Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Disney+ now has more than 118 million global paid subscribers, Disney announced today in its earnings report for the fourth quarter of 2021 [PDF]. The streaming service has gained 2.1 million subscribers in the last quarter, and 44.4 million subscribers over the course of the last 12 months.

disney-plus.jpg

In November 2020, Disney+ had 73.7 million subscribers, so its growth over the last year has been astronomical. Disney+ has exceeded all expectations since it launched in November 2019. When the service first came out, Disney said that it wanted to reach 60 to 90 million subscribers by 2024, a milestone that it hit before the end of 2020.

Disney now expects to have 230 to 260 million subscribers worldwide by 2024, and if Disney reaches that goal, Disney+ will have more subscribers than Netflix does today. As of October 2021, Netflix has 213.5 million subscribers worldwide.

Netflix and Disney+ are two of the most popular streaming services, with subscriber counts that outpace other services like Hulu and Apple TV+. Hulu has 43.8 million subscribers, but Apple has never shared subscriber numbers for Apple TV+.

Apple TV+ and Disney+ launched at the same time, but Disney+ has seen much more rapid growth because of its back catalog of Disney, Marvel, and Star Wars content, along with popular new shows like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," "Loki," and "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier."

Apple is working hard to bolster its selection of original movies and TV shows, but it will take years for Apple TV+ to have a catalog that can compete with the offerings of other streaming services.

Back in April, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that Apple TV+ is going "very well" and that Apple feels "really good" about where Apple TV+ is at.

Article Link: Disney+ Has 118.1 Million Subscribers Two Years After Launch

Think|Different

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2021
A more than disingenuous comparison but I understand it was made to justify a post about Disney news. I’ve gotten more “original” content worth out of TV+ than Disney, since launch, but, yes LOL, obviously their back catalog is unmatched across all the services. We enjoy them both, no one needs them all, though, which some reason seems to become the argument on all this posts.

McKodiak

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
I love my Disney+ and Apple TV+. I really hate the comparisons amongst streaming services though. Apple is strictly creating original content from the ground up. Netflix had a HUGE head start. Disney+ owns more content than can possibly be watched in a lifetime. But I will try...

sw1tcher

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2004
Netflix and Disney+ are two of the most popular streaming services, with subscriber counts that outpace other services like Hulu and Apple TV+. Hulu has 43.8 million subscribers, but Apple has never shared subscriber numbers for Apple TV+.
Why no mention of Amazon? Amazon has over 200 million Prime subscribers worldwide which means over 200 million Prime video subscribers.

sw1tcher

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2004

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
Why no mention of Amazon? Amazon has over 200 million Prime subscribers worldwide which means over 200 million Prime video subscribers.
I think many Amazon Prime Video subscribers have it only because they subscribed to Amazon Prime for deliveries. It’s a good ‘free’ benefit but I doubt I would subscribe to it separately if it wasn’t part of the Amazon membership.

Return Zero

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
I think many Amazon Prime Video subscribers have it only because they subscribed to Amazon Prime for deliveries. It’s a good ‘free’ benefit but I doubt I would subscribe to it separately if it wasn’t part of the Amazon membership.
I actually cancelled my Prime when they introduced streaming video, lol. It made me reconsider how much I was using what they offered, and it just wasn't worth it for me to keep.

Return Zero

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
It's pretty easy to add subscribers when your service is being given away for free via Verizon.
I was wondering that myself... they're "paid subscribers" but the first year was subsidized by Verizon. Still, I think the value was there for most people such that they kept the service after the promo was over. Otherwise we might have seen a drop-off or plateau.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I don’t think Apple set out to compete with the services that offer back catalogs of content — rather to complement those services. I’ve tried out most of the services — for me, Disney+, Apple TV+, and Prime are more than enough.
Honestly I'm not quite sure what Apple set out to compete with. THIS seems way more of a hobby compared to how they used to call the Mac Mini a hobby...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.