchID for those who would prefer that - and including that was a long shot anyway. Other than that I’m pleased more than anything t see they’ve finally and at long last moved beyond mono audio recording and 1/3” camera sensors which were lower-midrange specifications in 2016-17.

Noongun

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2018
Great just got an email from fake apple South Africa (core group) which runs apples business in SA for pre orders and with taxes and imports included the new Iphone Xs range starts from $1 536,968 US dollars or R22 000 (Rand). It's is now more expensive than the previous years entry level macbook pro... For something that I primarily use for phone, texts, emails 90% of the time...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Just because one article talks about a possible incident with the Note 9, doesn’t mean that the millions of other people who want this phone should not consider it. We don’t even know all the evidence and information behind that situation. Think about all the other smart phones that have ‘hardware issues’ that are never even mentioned in the media.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
Not disappointed at all. I’ll be upgrading from an X to XS max. I miss the plus sized phone.
I'm coming from a 6 Plus, so I'm not dissappointed at all. For me, the camera is the main reason, the screen is the 2nd reason. Couldn't care about emojis.

Max 512 in gold for me coming in about 3 weeks; whoohoo!

I did this one (and the GPS+LTE watch in black). Paid for the watch up front and had Verizon split up the payments over 24 months for me. There was no extra cost for that, and I can pay it off fully at any time without penalty.
[doublepost=1537564919][/doublepost]
Definitely not considering Android, but I'm really disappointed in Apple this year. I've gotten a new iPhone every year since the iPhone 4 and am actually considering skipping this year...
You should definitely skip this year. What you've been doing (buying a phone EVERY year) is unhealthy, because it creates in you a subconscious sense of entitlement. You pay A LOT for the phone EVERY YEAR, so it's natural to feel entitled to get more and more and more for each and every time you buy another phone.

This is not your fault. It's just human nature, and even you are not immune from it.

But you should recognize that it's unhealthy because your sense of entitlement has reached critical mass and there's no way Apple can make you happy with a mere 12-month cycle. You should skip a cycle and give yourself a break on the time and money.

msama

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
Got the max. Very, very happy with it. All skepticism went away after the first few hours of playing with it. The price is a sticking point, but I feel it's a decent value. Memory pricing scheme aside. =)

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm not going to plunk down a $1000 plus anymore for a phone. I did it for the X but it has always stuck in my head. I normally keep my phones for 2 years. I'll start buying a year behind and save some dough, unless Apple comes up with something big.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
I'm not going to plunk down a $1000 plus anymore for a phone. I did it for the X but it has always stuck in my head. I normally keep my phones for 2 years. I'll start buying a year behind and save some dough, unless Apple comes up with something big.

Just pay the monthly and upgrade yearly then. That is what I am doing now. Makes it easier.

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
Definitely not considering Android, but I'm really disappointed in Apple this year. I've gotten a new iPhone every year since the iPhone 4 and am actually considering skipping this year. What is even new about it? The camera is slightly better, they barely even spent time on it in the keynote; the processor is slightly faster, but the major improvements are in AR which I don't use; the screen is identical.

Combined with the glaring absence of AirPower and AirPods, and the pathetic leaking of every single detail, 2018 was the worst keynote in memory. Samsung and Google were handed a gift this year.
[doublepost=1537278161][/doublepost]

But the software improvements are for every iOS 12 device. Of course the 2018 iPhones are "good," in fact Apple will say they're the "best iPhones ever." But they aren't a meaningful improvement over the iPhone X, and Apple provided no surprises this year.
[doublepost=1537278367][/doublepost]

Group FaceTime was pulled and hasn't been released yet.

The iphone xs, xs max ans xr were clearly not meant for people aho have x already. But if you have 8 or lower there are meaningful,changes and reasons for you to ditch touch ID.

And that is fine. Phones are meant to last lomger these days.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Who is disappointed with all the new features of the iPhone Xr / Xs / Xs Max? Any of you thinking about waiting for next years iPhone or possibly trying out the new Samsung S10 in February 2019? Or how about even trying a Note 9 or another phone? I am currently on a 7plus and possibly considering keeping it for another year or so. Thoughts?
Well, I finally saw the XS and XS Max this evening and I am unimpressed, even though I am still upgrading rom my 5S. I'm holding off to buy the MAX this Oct. when I travel to Portland and benefit from the sales tax.

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
The iphone xs, xs max ans xr were clearly not meant for people aho have x already. But if you have 8 or lower there are meaningful,changes and reasons for you to ditch touch ID.

And that is fine. Phones are meant to last lomger these days.

iPhone 8 is still pretty decent I would encourage this for people on iPhone 7 and lower. For iPhone 8, something like iPhone XR could be more akin

Reactions: Flight Plan

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
I am a little underwhelmed with the max tbh, others have mentioned the weight and whilst it was always there for all to see in the specs, the 'It's not as heavy as it looks' PR did try and lead us to believe otherwise. I'd argue that the additional heft of the max means that the X or XS feel nicer in the hand.

The ONLY reason imo to upgrade if you already have the X is if you want the bigger screen, otherwise in every day use the 2 are indistinguishable.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Apple dropped the ball a bit last year by NOT introducing the Max sized device - forcing many who liked the X and settled to upgrade again to the max this year.

With all their Billions, they could have aimed for a Max last year.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I am a little underwhelmed with the max tbh, others have mentioned the weight and whilst it was always there for all to see in the specs, the 'It's not as heavy as it looks' PR did try and lead us to believe otherwise. I'd argue that the additional heft of the max means that the X or XS feel nicer in the hand.

