Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Some people saying " my 13" rMBP runs almost everything" and I ask what is everything? Word? Internet browsing? Or are we talking about heavy software (Photoshop with loads of layers & FX's, Ableton with multiple channels with IR reverbs, filters, synths...)? It is in the last case (heavy usage & pro software) that we realise that 13"'s shouldn't be called PRO... Add to this the ridiculous nº of cores it has (2) in almost 2015 to move all that heavy stuff.
Other people saying "I bought the MBP for me because it's a nice looking machine and I didnt need a gaming machine." well, no comments, here we see demanding people about their laptops.

I agree with people about the CD/DVD player stuff, it's quite outdated and you can always plug an external superdrive. Also agree with non upgradable laptop (laptops weren't made for that purpose, despite some of them can be upgraded). But we are talking about a PRO gamma, if people use it for casual use it's ok (everybody can do what they want ofc) but that doesn't mean other people can't complain with reasons about MBP's and its specs/performance. In the 2015 MBP's we only need to see Apple skipping (dropping) the Maxwell GPU's with their huge improvement in consumption and performance.

And please, don't say that if you need more power go to a workstation or a tower computer/Mac Pro, because PRO laptops were made to do most of the work outside home, otherwise there wouldn't be any reason for them to exist.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Some people saying " my 13" rMBP runs almost everything" and I ask what is everything? Word? Internet browsing? Or are we talking about heavy software (Photoshop with loads of layers & FX's, Ableton with multiple channels with IR reverbs, filters, synths...)? It is in the last case (heavy usage & pro software) that we realise that 13"'s shouldn't be called PRO... Add to this the ridiculous nº of cores it has (2) in almost 2015 to move all that heavy stuff.
Other people saying "I bought the MBP for me because it's a nice looking machine and I didnt need a gaming machine." well, no comments, here we see demanding people about their laptops.

I agree with people about the CD/DVD player stuff, it's quite outdated and you can always plug an external superdrive. Also agree with non upgradable laptop (laptops weren't made for that purpose, despite some of them can be upgraded). But we are talking about a PRO gamma, if people use it for casual use it's ok (everybody can do what they want ofc) but that doesn't mean other people can't complain with reasons about MBP's and its specs/performance. In the 2015 MBP's we only need to see Apple skipping (dropping) the Maxwell GPU's with their huge improvement in consumption and performance.

And please, don't say that if you need more power go to a workstation or a tower computer/Mac Pro, because PRO laptops were made to do most of the work outside home, otherwise there wouldn't be any reason for them to exist.

I have a 13rMBP & it runs more than just word, in fact is used regularly for Traktor scratch in a live environment & also used for Logic Pro X.. with no issues to date.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Yep, you are the only one. Like my 15 new Pro. Enjoy your Microsoft Windows System. :p

An Ethernet port would be nice. Hence why I bought a 2011 before they discontinued the line and removed all the ports I needed on the new one. That worked out well... ;)

As for the OP, he seems to want an Apple branded gaming PC he can run Windows on. Yeah, I don't think so. The retina line aside from the Ethernet/Firewire issue is nearly perfect.

Last edited:

crawler1975

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Am I the only one disappointed with the "pro" line of MacBooks being offered right now?

Does Apple even care about the "Pro" users anymore? :mad:

It looks like you're the only one. I am happy with my 13" rMBP and I don't just use it for Internet or casual computing. I am a "pro" user in the sense that I am a pro-photog and use it as my main workhorse (replacing my HP Z400) - it run everything I require as a "pro" without any issues. The only reason I got the 13" is because of the size - I already carry enough equipment with me when I am in the field - I could also have used Air as my "pro" machine but it does not have retina.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I have the same complaints as the OP. I definitely would never buy a Retina. I need an internal optical drive and really dislike the idea that I can't change the battery myself.

My 2011 non Retina is not bad, but I wouldn't get one again and am thinking of selling it.

You can replace the batteries on a retina. It's not easy, but with patience and isopropyl alcohol, it can be removed from the top case.

Why do you need an internal optical drive?

I burn DVDs for my clients. The external drive I have is slim and fits in my backpack. When I'm at a job where I'm not going to need to burn a disk, I can leave it at home.

The graphics are plenty fast enough. With CUDA, and OpenCL, those GT class graphics perform plenty fast enough in either Premiere or Final Cut.

My one gripe is the RAM. It would be nice to have socketed RAM. If I have a fault right now, I either need to get the logic board swapped out or find someone who can solder on new chips for me. That said, right now it's under warranty for a while.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
The performance of the new retinas is good, but it is disappointing that they are designed for thinness rather than overall performance (cooling, battery life, disc drive). Seems more prosumer than pro. Maybe by pro they mean you will need to have it professionally serviced when you want to change out the hard drive or ram.

Battery life? I get 5-7 hours. Cooling, it runs cooler than my old MBP, they seriously have got that licked now, and the disc drive. I assume you mean the SSD? Performance wise there is nothing to touch it. Seriously. Have you seen results like these on a notebook before?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-19 at 16.42.49.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-19 at 16.42.49.png
    920.4 KB · Views: 84

chaofahn

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Australia
(Incredible reply)

I know right? Now that my new 2014 rMBP is fast enough, I can't procrastinate with work anymore. Sigh, all Apple cares about is allowing me to make more money.

