Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Disney+ has surpassed 100 million global paid subscribers, Disney announced today during a shareholders meeting. The streaming service has gained five million subscribers since Mid-February, which was the last time subscriber info was shared.

disney-plus.jpg

"The enormous success of Disney+ --which has now surpassed 100 million subscribers--has inspired us to be even more ambitious, and to significantly increase our investment in the development of high-quality content," said Disney CEO Bob Chapek.

Disney has set a target of 100+ new titles per year across Disney Animation, Disney Live Action, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic, with Chapek calling the company's direct to consumer business a "top priority."

Disney+ reached the 100 million subscriber milestone 16 months after launch, exceeding all of the original subscriber targets that Disney set. When the service launched, Disney said that it hoped to hit 60 to 90 million subscribers by 2024, which it hit before the end of 2020.

Disney now believes that it will have 230 to 260 million subscribers worldwide by 2024, which will see Disney+ surpassing Netflix. In January, Netflix had more than 200 million subscribers worldwide.

While Disney+ launched at the same time as Apple TV+, Disney's streaming service has grown much more rapidly. By five months after launch, Disney+ already had over 50 million subscribers thanks to Disney's wealth of existing content and original shows like "The Mandalorian" and "WandaVision."

Apple has not provided details on Apple TV+ subscribers so there's no direct comparison available, but Apple's subscriber numbers are not likely to be anywhere near Disney's as Apple still has many people who are on free trials, which have been extended multiple times. Apple is also reimbursing Apple TV+ costs for subscribers at the current time and will do so until July.

Apple has been ramping up its selection of original movies and TV shows and has invested heavily in new content, but it will be years before Apple TV+ has a catalog that can compete with other streaming services.

Article Link: Disney+ Now Has More Than 100 Million Subscribers

Reactions: decypher44

Jony Quest

Suspended
Mar 9, 2021
Easily the best deal out there, as far as streaming services go!

I used the D23 code at launch to prepay 3 years of the service, locked in at ≈ $3/month- making it a particularly amazing value, but even at the new price… it’s fabulous.
Access to movies while still in theaters, an insane back catalogue of shows & movies, plus the biggest ramp up of top tier original content since the advent of streaming… not surprisingly it is a juggernaut!

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Disney market cap: $355 billion. Why not make them an offer, Apple?
Disney and Apple have partnered for years and that's the way Apple wants it. Disney brings too much baggage and a different corporate culture. Disney is now one of the few companies playing in the tech/streaming space that is actually older than Apple. Apple only wants their name on Apple originals but what would happen when a new animated feature from Disney premieres on Apple TV+? Half of the audience would call it a Disney production and the other half would call it Apple. Like Disney (who bought Pixar to avoid this very thing) Apple needs total control over their branding and and marketing in order to be Apple.

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
I wonder when Apple will announce it reached 100.000 paying ATV+ customers ?

Seriously though, ATV+ has some great content but no way I’m becoming a paying customer. Unless it is included in a bundle I’m getting anyway. The Disney library is on another level.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Easily the best deal out there, as far as streaming services go!

I used the D23 code at launch to prepay 3 years of the service, locked in at ≈ $3/month- making it a particularly amazing value, but even at the new price… it’s fabulous.
Access to movies while still in theaters, an insane back catalogue of shows & movies, plus the biggest ramp up of top tier original content since the advent of streaming… not surprisingly it is a juggernaut!
That's funny because it's easily the worst for me. I've subscribed to almost every single streaming service trial thinking that I won't find anything to watch but I'm always amazed at how many good shows I find. I cannot say the same for Disney and I never check in with Disney except for when new Mandalorian episodes are available. Every other show I've either seen (as a child) or just don't care at all and I like Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar. Of course I have no kids and I'm getting Disney for free so I have no good reason to check in but I'm surprised that Disney doesn't have more original content.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
NO surprise there !

They've knocked it out of the park !

AAPL, on the other hand, is dumping $5B+ USD per year into AppleTV+ just trying to stay above water !

