Disney Is the Only Major Hollywood Studio Not Backing Apple's Plan to Sell 4K Films at $20

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Maybe. They backed out of Netflix to start their own streaming deal. Idk how much Disney is relying on Apple for sales. They aren’t exactly hurting.

2. Martinpa macrumors newbie

That's why I said VFX can be an issue.

That's also why newer film that can financially support it should do their DI in 4K directly. And previously released movies that only have their VFX in 1080p should weigh the pros and cons of redoing them, and decide if, against a prospected boost in sale from it, a 4K conversion is financially responsible...

The thing is that anytime there is a new technology (and TV manufacturers and movie theaters will always push for newer technology to stimulate sales), the distributor will use it as an excuse to bump the price and eventually we won't be paying what the product is worth... but since it'll come gradually, couple of bucks at a time, we'll be groomed and accustomed into it. If they bumped it then dropped it back down when the price of exploitation of the technology has diminished, it'd be another story, but you can still see the two-tier pricing between SD and HD... and HD is way past established.

3. mmm1345 macrumors regular

mmm1345

Yes, because I believe you worked in film/tv and didn't bother to read the rest of your post after that statement.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    Then why waste your time commenting? No one cares. You don't like, entertainment, 4K and are cheap. Aren't you special?

4. DudeDad macrumors 6502a

DudeDad

Perhaps already addressed (too lazy to read 8 pages of comments!): any word on what 4K rentals will go for? Same as HD rentals? DirecTV has $12 rentals, which is absurd. Looking forward to ordering the AppleTV tomorrow!

5. PBRsg macrumors 6502

PBRsg

The Pirate Bay prices cannot be beaten. LMAO.

6. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502

Sounds like someone is mad. Didn't know I was a thief by paying my $15 a month for Apple Music, thanks for letting me know lol. There's literally thousands of studies that show piracy actually helps sales and pirates are MORE likely to buy things if they are easily accessible.

http://bfy.tw/DvKB

7. Dave FL, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

Dave FL macrumors newbie

I see that Dolby Plus will be the Audio on the 4K. Can they update this later to other formats?

8. mmm1345 macrumors regular

mmm1345

That's not what you said, you said this is why people Pirate and people who Pirate stuff are thieves. So yeah, I'm actually mad at all the idiots who think being a thief is "cool." Guess that makes me so "unreasonable."

9. MrXiro, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Has anyone ever called you a crazy person? Cause the shoe might fit.

You see my profile picture That's the cover to one of my short films.

And here ya go:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1764966/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
    But I guess that means nothing to you either.

Mods you can ban me for this comment but I'm calling out a loco person if they talk batty like this.

I'll be sure to block you after I know you've seen this ;)

10. mytdave macrumors 6502

That sounds like Disney... Have you seen the price of admission to one of their theme parks these days? There you go.

$20 for 4k is more than reasonable, since $20 for HD was way overpriced, particularly when you can buy a blu-ray disc for $9-15 for most titles.

11. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Their price of admission is actually to keep so many people from coming in (they actually stated this a year or 2 ago when they raised the prices for Disneyland).

It's kind of a mean spirited strategy but the parks are overcrowded and this is better in their eyes than turning people away.

And no I don't agree with it. I'm just stating what they stated.

Disney doesn't have a huge 4K library yet so they probably just don't want to commit to it.

They were the first to upgrade SD/720p Digital copies to HD for free on iTunes years ago.

12. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

More like someone is crazy... you should look at her previous posts. They're all extremely aggressive.

13. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

I'd really love Apple Music deliver 24 bits streamin soon too...but difficult to happen

14. Dethklok macrumors member

Old films too. Anything shot on 35mm is close to 4k

15. Camelo1216 macrumors newbie

Camelo1216

How do you buy the 4K code for $10?

16. benjo765 macrumors member

If you also get to keep a copy of that movie for the $30 - $50 'early-bird' viewing then maybe, otherwise it just seems an impatient waste of money.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    Star Wars is one thing, but half of Disney's library is animated. Who the hell needs Dumbo 4k?

17. Martinpa macrumors newbie

Indeed, anything 35mm (or the few things shot in 70mm). But it involves rescanning the film and re-conforming the footage, which I would assume is more expensive than just re-conforming digital footage (and, like stated before, there's VFX to think about also). And the older the film, the more damaged it probably is (depending on how they stored it, etc.) so there might be expenses in restoration also.

Why would it be unbelievable? An awful lot of people do, to different degrees and at different levels...
    ?

18. JamesPDX macrumors 65816

JamesPDX

The nightmare is all of that Pixar and Laika stuff. Can you imagine the cost to re-render something like Toy Story? I'm not talking about a 2k to 4k up-res of the master, but a 4k timeline out to Dolby Vision, etc.

19. bevo macrumors regular

Same here. A lot of the stuff we've purchased as been Disney/Pixar for the kids. Although we've tended to go cheap with SD versions. Kids don't know the difference.

20. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

There's not much "high end" about AppleTV except the price. They're already behind the competition and overpriced and from what I read they don't support Dolby Atmos or DTS:X (both "high end" audio formats).

The only thing you really get any kind of good deal on is an automatic upgrade of your iTunes movie collection to 4K. That is only useful, of course if you already have a large iTunes movie collection. Putting a $200 box in every room in the house could get expensive to say the least.

I don't know how iTunes 4K will compare to a Blu-Ray UHD, but I can be fairly certain it will be inferior due to the need to compress the signal a LOT more for transmission over the Net. But then I'm pretty ticked already about the industry trying to kill off 3D (more interesting to me than 4K, personally, given most 4K titles are 2K upconverts and HDR is being used to make people notice an actual difference since most people don't sit 5-8 feet from their 60" TVs to actually see 4K resolution. The other big difference is most 4K titles are including Atmos or DTS:X (sadly, they lately seem to be purposely withholding it from regular Blu-Rays to push the more expensive 4K ones), but Apple clearly thinks most people using AppleTV don't actually have real home theaters with receivers and multi-speaker setups or they would include it (it's just meta data so technically speaking their DD+ capability even on the Gen 4 device could technically carry the signal; the like to include 30 sets of subtitles and 7 soundtracks on many newer iTunes titles, but having more channels is apparently beyond them).

The sad thing about Disney, though is that Steve Jobs used to have a pretty high standing with Disney because of their Pixar relationship. I guess Disney decided that doesn't matter now that he's dead. Disney is busy getting ready to pull all their programming from Netflix for similar reasons (GREED) to form their own streaming service (I hope it fails for the greedy buggers).