Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
"Only one of the apps, Aperture, will continue to be compatible with OS X El Capitan."

I haven't got Aperture, so I can't say how that runs, but contrary to that statement, iPhoto works fine.
I never bothered to uninstall iPhoto, despite Photos showing up on the system in Yosemite.

Honestly, if I open either and still see my photos, I don't care which progam it is.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
+1 to iPhoto working fine SO FAR. They might intentionally cripple it in 10.11.1.

Since I have it installed, I can't re-download the installer, the button says "OPEN". Is there any other way to do so than trash the installed one, download installer and reinstall?

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
10.7, released four years ago.

My dad has a version of Wordstar on 3.5" floppy drives. Wonder if I can complain why I can't run it on my OS.

Aperture was first released just seven years ago and the last update was in late 2013. Unlike your dad's copy of Wordstar, Aperture was purchased by many via the Mac App Store, where they trust Apple will keep their apps safe for them. Aperture is fully compatible with Yosemite and El Capitan, though that is beside the point. The point is that any app purchased through the Mac App Store should be downloadable forever unless Apple provides a way to make a backup of the installer.

Also unlike Wordstar, Aperture is actually a great product for which there are no adequate replacements.

Reactions: till213

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Lol just another day in Cupertino. Making arrogant decisions then backpedalling right after.

Or... The backend needed to be shuffled around to allow for apps to be recognised correctly... i.e that that El Cap is the latest version and the Apps needed to be tagged that they won't work with it etc. Happens EVERY OS release. Just normally when people don't notice.

Reactions: ncrypt

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
16GB on a 4K-capable iPhone, with Live photos enabled by default and only 5GB iCloud storage is a crime against humanity.

Why you don't have to buy it. So basically you want everything for free right? Pay for your storage.

I bought a 16gb one... I don't play many games and because I have 1tb iCloud storage I can take photos to my hearts content and they are uploaded and the phone storage is automatically managed. Same with Music. It's all online. I do have unlimited data though.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
This is the kind of arrogance from mac users that is the reason why I distance myself from the mac community... also part of the reason why non-apple 'fanboys' see so many of you as smug.

It's got nothing to do with that. Apart from the fact it was only taken down to group it all better, so El capitain App Store doesn't pick iPhoto etc up as a viable app, which happens every single year, there is nothing wrong with discontinuing software that is legacy. You still think they should be hosting Hypercard?

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Good god I hope you don’t really believe that.

Mac's haven't gone up in the past 10 years. Basically the price has stayed the same while inflation (weak as it is) rises. Each OS update is free and while it can be considered that the OS you buy is included in the cost of the initial machine the updates can't

What is actually happening is that iOS, OSX and the extensions TVOS, home kit etc are all paid for as a loss leader, because they need people on the latest software to develop for the latest iOS etc. Plus getting people onto the latest OS reduces the amount of legacy crap they have to deal with which plagues windows. Hell I know someone running a windows 95 app on Windows 7 as it controls an office lighting system. It's terrible and crashes all the time and the lights all suddenly come on full blast.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Appropriate user name.

Why, because he didn't fly out of his chair, grab his pitchfork, and start marching to Cupertino instead of simply waiting to see what would happen? Too many people on this site jump to the worst conclusions and get needlessly bent out of shape. Not even a day later and the software is back... that's what matters.

This is the kind of arrogance from mac users that is the reason why I distance myself from the mac community... also part of the reason why non-apple 'fanboys' see so many of you as smug.

You distance yourself so far from the Mac community that you have an account on an Apple forum that you have just used to tell us that you distance yourself from the Mac community.

I hear there are plenty of good Windows forums out there.

To be clear, I agree that if you buy software through the App Store, you should have access to that software as long as your account exists, unless legal issues force certain apps to be removed. I'm just commenting on the knee-jerk hysteria that we've seen since it was first discovered that the discontinued software was "gone".

Last edited:
Reactions: Gasu E.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
There, now people can make backups of their software, and perhaps stop complaining when Apple finally takes down the stuff that was largely FREE to begin with.

Your logic is that Apple making one piece of expensive software unavailable to users who paid for it can be "averaged out" by them also making lots of free software unavailable?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
+1 to iPhoto working fine SO FAR. They might intentionally cripple it in 10.11.1.

Since I have it installed, I can't re-download the installer, the button says "OPEN". Is there any other way to do so than trash the installed one, download installer and reinstall?

So help me if they do.... I hate Photos and want to stay on iPhoto as long as possible.

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Never trust any online/digital outlet. They will steal licences you own and paid for, and not say a word.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
There, now people can make backups of their software, and perhaps stop complaining when Apple finally takes down the stuff that was largely FREE to begin with.

No, everyone paid for that software as a companion to the hardware. For most it was part of the package and decision when they bought their computers. Apple is within their rig to discontinue support, but not to retract the software without any due notice to the owners of the software. They should provide a transition period for people to make a backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.