Am I the only one disappointed with the "pro" line of MacBooks being offered right now?

I have bought 3 macbook pros over the last 5 years and todays offerings are truly pathetic.

3 MBPros in the past 5 years? :O Where on Earth did you get the moolah $$?

I think you may be the minority here. I personally haven't had the need for the CD drive in ages, I don't have the knowledge/time/money to tweak my system and prefer a computer that is powerful, but balanced and stable rather than just filled raw power.

I once had an ASUS and they love packing their products with crazy specs. But after 6 months they started slowing like crazy, although that might have to do with Windows than the actual hardware.

That said, I don't agree with your opinion but I respect your right to have it. If you're getting disillusioned with Mac there are always plenty of alternatives out there!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
3 MBPros in the past 5 years? :O Where on Earth did you get the moolah $$?

Being serious for a second here, the MBP is actually not so expensive, especially if we are talking about the professional use. Compared to the employee salary, its pocket money. A fully loaded 15" rMBP is far less than a monthly salary of a half-time technical assistant, so it makes a lot of sense for both the business and academia to purchase an expensive computer if this can potentially translate to a increase in productivity. It gets even more ridiculous — financially, it makes much more sense for us more expensive Macs than cheaper Windows machines because we need to spend less time with setup and technical maintenance.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
An Ethernet port would be nice. Hence why I bought a 2011 before they discontinued the line and removed all the ports I needed on the new one. That worked out well... ;)

As for the OP, he seems to want an Apple branded gaming PC he can run Windows on. Yeah, I don't think so. The retina line aside from the Ethernet/Firewire issue is nearly perfect.

You can buy one from Apple you know ? Yes, it will cost a little bit but that can be handled if you need one.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-19 at 2.19.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-19 at 2.19.46 PM.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 80

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!

Yes Ethernet would be nice!

I had a moment last week when I got a new internet provider. I was about to plug my rMBP into the router to program it... :confused:

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
You can buy one from Apple you know ? Yes, it will cost a little bit but that can be handled if you need one.

I have that, and the Firewire adaptor. The issue then is that I can't use both and a mini-DP connected display as I could with the 2011...

I refuse to spend £900 I don't have on a Thunderbolt Display. ;)

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
I have a 13rMBP & it runs more than just word, in fact is used regularly for Traktor scratch in a live environment & also used for Logic Pro X.. with no issues to date.

You must be kidding... It obviously runs more than word, you just didn't read my reply. Traktor Scratch Pro only needs a dual core CPU and 2 GB RAM to run. Even a 2008 Macbook can run it... That's not professional use yet.
Using Logic X (or any other DAW), tell me how many channels at 192KHz 24/32 bits audio + midi channels of heavy synths (DIVA, modulars...) can you work with. Ah, and don't forget to put reverbs on Hi-Q, multiband compressors, EQs... I bet you'll have to go to a 2048 samples on the buffer size (that means a lot of latency) just to handle it without crackles and throttlings, if it can (which I doubt).
Here it is when you see the real difference between the dual core (13"'s MBPs) and the quad core (15"'s MBPs). Of course the 13" can do the trick for a casual or advanced use like some small-middle sized projects, but not for professionals.
Most of the professionals will work on their studios with a PC tower or a Mac Pro, but they also move and travel (most of them artists) so they need something powerful and mobile to work with. You won't see Richie Hawtin doing a Plastikman show with a 13" MBP.
Actually, the performance difference between the basic 13" MBP and a Macbook Air (with same amount of ram) is like 10-15% as much, so I wouldn't call the 13" MBP PRO. That's what I meant with my last reply.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I think there would be room for a Macbook "more" Pro. Actually it could be called "Macbook Lab". It could weigh around 2,8kg with the following features:

- Built-in 16GB RAM +2 DDR3 slots (up to 48GB in triple-channel);
- The best available mobile Nvidia GPU (a 980M, for example);
- Six-core i7 if possible.

Base model from $3499,00 :cool:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Six core, not possible in a mobile chip. ;)

Can't imagine a 135W desktop CPU would make a good laptop.

I miss the times when Apple could ask Intel for developing the processor it needed. I'm not saying that a 6-core mobile CPU exists, I'm saying that it would be nice to have in a scientific/engineering laptop.

Maxwell GPUs are advertised as having lesser power requirements than current 7xx ones. You would also have an extra room for a bit heavier battery and more RAM modules.

Last edited:

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Yes I'm disappointed, yes I come from a time where Pro meant Pro. Yes that meant things hot swappable battery bays, drive bays, Express Card slots, high resolution screens and non gloss options.

That Apple does not exist anymore, yes I've been using "MacBooks" since the PowerBook 3400, no I'm not that old, but Apple wouldn't know how to make a modern interpretation of the PowerBook G3 with all its expansion capability today if their lives depended on it.

Yes they sell "Pro" computers to people who wouldn't even begin to know what the term meant, unlike this... There was a time that Apple made computers actual paid high end professionals used by choice. That isn't Apple today.

