Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miksat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
Republic of Serbia
So, one of the biggest issues to anyone who uses Leopard/Snow Leopard is Discord. Personally I can't go without it since I started using it in 2015. How do you guys run discord on your machines (assuming you use Discord)?

Using the web app in Firefox ESR 45 is kinda slow on my early 2006 MBP and the site keeps having graphical glitches. I've also seen the MacintoshGarden IM server which supports Discord, but I can't log in due to it not having support for the 2FA.

Has anyone else tried using it?

miksat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
Republic of Serbia
Turn off 2FA then?

As you can't do without Discord...

Literally all of my IRL friends and internet friends use discord. I can't just not use it.

And I've tried another account of mine without 2FA on the macintoshgarden server and It doesn't seem to work still.

coconutshrimp

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2015
Literally all of my IRL friends and internet friends use discord. I can't just not use it.

And I've tried another account of mine without 2FA on the macintoshgarden server and It doesn't seem to work still.

Not a "true" solution but I use X11 forwarding from my linux server to my PPC mac. It works surprisingly well.

edit: uploaded a pic
9idIPGK.jpg

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Seeing chrome... or chromium... on a PPC?!
how does X11 work?

Chrome is not running on PPC. It's running on an x86 Linux box and displayed on, as well as accepting keyboard and mouse input from, a PPC Mac running an X11 server. The way X11 works is you can run an application on one system but tell it to display on another as long as the other system is running an X11 server configured to accept incoming requests.

It's vaguely similar to, say, RDP or VNC.

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
Have you tried Leopard Webkit? It's hardly perfect, doesn't seem to work with extensions, and does demand Leopard, but it sure seems to render Discord perfectly for me. Which is honestly all I really need.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
You could always build pidgin from macports (not sure if it'll build on leopard, but it built fine on my lion install), then compile the 3rd party discord plugin linked from their plugins page. I built the plugin for Ubuntu remix and it works well.

Cheers

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Chrome is not running on PPC. It's running on an x86 Linux box and displayed on, as well as accepting keyboard and mouse input from, a PPC Mac running an X11 server. The way X11 works is you can run an application on one system but tell it to display on another as long as the other system is running an X11 server configured to accept incoming requests.

It's vaguely similar to, say, RDP or VNC.

So all we really need is a headless Raspberry Pi 4 or Pi Nano or similar SBC, running DietPi and Chrome in kiosk mode, velcro'ed to the front of our Powerbooks like a Borg implant, forwarding over X11 to our PPC macs, and (al)most all of our browser problems are solved. I'm on it!

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
So all we really need is a headless Raspberry Pi 4 or Pi Nano or similar SBC, running DietPi and Chrome in kiosk mode, velcro'ed to the front of our Powerbooks like a Borg implant, forwarding over X11 to our PPC macs, and (al)most all of our browser problems are solved. I'm on it!

Sounds like a plan :)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Basic emoji's work, but not the 10,000 that the official discord app supports. It also shows links you can open in a browser vs inline photos like the official app. So like i said, kind of archaic, but for just text chatting it does the job. Pidgin doesn't use much for resources as it's basically a tricked out irc client with various protocol plugins, so it should be fine on a G3 with a slimmed up Linux install using a lightweight WM like jwm, icewm, openbox etc. I haven't tried building it on tiger or leopard, but as i said, pidgin built via macports on my Lion install fine, as did the 3rd party discord plugin, it may or may not build for 10.4/10.5 though.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.