Disney Is the Only Major Hollywood Studio Not Backing Apple's Plan to Sell 4K Films at $20

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Cigsm macrumors 6502

It can cost hundreds of thousands to MILLIONS to convert a film to 4K. Most films DI's are done in 2k. That means all the special fox would have to be completely redone - from scratch - in 4K.

2. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Disney only has 1 4K movie in their library currently... Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. I'm sure in due time they'll join the party.

3. Cigsm macrumors 6502

Most movies in general aren't finished in 4K

4. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Not true about redoing the DI... They would just upconvert the 2K print/file to 4K and call it a day. That is what Disney did with Guardians 2 UHD... sadly the film is a little softer than something that came from a 4K source but most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Don't see a reason why not. I mean the only device that can watch those files besides your computer is an Apple TV 4K so it would be easier to flip the switch for all HD than to pick and choose which ones were redeemed vs which ones were paid. I'm willing to bet there are far more redeemed copies than outright purchased ones anyway.
    Probably back end profits since they loaned Iron Man and co. for the film. That way they don't need to front any money. Also I'm sure Kevin Feige was involved so there is money exchanged for that too.
    Apple most likely only takes their standard 20-30% on the movies. Either way they make less if things sell for less... in situations like this it's better to sell in volume at a lower price than fewer at a higher price.

5. cube macrumors G5

A lot of movies were filmed with 4K digital cameras and they threw away the originals!

6. budselectjr, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017

budselectjr macrumors 6502a

7. cube macrumors G5

I noticed something weird the other day, Qobuz was playing stereo tracks on all speakers (no trick on receiver).

I used to do it with the Mac connected directly to the sound system, but now I have a PC which is connected via HDMI to my Samsung TV which is connected via optical to the sound system.

Then I remembered seeing "Audio Output: DTS Neo 2:5" on the TV menu while troubleshooting multichannel SACD.

I had thought "it's some DTS format", and now I see that it is a kind of matrix.

8. PalNova macrumors newbie

9. Alan Wynn macrumors member

Samsung is not a Film Studio. Sony supports Dolby Vision both in their television sets and their content. Microsoft announced support for XBox video when the format was launched.

10. PalNova macrumors newbie

11. Beyo macrumors newbie

Beyo

Fact they use Spiderman Homecoming is very intresting.
    It's a Marvel movie, not Sony. Well Columbia may have distributing rights but this time it's Marvel that own the creative right to his own character, so it's more Disney than other Spiderman movies before

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

But it's a Sony Pictures Home Entertainment release, not Disney.

It's not going to be in DMA for example.

13. Beyo macrumors newbie

Beyo

Thats why I think 50$ at the day of launch is not bad idea. Movie theaters will yell for sure. the licence still would be personal. Or maybe additional tier for 100 or 200$ if you own private cinema and want to show movie for your friends and sell tickets or something.
    Or some DRM video with lock for one device for first 17 days and after that DRM is disabled. Lot of possibilities, it's a pity that movie industry stuck with old solutions
    You never know. for this Movie Disney made agreement with Sony. They own the right to character so without this Sony is essentialy cut off profit.

14. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Maybe, and it would be nice to have it in DMA. But everything I read is the opposite. Marvel didn't make any revenue from this:
    http://collider.com/spider-man-marvel-sony-deal-explained/

15. Beyo macrumors newbie

Beyo

They do however we don;t know details of the contract. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.

16. jdclifford macrumors 6502

Disney has become as arrogant as Apple is. News flash:The Earth revolves around the Sun not Apple or Disney ( at least for non-millennials).

17. cylack macrumors regular

18. mmm1345 macrumors 6502

mmm1345

im sure Disney is shaking in their boots because you don't like them anymore.

19. jorkie macrumors newbie

jorkie

I feel like this partly explains why they showed John Lasseter in the audience so many times during the presentation.

