Discussions.apple.com is officially 100% DESTROYED

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by KellydenAdel, Jun 20, 2014.

1. KellydenAdel, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

KellydenAdel macrumors member

2. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

3. KellydenAdel thread starter macrumors member

No offense, but I really don't like this website at all. It has an 'air' about it that's very undesirable.

4. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

No offense taken. I tend to just sit back and enjoy it lol.

5. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Errr then why are you here?? :rolleyes:

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Looks fine to me

Attached Files:

7. Felasco Guest

KellydenAdel, could you please provide more detail? I get that you're upset, but I don't yet understand why. Thanks.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I stopped going there a while ago because Apple heavily sensors comments. Its their board and they can, I'm not saying they have no right but that doesn't mean I'm willing to dedicate my time and energy there.

So why did come here and post your complaint here, i.e., don't like Mr but you come here to complain about apple's discussion board?

Anyways if MacRumors and discussions.apple.com are not suiting your needs then find a forum that better fits what's important to you. There's plenty of them out there.

9. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I've never really liked the Apple Discussions site. Didn't like the atmosphere.

10. Felasco Guest

Yes, that's about my experience too.

I actually think moderation and killing some comments and threads is a good idea on any forum, because "anything goes" forums always turn to crap.

MacRumors does a pretty good job in this regard imho, keeping a pretty good balance between freedom of expression and a necessary level of content control. It's not that easy a line to walk, and I've seen a great many forums blow it, going too far in one direction of the other.

My complaint with the Apple forum was not so much that they censor comments, because on any forum a great many posts are junk and deserve to be axed.

My complaint was that Apple allows only a very limited amount of discussion of Apple's policies, and policies are both the source of most problems, and the greatest source of opportunity for positive change. Apple wants to encourage discussion of everything except that which matters most.

It's not a wise move, imho, because then posters like myself who have an interest in such policies will just come here, where we can still make our cases to large Mac audiences. and Apple has no control at all, and is not here to present it's side of an argument.

As the old saying goes, it's wise to keep one's friends close, and one's critics closer.

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

But you came to this nasty place with an unpleasant "air" about it to complain about another site.:confused:

Interesting logic.:rolleyes:

And as one of the stinky contributors who adds to the unpleasant "air" here...thanks for the heads up, I'll go take a shower now.:p

:rolleyes:

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm sorry you feel that way about MacRumors. The staff here and the membership at large try our best to make this a welcoming and enjoyable forum to visit.

13. 960design macrumors 68020

DEF:
    'air' about it that's very undesirable
    -too many knowledgeable people that will challenge your half answers and blatant errors​

I like MR. I'd say I'm pretty knowledgable about computing in general, the people here add to or correct my 'assistance' quite often. I believe I learn more by attempting to help someone and the responses I read.

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Oooh, is it official? Was there a press release?

15. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Not quite sure of your responses. You don't like discussions.apple.com and then you come to MR that has an "'air' about it that's very undesirable". This almost comes across as if you are baiting people to respond to you just so you can prove a point.

I tend to stay away from sites that give me that feeling. Yes sometime discussions get heated, but it is called "big shoulders", brush it off and move on. We can't all have the same personalities. That is what I find amusing about the boards.

Mostly the boards here are pretty friendly and one of the best I have come across. I find that I have learned a lot in the few years I have been on the boards here. MR is an invaluable tool for me.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I've learned so much over the years, MR has some truly gifted and knowledgeable and helpful people.

Its an internet forum and as such people behave a certain way sometimes that they wouldn't face to face and that can cause issues. Like you said, either report the post if its insulting or brush it off and ignore it.

17. KellydenAdel thread starter macrumors member

You understand nothing then, the "back room" for the upper level folks, most are threatening to leave, its despicable!

Its full of bugs, and it makes helping others impossible.

It just contains 100s of roadblock to helping people, things dont work, people that spend ENDLESS 1000s of hours there for free helping people,

nobody was consulted about this mess, and those that made this mess dont care , not even 1% !

Behind the scenes, its DEFCON 1, people who have been there 10, 15 years, they're most ALL of them threatening to leave,

several have already.

Its utter chaos there, the influx of questions is down 90% !

The questions being answered is way down. It seems Apple has decided to scale back the site because of the implications that site has for information or dirt about issues.

There are several good reasons why.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to understand the situation. You have a special forum because of your rank and something changed and its now full of bugs.

What do mean by full of bugs, is that forum not working correctly now?

Since you're just a member, albeit highly ranked, why should apple consult you on changes to their site. I don't understand that part of the post.

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

What's wrong with the iPad Air :D ?

20. dingster1 macrumors regular

21. KellydenAdel thread starter macrumors member

Apple consult? Because about 200 people are answering 95% of the questions.

There are people working there for free at a rate almost 2X that of a full time job.

Yes, it has more bugs than a beehive, it makes answering peoples questions and multiple questions IMPOSSIBLE.

It has so many 100s of serious bugs and issues, its literally worse than if it was hacked.

Nobody who spends ENDLESS 1000s of hours there was allowed to beta test this Atomic disaster.

It isnt as if "some" people , the serious helpers there dont like it, its that EVERYONE despises it.

All the people there answering questions, they're vanishing faster than water going down the drain, its horrific.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Chill, you seem so upset about it.

I've long stopped going there because of apple's handling of the forum, so what you describe is nothing surprising.

As for Apple owing you, because you spend your days answering questions on a site that apple itself advertises as end user support is misguided. Sure there are lots of people who dedicate a lot of time to helping out, that does not entitle them to anything. sure it would have been nice for Apple to offer some inside information but then again Apple doesn't really offer inside information do they.

23. KellydenAdel, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

KellydenAdel thread starter macrumors member

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603