The ONLY reason imo to upgrade if you already have the X is if you want the bigger screen, otherwise in every day use the 2 are indistinguishable.

Did you upgrade form your s9+.

Op, not considering a note9.

Really happy with with the iPhone Xs max.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Apple dropped the ball a bit last year by NOT introducing the Max sized device - forcing many who liked the X and settled to upgrade again to the max this year.

They couldn’t.

Not enough OLED displays to go around.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Who is disappointed with all the new features of the iPhone Xr / Xs / Xs Max? Any of you thinking about waiting for next years iPhone or possibly trying out the new Samsung S10 in February 2019? Or how about even trying a Note 9 or another phone? I am currently on a 7plus and possibly considering keeping it for another year or so. Thoughts?
I have an X which outperforms any of Samsung's current models and still feels brand new.

I may look at whatever comes from Apple next year if my X starts to feel dated.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
They couldn’t.

Not enough OLED displays to go around.

Not quite. Samsung was only contracted to manufacture _one_ 5.8 dispay size. Apple tried to include a second supplier through rumors based off contracting LG, but they didn’t meet the timeline deadline. Now, its been unofficially confirmed LG has passed Apples dispay quality tests as second supplier for additional OLED dispays for the upcoming iPhones.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/14/lg-second-supplier-of-iphone-oled-displays-etnews/amp/

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

Regardless of the circumstance, imo it is actually a great marketing strategy to release the Max this year instead of last year.

There are many things that Apple need to test the market for:
- Edge to edge notched display
- A phone with $1k starting price

After they confirm that people don't mind the notched display and seeing a $1k iPhone, then it supports their decision for the Mac version.

Imagine if Apple released the $1100 Max right away last year, the focus will be at the Max exceeding $1k price, and people will be taken aback. Having just the X at the borderline $999 gives enough time for consumers to adjust to the higher price point.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The iPhone Xs, not a total disappointment, but I really hope they introduced some more features other than the just basically some tweaks and adding an eSIM. I almost bought an Xs Max in China, only did I realize that the Chinese model even though have the real dual-SIM solution has FaceTime Audio disabled (there is no way to enable it) and I use FaceTime Audio almost exclusively to contact many of my family when they are abroad.

In terms of features, I really wish Apple put in some sort of in-screen fingerprint reader. Sometimes I'm wearing shades that hide my eyes, it's annoying to use FaceID. I guess Apple did double-down on their FaceID and that's what we should expect in the future, but being a $1000-$1500 phone this is a bit disappointing.

I smashed my iPhone X, so recently I've been using a Huawei Mate RS, which is not exactly perfect has just about everything but the kitchen sink. In-screen and back fingerprint reader, face unlock, dual SIM, OLED display, 4000 mAH battery, it's really fast and well featured, makes me wonder if Apple has become a bit stagnant. I do have to say iOS has really become something, but the hardware seems a bit behind.

That all said I did buy the iPhone Xs, was suppose to be delivered on Friday, but UPS says it did not get loaded on the plane or something due to customs…

gary77

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
London England
I was never interested in the XS/XS max models i only watched the keynote to see how much they would drop the iPhone 8 by even then I still find it hard to justify upgrading when my 6s is still going well in fact i was more excited to see what iOS 12 would bring than the phones unless there some deals in the Black Friday sale's chances are i'll stay with the 6s

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Regardless of the circumstance, imo it is actually a great marketing strategy to release the Max this year instead of last year.

There are many things that Apple need to test the market for:
- Edge to edge notched display
- A phone with $1k starting price

After they confirm that people don't mind the notched display and seeing a $1k iPhone, then it supports their decision for the Mac version.

Imagine if Apple released the $1100 Max right away last year, the focus will be at the Max exceeding $1k price, and people will be taken aback. Having just the X at the borderline $999 gives enough time for consumers to adjust to the higher price point.
Agreed buddy!

el_presidente45

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
Texas
The XR could’ve been great if it wasn’t stuck at 720p. As it is, I’ve never liked the X-series aspect ratio. I might have gone for an Xs Max if it didn’t cost one and a half kidneys.

I wanted to be excited this year. I really did.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Not quite. Samsung was only contracted to manufacture _one_ 5.8 dispay size. Apple tried to include a second supplier through rumors based off contracting LG, but they didn’t meet the timeline deadline. Now, its been unofficially confirmed LG has passed Apples dispay quality tests as second supplier for additional OLED dispays for the upcoming iPhones.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/14/lg-second-supplier-of-iphone-oled-displays-etnews/amp/

True. But your talking about 2018 vs 2017, with orders placed a year in advance.

Samsung OLED manufacturing capacity could not take into account a second iPhone OLED model last year.

I believe Samsung’s yield rates for OLED displays were at 60% going into 2017 and increased to 80% going into 2018.

Samsung estimated that the s9/s9+ would sell 80 million units, before cutting back production this year. Not to mention an additional 20 million units for for the note 8. So that would have accounted for 100 million units for only two of Samsung’s models. Again that did not happen. Samsung is now estimating s9/s9+ lifetime sales to only be 30 million units note 9 is much much less.

Too late for apple, that places orders for next years iPhone usually a month or two after the iPhone launch in September.

With the introduction of lg as a supplier, apple should be able to include OLED displays in a third additional model next year, or perhaps the iPad line.

So yeah. Blame apple for industry component constraints. Weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.