20. mmm1345 macrumors 6502

mmm1345

Omg! A company doesn't bow down to Apple, let's break out the fanboy outrage and pitchforks!!!
    to complain.
    Before everyone breaks out the haterade because Disney isn't bowing down to the Apple gods and idiot fanboys. Remember Disney has a very awesome digital service called Disney Movies Anywhere where you purchase or redeem a Digital Copy code that digital copy plays pretty much EVERYWHERE (Apple, UltraViolet, Microsoft, Google, YouTube, Playstation, etc. I haven't found a service yet, that doesn't work with it.) This is the most consumer friendly digital platform in existence right now. I for one hate it when studios make you choose between UltraViolet or iTunes (and it's rare they even give users a choice.).

I'm sure from a technology standpoint, one of the reasons they haven't fully embraced 4K Streaming yet is because it's not ubiquitous enough to deliver the same level of service that customers have come to expect from DMA. Remember Disney's audience are family and kids and they need to keep their stuff as simple and mass market as possible.

21. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

Not sure what's unclear with my terminology.

Virtually all of the movie studios (including Sony Pictures) have embraced Dolby Vision, as well as most TV manufacturers (including Sony).

Are you talking about game consoles? Sorry, I can't help you there.

As for Samsung, they're (stubbornly) not supporting DV because Samsung has its competing HDR10+ standard, which only 21st Century Fox and Panasonic have embraced as of yet.

22. mmm1345 macrumors 6502

mmm1345

I love it when people use blanket statements like no one does x. I prefer physical copies with the digital code. Then i have the best of both. Streaming only sucks and usually the blu-ray/digital is about the same price as digital only so why wouldn't I buy the physical copy and have both for basically the same price.

23. mazdamiata210 Suspended

This is why piracy will never end. Old out of touch idiots running companies and cutting off consumers to make an extra $5... I don't know about you, but I'd rather make $19.99 sold to 800 million users than 24.99 sold to 10 million users. We need same day release, at a low and fair price. It cost ALOT less to sell something digitally than it does to have to package it and sell it at retail stores. So why are they selling for the same prices? Movies, games, music, etc...

24. mmm1345 macrumors 6502

mmm1345

Wow, just wow. You KNOW NOTHING about the film making and restoration process. Converting films and restoring films is very expensive AND time consuming. Look up the work they did on movies like Godfather, Terminator 2, Ghostbusters, Wizard of Oz, the list is numerous. When invest in 4K restorations it costs a fortune. It's not as simple as just "upconvert." Please just don't post on the internet if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Piracy will never end because thieves like you just like to find a reason to justify stealing stuff. "Wha, I can't get something the way I want it. I'll just STEAL it. Look at me, I'm a rebel." Every freaking post has someone like you who finds SOMETHING to complain about to justify why it's cool to be a thief.

25. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Disney Movies Anywhere won't be working with Microsoft in the future.

26. MrXiro, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I've worked in film and TV in Hollywood for 14 years and worked for post color facilities in the past... so I must know SOME things since I've worked at multiple post houses in the past. I also worked in post production as a coordinator for Sony Pictures in Home Entertainment for 3 years. I currently work for the FX networks.

Since you seem to know it all, you already know that anything that has a 4K restore doesn't need to be restored again so that's money already spent and the digital assets is good to be conformed to whatever spec as needed. I know this because this is exactly what I was in charge of when I worked at Sony Pictures. Conforms for iTunes, Amazon, Vudu and Prosieben.

And as I said the DI for Guardians Vol 2 was done in 2K. The information is out there on the internet. Look it up... the information is on the internet. I know THIS because I read up on the specs of the 4K copy of Guardians before I purchased the disc.

Here I'll make it easier for you:
    "Regardless, the standard 4K/HDR UHD, presented at 2160p and likely upscaled from its reported 2K digital intermediate (albeit from an 8K source and, per IMDB, Dolby Vision), marks a quality debut to the format for Disney. The boost in color is the most immediately notable quality over the standard Blu-ray."
    - http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-2-4K-Blu-ray/182005/

Were Disney to conform this UHD for iTunes' spec they would just take the existing assets (Upscaled 4K Picture + Dialogue Stem (which ever language they choose) + Music Stem + Audio FX Stem) and conform it and output it. There is very little extra work and costs a couple hundred of dollars per conform. I know this because I also handled the billing after ordering said conforms.

I don't know if you're just a angry person or if you misread what I wrote because I was referring directly to a comment about 2K DI assets needing to be "redone".

But I'll take that apology in singles though, thank you. :)