Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Not a Discover customer and don't plan to be but wow, 10% off purchases through Apple Pay should be huge for them. Not only does it improve their relationship with existing customers but this is going to bring in a ton of new new customers in the months leading up to Christmas.

I signed up just for this bonus and double cash back after a year. Definitely my new favorite card!

Reactions: nj-mac-user

thewebb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
AZ
Well dang, too bad this wasn't an option when I pre-ordered my $750 iPhone 6S through the Apple Store App using ApplePay!
I think that it mentioned it's for in-store purchases only anyway

Edit: Drumjim85 already beat me to it

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Awesome! The 10% Cash Back Bonus is a really nice touch. Almost like "sorry it took us so long, but as a reward, we're gonna make it worth the wait"
Could be an expensive Fall, Black Friday and Christmas shopping season for some of us. Followed by an austere Jan/Feb 2016. Too good to pass up.

Makes you wonder, are MasterCard, AMEX and VISA going to follow suit?

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
10% is pretty crazy. Too bad where I live Apple Pay is offered mostly at eating establishments. Don't think it would be worth it to sign up for a Discover Card. Oh, yes, Best Buy takes it but I'm not planning on making any massive technology purchases before the year is out. However, a new Skylake 5K iMac might change my mind! $300 off is $300 off.

As others have already mentioned, the extra cash back is for in-store purchases only. Unless you found a Best Buy location that accepts Apple Pay? (Last time I tried at the beginning of this month they claimed it'd be available in October.)

wcsumm

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
Do you think you can walk into an Apple store, setup your iPhone with Apple pay and pay with the phone you just set up?

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I find it hard to believe they'd give you 10% cash back, that's crazy. Are we sure it isn't 10% MORE cash back? Like say you get 2% normally you'd then get 2.2% (2%*1.1) with ApplePay?

Well I don't have a Discover card so either way it doesn't much matter to me, but that was my impression.

This is the catch (sort of):
"From September 16, to the end of the year, cardmembers who pay with their Discover card using Apple Pay will automatically earn an extra 10% Cashback Bonus on up to $10,000 of in-store purchases."

Reactions: vista.john

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
is apple giving the cash back or discover?

poor discover card, I always use them to purchase anything in apple store/online (5%).

now iPad mini 4 looks attractive!

Reactions: jweinraub

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
That would make me rejoin Discover card after many years. No iPhone though...

Shame it doesn't work on iPads... because I'd definitely sign up once I get my iPad Pro to buy the accessories and a replacement Mac computer / accessories.

Hope it works for everyone who uses it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
As others have already mentioned, the extra cash back is for in-store purchases only. Unless you found a Best Buy location that accepts Apple Pay? (Last time I tried at the beginning of this month they claimed it'd be available in October.)
I thought they already had it or it would be coming soon. Even so, any 5K iMac isn't likely until later this autumn at the earliest.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I thought they already had it or it would be coming soon. Even so, any 5K iMac isn't likely until later this autumn at the earliest.

The weird thing is that the Best Buy by my house already supports chip but didn't turn on NFC support at the same time. I wonder if the NFC thing is going to be a simultaneous activation across all their stores once they finish bringing chip to them.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
The weird thing is that the Best Buy by my house already supports chip but didn't turn on NFC support at the same time. I wonder if the NFC thing is going to be a simultaneous activation across all their stores once they finish bringing chip to them.

A lot of merchants have the terminals, and it sucks for us customers

Reactions: Drumjim85

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Isn't there a deadline in the U.S. for these systems to be working sometime this autumn? I think that might be the reason that all of these places are installing them but few of them are actually turned on yet.

MMakoto

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Not a Discover customer and don't plan to be but wow, 10% off purchases through Apple Pay should be huge for them. Not only does it improve their relationship with existing customers but this is going to bring in a ton of new new customers (and encourage spending) in the months leading up to Christmas.

Would be interesting to see what the average customer ends up spending of the $10,000 limit.
it's 10% cashback, not 10% off.

c0LdFire

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
That 10% back would be awesome if I could use Apple Pay anywhere other than Walgreens and McDonald's where I'm at :(

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
My Discover card keeps getting better and better!

Wish I would have had this when I bought my $1400 computer 2 months ago.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Thanksgiving day sales @ apple store and 10% cashback sounds good (let us see the exclusions if any).

Just bought iPhone 6 a week back on 9/9, wish i waited a week ...

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
For new members or people who have already signed up for double cash back you get 20% cash back! You get the 10% and additional 10% after 12 months (they double your original cash back amount). Awesome deal to use in store at Apple.

Reactions: bmms8
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.