Unless / Until AAPL goes after Live Sports, they have ZERO chance of their TV service being a success !

Live Sports gives them an opportunity to bring their Camera Tech into the mix, which NONE of the other players could do.

Is Tim Cook wise-enough to see the opportunity ?

Time will tell, but my guess is Nope !

Until further notice, I maintain my D+ "Insight Grade" on Tim Cook !

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
That's funny because it's easily the worst for me. I've subscribed to almost every single streaming service trial thinking that I won't find anything to watch but I'm always amazed at how many good shows I find. I cannot say the same for Disney and I never check in with Disney except for when new Mandalorian episodes are available. Every other show I've either seen (as a child) or just don't care at all and I like Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar. Of course I have no kids and I'm getting Disney for free so I have no good reason to check in but I'm surprised that Disney doesn't have more original content.
Pretty much .. besides mandolorian and the new marvel shows .. I never log into disney +

icwhatudidthere

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2019
NO surprise there !

They've knocked it out of the park !

AAPL, on the other hand, is dumping $5B+ USD per year into AppleTV+ just trying to stay above water !

Unless / Until AAPL goes after Live Sports, they have ZERO chance of their TV service being a success !

Live Sports gives them an opportunity to bring their Camera Tech into the mix, which NONE of the other players could do.

Is Tim Cook wise-enough to see the opportunity ?

Time will tell, but my guess is Nope !

Until further notice, I maintain my D+ "Insight Grade" on Tim Cook !
I read an article somewhere about the problem with streaming live sports. The biggest issue is that it's highly regional and for these streaming companies to get Netflix-size subscription numbers, they need global content. So sports streaming involves high costs and only offers regional subscription increases. Their conclusion was that barring some fundamental changes, sports will not be a major draw.

It kinda makes sense too. Outside of global events like the Olympics, sports are regional. If they get the license for NFL, they can increase US subscription numbers, but that won't translate to global subscriptions. Likewise, if they license a European football league, that will increase European subscriptions, but may not even translate to other soccer playing regions.

Reactions: Darkwalker

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It will take Apple time before they can build up a catalogue. It some high quality shows and movies. The only thing letting it down is the limited number of shows. Their approach is totally different to the likes of Netflix and Disney. They are focusing solely on original content. They shouldn’t be compared. They don’t have a back catalogue to fall back on.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011

I kindly disagree with this, there is a ton of original content on Disney+. You may not be in the target audience but it's there. My kids watch baking shows show and craft shows. There is a show that takes you behind the scenes of Animal Kingdom. I particularly enjoyed The Imagineering Story and Gallery Star Wars: The Mandalorian (behind the scenes of the show).

Plus they have a ton in the pipeline.

Jony Quest

Suspended
Mar 9, 2021
To each their own, of course!

But, based on what you said you like- I’d encourage you to check out the new Obi-Wan Kenobi show, as soon as it comes available.
For Pixar- both Onward & Soul were your standard “feel good” animated family films.
I enjoyed WandaVision immensely & thought it was brave to have the 1st two entire episodes in black and white.

here’s a link to 60+ upcoming originals- hope you find something to look forward to! =)

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I kindly disagree with this, there is a ton of original content on Disney+. You may not be in the target audience but it's there. My kids watch baking shows show and craft shows. There is a show that takes you behind the scenes of Animal Kingdom. I particularly enjoyed The Imagineering Story and Gallery Star Wars: The Mandalorian (behind the scenes of the show).

Plus they have a ton in the pipeline.
I did enjoy the behind the scenes Mandalorian show a lot but for me there's a lot of promise for future original content but not much going on right now.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Glad Disney is doing well. Their catalog is too small and their new stuff too rare. We pay for about 1-2 months a year to catch up.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
If I am not mistaken, Disney will be raising prices at the end of the month. It will be interesting to see if the majority of people pay the increase or cancel service.
It's only going up by $1/mo or $10 for annual plan at the end of March. Not enough of an increase to see a jump in churn #s

Reactions: decypher44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.