Last edited:

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Yes I'm disappointed, yes I come from a time where Pro meant Pro. Yes that meant things hot swappable battery bays, drive bays, Express Card slots, high resolution screens and non gloss options.

That Apple does not exist anymore, yes I've been using "MacBooks" since the PowerBook 3400, no I'm not that old, but Apple wouldn't know how to make a modern interpretation of the PowerBook G3 with all its expansion capability today if their lives depended on it.

Yes they sell "Pro" computers to people who wouldn't even begin to know what the term meant, unlike this... There was a time that Apple made computers actual paid high end professionals used by choice. That isn't Apple today.

Hot swappable battery bays are no longer necessary. You have a 7-8 hour battery life, so you can get a working day out of a single charge.

External storage is easy using USB3 which is quicker than any of the internal options on the pismo. You can use thunderbolt which is quicker still. And these external devices are normally smaller in physical size, but much, much larger in capacity than those internal devices that you can put in those .

I believe the term back then was PC Card. Most of those functions are available via USB now and are faster than PC Card.

The RAM I'll give you, but high res screens, there is little to touch the rMBP now. Non glossy would be a nice to have, but you will lose some of the crispness of the display.

The other thing that would be nice is built in firewire.

Otherwise these are fast, stable, and dependable portables that allow serious work to be done.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
That's all good, but the market and the manufacturers have gone strongly in the direction of more portable machines, and that means eliminating drive and battery bays and reducing slots for media. We can debate how things got here but in the end there isn't enough demand for the machine you want to make it economically viable for manufacturers.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Hot swappable battery bays are no longer necessary. You have a 7-8 hour battery life, so you can get a working day out of a single charge.

External storage is easy using USB3 which is quicker than any of the internal options on the pismo. You can use thunderbolt which is quicker still. And these external devices are normally smaller in physical size, but much, much larger in capacity than those internal devices that you can put in those .

I believe the term back then was PC Card. Most of those functions are available via USB now and are faster than PC Card.

The RAM I'll give you, but high res screens, there is little to touch the rMBP now. Non glossy would be a nice to have, but you will lose some of the crispness of the display.

The other thing that would be nice is built in firewire.

Otherwise these are fast, stable, and dependable portables that allow serious work to be done.

USB and Thunderbolt is a pain in the arse, I'd take an express card slot or two every day of the week over having things hanging awkwardly off of my machine by USB3 or Thunderbolt.

Seriously, smaller and lighter is not always better, yes I am disappointed with the current state of affairs particularly when I can't even add additional storage or more RAM myself.

The Modern MacBook Pro is not for pros.... And on the issue of "not needing" more battery power, tell that to a pro photographer who adds a battery pack anyways so that they can stay out in the field all day without recharging their camera at all.

There is as much need now for a pro computer as there was 15 years ago, Apple just wouldn't know how to make one if it fell into their lap. The Apple of yesterday is dead and buried and the only thing they care about is mid range consumers.

The MacBook Pro should be anything but this, it should be the ConsumerBook Soy Decafe Latte given the average user who uses them these days.

Last edited:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
USB and Thunderbolt is a pain in the arse, I'd take an express card slot or two every day of the week over having things hanging awkwardly off of my machine by USB3 or Thunderbolt.

Seriously, smaller and lighter is not always better, yes I am disappointed with the current state of affairs particularly when I can't even add additional storage or more RAM myself.

The Modern MacBook Pro is not for pros.... And on the issue of "not needing" more battery power, tell that to a pro photographer who adds a battery pack anyways so that they can stay out in the field all day without recharging their camera at all.

There is as much need now for a pro computer as there was 15 years ago, Apple just wouldn't know how to make one if it fell into their lap. The Apple of yesterday is dead and buried and the only thing they care about is mid range consumers.

The MacBook Pro should be anything but this, it should be the ConsumerBook Latte given the average user who uses them these days.

I found an interested topic about the "Pro" issue and upgradeability. The DIY upgrade/repair issue is now some kind of taboo among the Mac community. The following topic about soldering RAM chips was arbitrarily closed by MR's moderation:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1630889/

I know the average Joe doesn't care about it, but I can imagine a defective rMBP with an expired Apple Care plan receiving such kind of repair/upgrade. OWC and iFixit WILL have to teach basic soldering processes and sell the respective tools if they want to keep their businesses alive.

I don't have fear of soldering. I have fear of being stuck in a slow and obsolete $2500 machine in a couple of years. It's like having a brick in "working" condition.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
That's the other issue, especially with RAM and storage ceilings going the way they are. Don't get me wrong the SSD directly connected to the PCI-Express bus is great, however it could have also been done with a modular drive that connects to an ExpressCard slot, or at least an option to do so would be nice.

In this day and age, a Dell Precision laptop offers more to a Pro user than what Apple does and going back to my Pismo argument, I never thought I'd see the day. Given the way I use my laptop and continue to intend to my next computer may well have to be a Dell or Lenovo.

And that's the thing Apple have effectively alienated it's once strong core group of professional users by not offering a single professional product in its lineup, even the Mac Pro is more iMac than MacPro.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.