Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After announcing the discontinuation of the Disney Infinity franchise in May, Avalanche Studios and Disney Interactive Studios -- the game's developer and publisher, respectively -- remained relatively quiet on the specific timeline of the game's imminent demise. After the announcement, Disney still launched three new characters from Alice: Through the Looking Glass, and introduced its first play set with non-bipedal characters, based on Finding Dory.

Today, in an email sent out to fans subscribed to Disney Infinity-related news, the game's team specifically laid out the upcoming timeline of when and what features will be turned off in the coming weeks and months. A few in-game purchase options for Disney Infinity 2.0 have been turned off beginning today, in both the iOS and Apple TV versions of the game, but most of the bigger changes hit on September 30.

Disney-infinity-cancelled.jpg

From that date onwards, users will no longer be able to log into their accounts and play the iOS, Google Android, Amazon Android, and PC editions of any entry in the series, as they "will no longer be available on the respective app stores." This means the game will only be available to play on consoles and Steam, but even there "all online services and community features" will be down.

The end of the timeline shared by Disney Infinity comes next year, on March 3, 2017, where Apple TV and Windows 8/10 versions of both Disney Infinity 2.0 and 3.0 "will no longer be available, supported or playable." That's the termination point for any straggling servers of the game still online as well, since Avalanche Studios will also pull the plug on "all Disney Infinity online services and community features for all versions."
Since announcing that we will discontinue the production of Disney Infinity, we've been exploring timelines for the closure of the game's online versions and community features. Our goal has been to offer extended access to these services, while also providing clear communication about what you can expect.
Although Disney Infinity 3.0 launched on the fourth-generation Apple TV last fall, offering a comparable gaming experience to the console versions, Disney eventually abandoned updating the game on Apple's new set-top box, making fans wired into that version of Disney Infinity 3.0 miss important new features.

Due to the termination of development on tvOS, fans lost the chance to play with new figures that released for the toys-to-life game and weren't included as disc-locked content at launch (the basis of Infinity's gameplay loop), including Baloo from The Jungle Book and a few new Marvel superheroes. Although the Apple TV has received a handful of other, notable gaming apps, Disney and Avalanche's move made it hard to view the fourth-generation device as a true gaming platform, despite Apple's attempts to promote it as such with heavy, App Store-focused messaging.

Disney encourages fans to keep checking the game's official website for updated information on the closures of Infinity's various servers and features as the timeline progresses. There's also a Closing FAQ page on the company's website for any users who don't see answers to their questions regarding the game's discontinuation.

The Disney Infinity team also made two important notes in today's update: firstly, the console version of the game will "continue to operate as usual," even beyond March 2017, with players able to gain full access to the figures and play sets they've amassed over the past three years. Only the social and community aspects of the game will be expectedly absent. Secondly, until September 30, 2016, the game's Community Content will remain available, so players will be able to upload and download Toy Box levels until then.

Article Link: Disney Officially Lays Out Plans for Cessation of 'Disney Infinity' Services

jvanus

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
Games will be slow to develop for the apple tv, mostly due to artificial limitations imposed by apple. Disney probably jumped into the platform too soon with infinity, tho I was glad to see they tried.

Comment

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Infinity = temporary. Noted!

Well it is unfortunate, I have young cousins who love that service, and will no doubt be bummed out to hear about this.

Same I think they'll be very sad. Is there something similar? I guess the closest thing would the Wii U and the Amiibos?

Sadly everyone saw this coming, Disney released "updated" version after version which was of course not backwards compatible and people finally got sick of being charged for each new update again. Ever since Walt Disney gave up the company they've gone down quality and especially storywise. Disney movies are nowadays just pixar stuff with your occasional story twist.

Reactions: spinnyd and Regbial
Comment

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
So Disney has been selling extremely overpriced dolls just for kids to play this game with, and now they are taking the game out for everybody?

Good thing!

Comment

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Same I think they'll be very sad. Is there something similar? I guess the closest thing would the Wii U and the Amiibos?

Sadly everyone saw this coming, Disney released "updated" version after version which was of course not backwards compatible and people finally got sick of being charged for each new update again. Ever since Walt Disney gave up the company they've gone down quality and especially storywise. Disney movies are nowadays just pixar stuff with your occasional story twist.

Skylanders is pretty similar— they both require buying physical characters and I think they have similar gameplay. It does not have the "Disney charm" though of course.

Really strange to see them discontinue it so soon though. I thought it was doing pretty well. My buddy who works at Toys R Us always tells me stories of parents fighting over these characters.

Comment

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Skylanders is pretty similar— they both require buying physical characters and I think they have similar gameplay. It does not have the "Disney charm" though of course.

Really strange to see them discontinue it so soon though. I thought it was doing pretty well. My buddy who works at Toys R Us always tells me stories of parents fighting over these characters.
Gonna look at that thank you but yeah will be hard without the Disney charm.

Comment

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
Games will be slow to develop for the apple tv, mostly due to artificial limitations imposed by apple. Disney probably jumped into the platform too soon with infinity, tho I was glad to see they tried.
I'm not sure how this decision reflects on the Apple TV at all. Seeing as how they closed the whole division. Certainly had nothing to do with the Apple TV.

Comment

MrGimper

macrumors 604
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have no interest in the games, but have a number of the figures on display on a shelf.... hopefully I'll be able to pick up some others on the cheap now.

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's very sad to remove all features like that, and makes me glad I only really bother with primarily-offline games. I can't imagine spending money on games and figures only to have them prematurely switched off. What a damn shame its come to this.

Whenever you go all into a game series like this, especially on mobile devices, just think on with "will I be able to play this years later?" before spending money.

Comment

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
Whenever you go all into a game series like this, especially on mobile devices, just think on with "will I be able to play this years later?" before spending money.

Don't bother, because you won't. Never if, always when, that an update or something else will break the software and if it's been abandoned you're out of luck. Has already happened to me at least a half dozen times now which is why I will never spend another cent on DLC for mobile devices.

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Don't bother, because you won't. Never if, always when, that an update or something else will break the software and if it's been abandoned you're out of luck. Has already happened to me at least a half dozen times now which is why I will never spend another cent on DLC for mobile devices.
Same, I don't bother with mobile apps or games because their longevity is pathetic. Meanwhile I'm currently playing through Pokemon Red on my original Gameboy, and Pokemon White 2 on my 3DS. Both of those have outlasted Disney Infinity.

What made me stop buying iOS apps was the official Pokedex that was released by Gamefreak. I decided to get it for my iPad versus the 3DS version. Now they've pulled it from the app store and I can't even redownload it or the add on content. That, and so many apps were never updated to run on more recent iOS versions. You can't blame the devs because studios come and go. But why is there no legacy support in iOS? Windows and OSX has it.

Reactions: Regbial
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.