Disappointment

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheAnvil, Jan 29, 2014.

1. TheAnvil macrumors regular

Well, I got my 5S today.

And I have to say, I am seriously disappointed and wish I had gone with Samsung or HTC.

1) The screen is yellow compared to my 4S, and iPads 3 & rMini.

2) There is a terrible rattle. Two rattles, one from the power button and another one from the camera. I hear it rattling everytime I speak on the phone. It is absurd.

I was eagerly waiting for my 5S, having had perfect products before this, and now I am totally bummed out.

Sadly, when I went to return my phone - I live in New Zealand, where we can't return things just because we change our minds only if there is a problem, Telecom (mobile service provider) put me through to Apple.

The Apple representative, told me that all iPhones 5S, 5C, 5 and all iPod touch generations have a rattle from the "camera" and the phone is perfectly fine.

So, YAY, no refund, or replacement for me.

My only recourse now is to drag Apple and/or Telecom to a Disputes Tribunal for selling me a third rate product. Which will only lose me time and money.

I am not happy at all.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

3. Jstuts5797 macrumors 6502a

You might also mention the screen discoloration and not just the rattle. Eventually they will give you a replacement

4. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Not likely to win a court case. It is a communication device. The phone / data parts work well. Any other complaints, while they might be annoying don't stop it's primary function.

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

All of my iPhone's have had a rattle near the camera. It's the autofocus I believe. It is normal.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wow, New Zealand must be the extreme opposite of Nanny Statists of European Union with excessive customer protection.

7. TheAnvil thread starter macrumors regular

I can't say about the EU.
    But the customer isn't always right when their options are severely limited by monopolies.

Actually, according to our guarantees "goods must be acceptable in finish and appearance" and "free from minor defects".

The problem will be getting anything out of them, going to the Disputes Tribunal will cost me 75$ and take god knows how long.

I won't be doing ant of that. It really wouldn't be worth the trouble.

I am just upset and needed to rant.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I can't say I would ever consider the GS4, as I absolutely HATE the TouchWiz skin that they use. The HTC One has an amazing screen, but the camera is horrible. If you don't care about the poor quality images that I captures, maybe it's worth the trade off.

This may be a legitimate issue. The screen on my 5s is about the same color as my iPad mini and my old 4s. I think it's too blue and ended up jailbreaking and installing F.lux.

If it's rattling when you speak on the phone something isn't right. Or you're doing jumping jacks while you talk. Anyway, contact Apple and see how they can go about replacing the phone. The yellow screen should be enough to warrant this.

Do you want a refund or a replacement?

9. I7guy macrumors G5

So one screen is too yellow and one screen is too blue? Mine is just right. :)

10. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

What rattle are y ou guys talking about? I'm sitting here shaking my 5s like an idiot in front of my co workers and I can't hear any rattle or any noise at all.

11. mr99 macrumors 6502a

It used to be the vibrate motor on the iPhone 5 but I thought the 5s did not have that anymore?

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Suing definitely sounds like a super logical step after the Apple representative said no, once.

13. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Which is why the OP said he wouldn't be doing that. :rolleyes:

14. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

OP: You need to realize the 5/5s can't hold a candle to the 4S' build quality or looks. Quality control on the 5/5s has been very poor. Almost all the 5S's have loose power buttons. Every iPhone 4/4S screen I looked at looks so much cooler (blue) than the iPhone 5S. I also had an iPhone 5S bend when removing a case.

Unfortunately we are forced to use this horrible designed phone until Apple goes back to the 4S design (with a larger screen). If only the freaking 4S had LTE, I'd still be using it.

15. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Yours must be defective. It's a well known fact (and perfectly normal) the camera lens make noise and it always has since they introduced auto focus.

----------

Wrong wrong and wrong again. So many things in this are simply untrue.

16. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

all iPhones rattle since the 4S its just the way they are built, there isn't anything wrong with it.

you mention the screen, well do you know that Samsungs screens reproduce innacurate color and well are you aware their phones are made of plastic? talk about third rate product.

17. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Sorry you're disappointed. Get an HTC or Samsung.

18. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

How are you being forced to use it? Did you choose to buy it? Do you not have the choice to buy something different?

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This, and it is normal.

20. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

"The screen is yellow" = "I'm used to overly cool screens"

21. liteshow macrumors regular

I too notice that my 5s screen is a little yellowish when put side by side with my 4s. In fact, I actually prefer the yellowish or warmer tint as opposed to the cooler or whiter tint. So this is really subjective.

Likewise, I notice the speakers on the 4s sounds a little tinny compared to the 5s whose frequency range is fuller. So this make certain tones sounds different. Which do I prefer - it depends on what is being played.

The "rattle" is very faint on my 5s. I have to really put my ear close and shake it briskly to hear it. The rattle is not noticeable with normal use. Maybe I have one of the rattle free 5s.

22. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I don't know what to think of the yellow screen issue.

I am sure there are truly defective screens out there. But at the same time, is it people just overreacting to a warmer calibration? Again going off my experience, when this whole yellow screen issue first occurred was from iPhone to the 3G. Comparing my original to the 3G, the 3G was warmer. When I went to the 3G to 4, the 4 was warmer, and 4 to 5, the 5 was warmer when directly compared. If I didn't have my older iPhone's next to my newer one at the time, I wouldn't notice it.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So it should be piss yellow by now :D

Realistically, there's a natural variation and we always get reports of cooler and warmer screens every year depending on user preference. Unless it's piss yellow it's not a defect.

24. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

What? I'm assuming you are being sarcastic? Between 3 5s' I've owned none of them have rattled. I do hear a tiny tiny sound that I have to totally strain my ears to hear that can be interpreted as a "rattle", but I would find it completely hilarious if anyone complained about that.

25. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

I was. But that tiny tiny sound your hearing is the one most people are complaining about coming from the camera. It's the auto focus lens.

And yes you do have to strain. It's too funny these people. I wonder if they use the phones or just sit around and look and shake the things hoping to find something to complain about.