Disney and CBS Signing on to Apple TV Subscription Service? Tablet to be 'multimedia gadget'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Wall Street Journal reports that CBS and Walt Disney are considering participating in an upcoming plan by Apple to offer television subscription services over the internet.
    Apple is hoping to introduce the service in 2010.

The news comes as there is increasing evidence that Apple is looking to revamp its iTunes services. The recent acquisition of Lala Media has raised the possibility that Apple is seriously looking at subscription services as the future for iTunes. This approach is said to also fit in with Apple's Tablet plans which is being described as "a multimedia gadget" according to The Wall Street Journal's sources.

Apple is said to be seeing early resistance, however, from other content providers potentially limiting the offerings of the service. Content providers seem to be apprehensive about cutting off existing revenue streams depending on the terms of the deal with Apple.

Article Link: Disney and CBS Signing on to Apple TV Subscription Service? Tablet to be 'multimedia gadget'

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Damn, I wanted the tablet to be a usable device. Not another Gogglebox.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

$37.95 (current price of basic cable) or less and I’m sold.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Probably Fox that's holding out. They're trying to stick it to everybody right now, on-air and online. Screw them. Fox sucks anyway. 24 is on it's last legs and American Idol without Cowell will last as long as Paula Abdul in a spelling bee.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'll stick with my HTPC. I haven't watched anything on Fox in years.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The price is important.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of services are offered. I'm looking forward to the newspaper and magazine offerings, however, I want a la carte, not a bunch of pablum shoved down my throat.

7. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I buy DVDs of Shows I actually want to watch.... I dont have a lot of DVDs.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Buy DVDs? When I can get them from the library?

9. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

I like buying my DVDs as well.

However, a multimedia tablet coupled with access to TV Shows and Published media would certainly something to consider.

10. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Video Libraries here are mainly movies.

11. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

If it doesn't run full OS X and it's some locked down iPhone-OS type, then I won't even take a whiff.

I'm already battling Apple trying to get the most out of my iPhone, I don't need another device to fight with.

12. Thex1138 macrumors 6502a

Thex1138

Split

Would it be a 70/30 revenue split... like the rest of us ?

13. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

Its about time...I hope that the pricing is fair because the cable companies change their rates when every they feel like it...no maybe Apple can offer a decent price with some options

14. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

Even though Apple represents a Monopsony to them (a monopolistic buyer), it also is a "benevolent dictator" in that in exchange for a non-exclusive agreement they happen to know in advance will be dominant anyway, they will also receive about 20% higher net revenues on those sales than from any one of a dozen other non-exclusive (bit player) suppliers.

The reason the bit players do not have larger market share is not because of exclusionary practices by Apple, but because of a more focused approach, message, and system, to deliver the very services content offerors need and cannot do themselves. Or they already would have, directly or through bit players.

Which they have not.

Apple TV in the palm of your hand? Not a hobby? :D

Rocketman

ATNN

15. travistaylor macrumors regular

Give me a tablet with an HDMI-out and a subscription service incorporating HD content, and I am sold. Otherwise, it's a no-go for me.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think we're having a small communication problem. By library, I do mean the public library. I have Law & Order Season 6 on my desk right now and it's a 21 day loan. 791.4572 is home to the majority of TV series.

24, CSI (all series), and Two and a Half Men are very popular circulating items right now. If I can't get anything locally I just order from another branch. It took 3 business days to get a few of the Harry Potter movies.

17. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Even less chance at a normal library then. Unless you like CDs of bands youve never even heard of.

18. lightpeak macrumors regular

Orrrrrrr, it can just include a slot DVD player/burner and you can watch your content on that. How about that? Ah, but that doesn't make Apple and content providers money by tying it down to download/streaming. Smart, Apple.

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've been pretty lucky here in my public library system.

I did buy DVDs at one point. If it's just disposable media, I'll just get it on loan from the library.

20. ShiftyPig macrumors 6502a

Would as many people watch Hulu if they had to pay to subscribe to it? No.

This isn't anything groundbreaking. Could achieve the same thing with cable, a DVR, and Sling. Some gamechanger :confused:

21. ShiftyPig macrumors 6502a

Aren't you the same person who grossly misused the term business trojan horse? I've got an idea, how about we all throw buzzwords around so we can fill up about 5 pages of cack and nothing of any substance. :rolleyes:

22. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Does Disney really think they have a high enough customer base of users that will be using an Apple Tablet computer?

I REALLLLLLY doubt they will include one as they are trying to push digital media through iTunes.... just my .02

23. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Very important. I'm a cheap a$$. If they make it stupidly affordable, more people will jump on it. They could make more with it being cheap.

I think it was NBC who was impressed with how many shows sold on iTunes when they first launched.

24. strike1555 macrumors 6502

Pass. My iPhone/laptop can do everything this can for free. (ORB).

25. mex4eric macrumors 6502

mex4eric

Canada 3 years later?

With an excuse about negotiating with Canadian rights owners, when the Canadian rights owner is likely Disney Canada.

Oh well!