Disney Is the Only Major Hollywood Studio Not Backing Apple's Plan to Sell 4K Films at $20

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple yesterday revealed the Apple TV 4K, a new set-top box that will bring all the features of the fourth-generation Apple TV, along with the ability to stream 4K HDR video content. This includes iTunes 4K movies, which the company confirmed will be sold for the same price as HD movies at $20 apiece. Users will even be able to gain access to 4K movies they've already purchased in HD at no extra charge.

When it made this announcement, Apple showed off a list of Hollywood studios during the keynote that will support 4K movies on iTunes at this price: 20th Century Fox, Lionsgate, Paramount, Sony, Warner Bros., and Universal Pictures. In a new report today, The Wall Street Journal noted that the major absence among this list is Disney.

[​IMG]
    Apple is said to have made deals with these studios so that 4K films would not rise above $20, but a few weeks ago it was reported that some studios were vying for $25-$30 for each 4K movie on iTunes. It isn't currently clear why Disney films -- which include Marvel and Star Wars -- won't be available in 4K on iTunes, but the WSJ pointed out that Disney currently sells its films in 4K on apps like Vudu, but at a higher price of $24.99. If talks fell through with Apple, that price tag is likely the reason why.

Apple's negotiations with participating studios reportedly went down to the wire, ending just weeks ahead of the September 12 reveal of the Apple TV 4K. Some studios are also said to still be interested in offering movies on platforms like iTunes just weeks after they debut in theaters, suggesting time frames and prices like 17 days after a theatrical debut for $50, or four to six weeks from release for $30. These talks are still ongoing and it remains to be seen if Apple and iTunes would ultimately take part in such a feature.

Article Link: Disney Is the Only Major Hollywood Studio Not Backing Apple's Plan to Sell 4K Films at $20

2. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

As with all things Apple they will come around. Snoozers are losers

3. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

4. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

They currently only sell one - Guardians of the Galaxy 2. POTC5 and Cars 3 are joining that soon unless they plan on selling catalog titles in 4k not available on disc.

5. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

Makes sense. No one plays with everyone nicely.

6. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

$50 for same day release ok, but not a 17 day wait

7. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

8. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

streaming service not store i believe

9. cardfan macrumors 65816

Disney is on the losing end of this. Customers get 4k if they bought HD. They're promised HD prices. Disney will either lose sales or get with the program. There's no way they don't want Apple's high end market.

10. hetrigger macrumors regular

hetrigger

Family of 6 times the price of tickets plus the cost of "food" equals less than that of proposed cost...I would do this. if I was single or it was a date night...I would go to the theater.

11. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

They did use Sony's Spiderman to show off 4K. They typically use Disney/Pixar films. Seemed like a bit of a snub given that (from what I read) Iger and Lasseter were in the audience. But if they didn't do the 4K deal, then they don't get stage time. If they're the only holdout, then the pressure is on. No way I'm re-buying my kid's movies in 4K, Disney. They don't care and I don't care. And they shouldn't be increasing the price either. I thought digital distribution was supposed to bring down prices? As it is I don't buy very many movies because of the price.

12. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

So far, Disney is at a $5 premium and not $10 like the other studios.

So $24.99 for a 4K download is pretty good considering most others (including catalog) is $29.99.

While $19.99 would be nice, I'm OK with $24.99...since I'll just buy the 4k code anyway for $10.

13. Vege-Taco macrumors member

Vege-Taco

14. bevo macrumors regular

Same day release would be great, but then movie theaters would yell. They probably the idea of a 17 day wait. I know with my work schedule and young family, getting to a theatre is a big deal. Ability to watch first run movies at home would be great. So many movies to catch up on...

15. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Keep your 4K movies, Disney. And pull all your stuff from Netflix. I don't watch cartoons anyway. As long as I have access to my Star Wars and Marvel movies I'll be just fine, you greedy bastards!

16. OS-SEX macrumors member

OS-SEX

Disney might be the only company more greedy than Apple. I say we kick Bob Iger off of the board of directors and declare war on the Magic Kingdom!

17. cube, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

cube macrumors G5

I might think about subscribing to a service that has a lot more movies than Netflix, but not just to watch Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm. Or movies from just one country.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Ah palace intrigue. Normally Disney is the first to cozy up to Apple -- ABC ATV app, Mickey Mouse on original AW. And, of course, Jobs for a time, was Apple's largest individual shareholder. Seems like maybe a Google-style divorce is in the offing. Next shoe to drop would be Bob Iger leaving Apple's board?

19. rpmurray macrumors member

"Apple is said to have made deals with these studios so that 4K films would not rise above $20"

Maybe Amazon could get the DoJ to go after Apple for colluding with the studios to fix prices, like they did for eBooks.

20. tommyboy21 macrumors member

So, Apple highlights Disney characters in their Apple Watch...but apparently the deal falls apart here?!? Not sure who is to blame - Apple or Disney - (sounds like it's probably Disney). This news is pretty aggravating though. Just shows you how much greed Disney has. First they put their movies on Netflix, then they say they are doing their own streaming service and so they'll pull their movies from Netflix. Now this. What's next: "Disney charging $10 more per ticket to see their movies in theaters"?!? Ridiculous.

21. triangletechie macrumors member

Not surprised. Di$ney was the last to support 4K. They always like to do their own thing.

22. adbe macrumors 6502a

Which you wont.

23. RobertMartens macrumors 65816

RobertMartens

Why do story writers give us a quote and then spend the whole next paragraph telling us exactly what the quote just said? This is what they teach you in journalism class? I'm glad I took the basketweaving class. At least I can weave baskets now.

24. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

What about the Blu-Rays I purchased that came with an HD redemption code on iTunes?

Will those also be upgraded to 4K?

25. RickInHouston macrumors 6502a

So Disney owns the content. Apple is trying to set the price.

Why is apple the Good Guy in this? Just because they're asking for less price and Disney isn't agreeing? All those that think Disney should cave, rethink your answer if you owned the content. Content that is very, very valuable.

26. MacKai macrumors regular

MacKai

Disney has become really greedy when it come to the movie prices. They also have some kind of battle going on with Amazon. Disney has not allowed any preorders of their new bluray releases on Amazon.
    Three of the biggest movies of the year, Moana, Dr. Stange, and Rogue One were not available on Amazon until almost a month after release. The original Toy Story is still selling for $19.99 on iTunes and that movie is 22 years old.