Disney Offers First Look at Upcoming Disney+ App, Launching in November for $6.99 Per Month [Update: Will Be Available on Apple Devices]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Disney today shared a first look at its upcoming Disney+ streaming service, providing new details on how it will work and what features will be included.

The dedicated Disney+ app, which will house Disney+ content, looks rather similar to other streaming television apps, such as Apple's own TV app and Netflix.

[​IMG]

The screenshot shared by Disney CEO Bob Iger features a dark interface with individual categories for different Disney franchises, including standard Disney fare, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, and National Geographic, complete with a "Continue Watching" feature and recommendations.

Disney+ content will be available through the Disney+ app on web browsers, smartphones, smart TVs, tablets, and game consoles, essentially everywhere you can watch most streaming services. Deals have already been secured with Roku and Sony for a PS4 version of the app.

Individual profiles for each user in the household will be supported, and Disney plans to allow content to be downloaded for offline viewing. Disney will provide TV shows and movies in 4K HDR.

When Apple launches its TV+ service with its original content this fall and Disney launches Disney+, the two companies are set to become serious competitors, as both services will offer up exclusive content unavailable on other platforms.

[​IMG]

Disney+ will house existing Disney content, but Disney is also developing new content for the streaming service. Some of the announced TV shows include "Falcon and Winter Soldier" based on the two Avengers characters, "WandaVision" with Wanda Maximoff and The Vision, a TV show based on "Monsters, Inc.," a TV show based on "High School Musical," a Frozen 2 documentary, a Star Wars series, a live-action version of "Lady and the Tramp," two projects featuring Marvel characters Loki and Hawkeye, and much more. All Pixar content will be on Disney+ the first year of launch, as will all Pixar theatrical shorts and all Star Wars films.

Disney may also be planning to offer bundled content, perhaps providing a discount for subscribers who purchase Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+, but little detail was provided on Disney's bundling plans.

Disney plans to launch Disney+ on November 12, 2019, and it will be priced at $6.99 per month, which is much lower than other streaming services on the market. Disney is also offering a yearly subscription price of $69.99, which is even cheaper. Disney is planning to roll the service out to many other countries over the course of the next two years.

With its fall launch, Disney+ will be coming out right around the same time that Apple TV+ launches. Apple hasn't provided a specific launch date, but has said that the new streaming service will come out in the fall.

Update: In an interview with Bloomberg, Disney CEO Bob Iger said that the Disney+ app will "in all likelihood be available through traditional app distributors, with Apple being one of them." There was no official announcement Disney about platforms beyond Roku and Sony because Disney hasn't "made deals with all of them yet."

Article Link: Disney Offers First Look at Upcoming Disney+ App, Launching in November for $6.99 Per Month [Update: Will Be Available on Apple Devices]

2. TVreporter macrumors 6502

TVreporter

Damn you Disney teasing with Boba Fett - the one character Star Wars fans have been clamouring for more stories!

I don’t know how anyone will be able to keep up with all these streaming services. This is not saving any money vs. cable!

3. now i see it macrumors 68040

so I'll just get the obvious question out of the way: Who is gunna subscribe to both?

4. EtherealX macrumors newbie

Cable is looking cheaper with all these streaming apps now.

5. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

It’s 2019 and I have zero subscriptions.

I get by and don’t even have cable. These are all more wants than needs.

6. bassrocker204 macrumors member

There's an error, it says $69.99 a month but it should say per year.

7. Intellectua1 macrumors regular

Intellectua1

This will be an automatic day one subscription for me.

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

9. AngerDanger, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Up there! At the top of the article! Is it a Netflix? Is it a Hulu? No, it's…

5cafe1c720152c19834c31ff copy.png

10. Intellectua1 macrumors regular

Intellectua1

I have a total of 7 streaming services, 3 paid (Netflix, Hulu thru Spotify, and Video thru Amazon) and 4 free.

11. FightTheFuture macrumors 65816

FightTheFuture

$6.99 isn't too bad. You can shut off other subs and switch based on your free time.

No Apple TV? weird.

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

No brainer for our family. All of the Disney & Pixar stuff for the kids and I am personally looking forward to the MCU shows. We’ll be in day 1.

13. brendu macrumors 68020

That isn't Boba. Just another Mandalorian. Should be a great show though. For $6.99 Disney just earned me as a subscriber. My kids will use the hell out of this and I plan to watch all the Star Wars content. I was expecting it to be $9.99-14.99.

14. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

I'm sure there will be an Apple TV app, it just wasn't mentioned.

15. jgbr macrumors 6502a

This is getting out of control. Subscriptions for everything.

16. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

I predict piracy will become popular again as consumers grow sick and tired of these subscription services

17. vicviper789 macrumors regular

Yeah....nah....it’s cheaper to make a friend who is a sucker and buys into this garbage

18. chewbaka macrumors member

The retro art and wordmark for STAR WARS on the screen cap is leading me to make largely unsubstantiated claims that they're finally re-releasing the ORIGINAL Original Star Wars Trilogy!

19. coolfactor macrumors 68040

It's possible, but life is also getting "busier", so who has time to watch all these channels and content? Seriously!? Wait.... we all have screens in our pockets, so we can watch anywhere! Damn!

Now, as for Disney going with the "+" naming convention... trying to piggyback off of Apple? (no, Apple did not invent this, I know.... but it's their current convention, so the timing is suspect).

20. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Hopefully they include the classics from the middle of the last century.

21. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So does this include ABC, FX and A&E shows?

22. jasonefmonk macrumors regular

23. iFan macrumors member

VERY attractive service/content and pricing. Half the price of Netflix. Interesting that they don't foresee profitability until 2024.

24. Tech198 macrumors G5

"but there was no mention of the Apple TV."

Ouch !.. deal breaker for me. I would have got excited if it was Apple TV

25. iRutherford macrumors regular

iRutherford

I have this same philosophy. I'll probably just get Apple TV+ when it comes out, but right now, my only subscription is Apple Music.