Disney CEO Bob Iger Staying on Apple's Board, Will 'Continue to Monitor' Situation

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 12, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Disney CEO Bob Iger has sat down with CNBC's David Faber to discuss a wide range of topics, including the company's upcoming streaming service Disney+ and how that will impact his position on Apple's board of directors.

[​IMG]

Despite the fact that Disney+ will compete with Apple's upcoming TV+ streaming service, Iger said the business of direct-to-consumer television or movies is "still very small" to Apple. At this point, Iger doesn't believe the situation is "problematic," but said it is one he will "continue to monitor."

Transcript via CNBC:
    Apple named Iger to its board of directors in 2011 under the leadership of CEO Tim Cook.

Disney+ will feature both new and existing movies and series from Disney and its brands, including Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, and National Geographic. It will also series from Fox, including all 30 seasons of The Simpsons.

The service is slated to launch November 12 for $6.99 per month in the United States, with a worldwide rollout in major countries expected by 2021. Disney+ will be accessible on the web, smartphones, smart TVs, tablets, media players like Roku, game consoles like the PS4, and likely the Apple TV.

Apple TV+ will feature original movies and TV shows with well-known directors, producers, and actors such as Jennifer Aniston and Steven Spielberg. The service will be accessible through Apple's TV app on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and the Mac starting in the fall, but Apple has yet to reveal pricing.

Article Link: Disney CEO Bob Iger Staying on Apple's Board, Will 'Continue to Monitor' Situation

2. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

lol! Helps to know what the competition is doing. :)

3. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Not gonna lie... AppleTV+ still sounds lame, but Disney+ sounds awesome.

4. AngerDanger, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Gotta commend @Joe Rossignol for not using that standard photo of Iger where he looks like he's blowing up the Disney World Castle.

[​IMG]
    Explosion courtesy of BlinkFarm

5. Kurri macrumors 6502

Funny he is on the board but they cant get 4K disney in iTunes.

6. Scooz macrumors 6502

Reminds me of Eric Schmidt sitting on Apple’s board before the iPhone launch.

Not that i’d care about Apple’s TV service, though.

7. Moonlight macrumors 6502a

Moonlight

8. Kermit262 macrumors 6502

Kermit262

I'm a huge fan of Apple and Disney, but in in this case there is no contest - we will be subscribing to Disney+ and passing on Apple TV+.

9. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Aren't there many other capable people for Apple's board who don't have a conflict of interest ?

I'm not sure how someone can make the comparison since AppleTV+ is still relatively unknown.

You may end up being correct but I would wait till both are out before making the comparison.

One note on Disney+. Customers are now expected to get another subscription when a good portion of the content used to be on Netflix ? I can't see how this favors the customer since they only used to need one subscription.

10. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I really hate the fragmentation in the streaming market, and it seems to be driven by the fact that everyone wants to own the end to end experience. I feel like the consumer would benefit much more from a separation of content providers and delivery services. If I had my druthers, I'd be watching Disney content on Apple hardware through the Netflix service.

I'm starting to feel like Netflix is going to get squeezed out if it keeps heading in this direction, which would be a shame because they really did remake the face of media consumption.

11. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

Not sure how you can glean that from quotes in an article, but it certainly doesn't show where it counts-- Disney's revenues, profits, and stock price, all of which have been flat for nearly 5 years.

Business intelligent, definitely not smarter than Tim Cook, but maybe he could beat Tim Cook at chess.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2019 ---
    Did you read the part where it says he recuses himself when matters relating to competing products come up?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2019 ---
    Pushing his own company's products and services while serving as a member of the board would be a breach of his fiduciary duties. So not funny or unusual at all.

12. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

Iger also signaled he would be stepping down as CEO at the end of his contract in a few years... granted he could change his mind.

13. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

Tim Cook sitting on Disney's board would be analogous to Eric Schmidt sitting on Apple's board before the iPhone launch.

This is the complete opposite.

14. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I believe that it's the customer that will suffer in the end. With the fragmentation, I think that all the streaming services will do poorly.

15. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Yes, and when it comes to it they'll probably part ways. Eric Schmidt was on the Apple board when iPhone launched and Android followed shortly after. He left the board in 2009.

Part of this is just what happens when you seek advice from experts in the areas of your business (which is largely what the role of the board is)-- and it gets more likely the more sprawling these megacompanies get.

16. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

You hate the fragmentation of the streaming market, but feel that the consumer would benefit from separation of services? o_O

17. NickName99 macrumors member

NickName99

That’s such an obvious conflict of interest, I wonder if Apple keeps him on for some other benefit?

18. Mgamma macrumors newbie

Mgamma

The way this needs to go is bundled subscription services, not everyone including Disney vying for 9.99 a month to increase profits, Cable/media provider service have become insanely expensive because everyone wants to increase their share. What happened to responsibility over profiteering? This may be a case where lower pricing or bundling can increase sales/profits.

19. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

I think it’s partly due to Steve being a huge part of Pixar, there’s been a decent relationship with Disney over the years.

20. AZ63 macrumors 6502

AZ63

So, what’s the over/under on Apple’s monthly streaming charge?
    I really think, being Apple, the monthly ding will be $14.99 to start and that it will have different tiers of access.
    My bet, Apple won’t make it cheap or easy.

21. Baymowe335, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Because?

Ridiculous, unfounded statement.

Go over to DISboards or WDWForums and see what they think about Iger.

From a factual perspective, AAPL has outperformed DIS over the last 10 years and is about 4 times the size.

Cook added $600B in market cap to AAPL since he took over, or about 3 total Disney companies.

Again, Cook has a better record with his company than Iger. Fact. He’s performed better in terms of annual returns (easily) and added FAR more total value.

Iger is CEO of a media company and they STILL don’t have a streaming service. Based on market response today, they’ve been dying to have it and Disney was SUPER late.

I own shares in both companies and think Disney is a top 5 company, but Cook has done better.

22. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Yeah, I feel the same, but I need to step back and think about it a bit more. It's odd to say that the consumer suffers from greater competition in the market-- there are definitely businesses where that's true, but is entertainment one of them?

There's a few things happening here and I need to tease them apart. There appears to be more competition in streaming services and there's consolidation of the content generation-delivery system. I'm frustrated that I can't just use one service to access all the content that I would like to, but is that because I'm limited or because there's so much more good content being created by this system that I'm forced to choose?

Maybe it's just a false assumption that if Netflix didn't try making content, I'd be able to stream Disney through their service, and if Apple didn't then I'd be able to consolidate Netflix into the Apple TV app.

It's probably good business because I feel pressured to subscribe to more than one service to get the content I want, which means I'm spending more than I would have otherwise, which means this sector is growing. I'm frustrated by the pressure to spend more or be disappointed that I can't see Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Monsters Inc, Star Trek Discovery and... I dunno, I'm sure TV+ will put something out worth watching...

I'm trying to figure out if I'm actually frustrated by the consolidation or the massive wave of good content... And then I'm trying to think of what the end game is and whether we'll forever have this much good content or if the natural outcome is going to be two major competitors charging enough that I can't justify subscribing to both.

23. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Woah. Some who knows the facts.

I’m a DIS shareholder and haven’t been happy over the last several years. You correctly point out the severe under performance of Disney shares over the last 5 years.

Excellent post.

24. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Why would any company allow someone who works for another on their Board of Directors? Let alone someone who works for the competition. Didn't Apple learn their lesson with Google's Schmidt on their board.

25. NMBob macrumors 6502a

So TV streaming at Apple is just a mickey mouse endeavor?