Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
1. Leave

2. Leave. Like travel and stuff. Take a vacation.

3. Laugh about how silly it was to be so concerned about a Mac forum. It's like trying to get the high score on an arcade game. It seems really important in the moment but a year later no one will care. In the scope of eternity, Apple changing their discussion forums is less than a blip.

5. Drink coffee, read books, and forget 4. Because you can.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
From my brief look over there since it has been redesigned, it seems the have optimized it for users asking questions and not for those who answer it.

I can see where Apple is coming from as the forums previously were likely pretty daunting for new users coming in to ask questions.

In addition, it doesn't seem that many of the grievances are "bugs," but instead the removal or changing of items that users were used to. Honestly, reading some of the posts regarding the changes or "problems," those complaining sound like a bunch of crotchety old folks who can't handle change.

That said, it isn't something that can't be fixed. I would echo some of the other comments here:

1. Calm down
  2. Realize that you don't matter
  3. Realize that this ultimately doesn't matter
  4. Compile a list of the problems
  5. Submit them to Apple, calmly
  6. Wait
  7. If nothing happens, leave

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Only thing I don't like about MacRumors is the forum makes me feel like I'm back in the 00's era of the internet. The design and colours are so outdated. It's like when every bit of IT equipment was beige.

Functionally, it's great. Just needs a new theme.

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
From my brief look over there since it has been redesigned, it seems the have optimized it for users asking questions and not for those who answer it.

I can see where Apple is coming from as the forums previously were likely pretty daunting for new users coming in to ask questions.

I consider it a bug of sorts to use forum software which appears to exist on only one site on the Internet. This pretty much guarantees that many visitors will be confused. And then every time you mess around with such unique software in an attempt to "improve" it, even more people will become confused.

Apple is not in the forum software business and shouldn't have tried to reinvent the wheel. They should have done what MacRumors did, and buy familiar well known off the shelf forum software from a reputable developer. It would have saved them lots of time and money, and lots of confused users too.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Only thing I don't like about MacRumors is the forum makes me feel like I'm back in the 00's era of the internet. The design and colours are so outdated. It's like when every bit of IT equipment was beige.

Functionally, it's great. Just needs a new theme.

Agreed. I'd love to see a new, fresh design.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I popped back myself and found that its really not so much a forum as much as tool to search for answers. Its an interesting design and I think its fine. The OP doesn't like it, and of course he's welcome to his opinion.

I still use google as my first line of defense in looking for an answer anyways :)

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I'm surprised there are people who genuinely think Apple's discussion boards have ever been really useful for stuff that goes beyond the basic 1-2-3 (as printed in manuals).

No offense intended to anyone, really, I know there are always good folks out there trying their best to help out and who contribute to building/maintaining a community, but those are boards owned and operated by a company, it's never going to be a community-driven endeavour.

Everything that's even just remotely controversial gets censored, putting time and effort in that sort of site is pointless - yes anyone could say putting time and effort in MacRumors boards is equally pointless, but there's more of a community going here than there ever was on Apple's boards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.