Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Disney+ now has 54.5 million subscribers worldwide, a new total announced today during the company's quarterly earnings call.

disney-ios.jpg

That means Disney has gained 4.5 million Disney+ subscribers since April 8, when it said that Disney+ had 50 million subscribers. Disney+ launched in November and has grown to almost $55 million subscribers over the course of the last six months.

Disney's significant growth earlier this year came from launches of the service in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, France, Switzerland, and India, but the service has also seen a boost with everyone sheltering in place and working from home.

54.4 million subscribers is well ahead of Disney's projected figures for the growth of Disney+. When the service launched, Disney estimated that it would see 60 to 90 million subscribers worldwide by the end of 2024, but if the current growth rate keeps up, Disney will hit that goal this year.

Apple has not provided subscriber numbers for Apple TV+, so there's no direct comparison to make to Disney+. Apple has been providing a free year of service to everyone who purchases a new Apple device, so it will take some time before Apple has large numbers of paying subscribers.

Disney+ has a major edge over Apple TV+ because Disney has an established catalog of content along with many popular Star Wars and Marvel franchises to offer. "The Mandalorian," the key show Disney+ premiered with, received more attention than any of Apple TV+'s launch shows, including "The Morning Show," "Dickinson," "See," and "For All Mankind."

Though Disney+ growth is solid, Disney lost about $1 billion in operating income in the March quarter due to the shuttering of its theme parks worldwide, including Disneyland in Anaheim, California and the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida.

Article Link: Disney+ Streaming Service Now Has 54.5 Million Subscribers

Last edited:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
CoVID stay-at-home must have been rocket fuel for Disney (and other streaming services). While Disney is probably badly missing their parks and cruises business now, they can certainly feel lucky on this business. Wonder how this compares to where Apple is at with TV+.

Comment

kiensoy

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
54.5 Million on free trial 😂 they will not be paying for those when this is alll over. I’ve worked in customer service to know they will either contact customer service to report that they have cancelled before the trial ended or they will call the bank to file a dispute 😂😂

They are only giving away 1 month of free trial, unlike Apple that is giving an entire year of AppleTV+ with the purchase of a device. I expect more people cancelling AppleTV+ after their trial than Disney+.

Comment

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Cool story. Disney+ simply doesn't have enough original content worthy of adults. It's kid stuff and teenager fare. Not a mature service at all. That whole "Apple aversion to graphic content" seems to have been a typo, because clearly Disney is guilty of that, not Apple.
[automerge]1588719692[/automerge]
This isn't surprising. Hell, they have all the good (or popular) stuff. Lol. I still need to sign up for it.
They have one show that was popular, The Mandalorian. In 8 months. I suggest you sign up and see just how little the service actually has to offer adults.

Comment

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
They are only giving away 1 month of free trial, unlike Apple that is giving an entire year of AppleTV+ with the purchase of a device. I expect more people cancelling AppleTV+ after their trial than Disney+.
Except Disney doesn't have exciting original content (besides their Marvel and Star Wars series, which aren't showing up for a year). Apple continues to pump out good stuff. That's the key difference there.

Comment

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Cool story. Disney+ simply doesn't have enough original content worthy of adults. It's kid stuff and teenager fare. Not a mature service at all. That whole "Apple aversion to graphic content" seems to have been a typo, because clearly Disney is guilty of that, not Apple.
[automerge]1588719692[/automerge]

They have one show that was popular, The Mandalorian. In 8 months. I suggest you sign up and see just how little the service actually has to offer adults.
I'm not referring to new shows (or original content), I'm talking about stuff like Home Alone 2, Frozen, Toy Story, all the Avenger movies...Disney+ catalog alone is sickening.

Comment

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
I'm not referring to new shows (or original content), I'm talking about stuff like Home Alone 2, Frozen, Toy Story, all the Avenger movies...Disney+ catalog along is sickening.
OK. If you like re-watching shows from your childhood or have been living under a rock for the last 20 years. I have seen these in theaters and on DVD many times. I can't get excited about old content.

Comment

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Way better content on Disney+ than Apple TV at the moment. I have a year free with Apple and 99% sure I'm not renewing it when that expires around the Sep/Oct time. No issues paying for Disney+ though and already made my first monthly payment.
*"Way better family/child content on Disney+"
Not, "way better content for adults or serious dramas, adult comedy."

Comment

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Very subjective. The Mandalorian is not better than The Morning Show or Servant. Unless you're a Star Wars person, or just prefer Mando.

What is good on every streaming service is subjective. I tried the Morning Show and found it boring as hell (and I like the actors in it). The new movies not showing up for a year is kind of annoying and I expect that changes in the future as license deals expire. I get both services free for a year. At the end of the year I'll pay for Disney, but unless Apple keeps giving free years when I buy devices or substantially ups their game for shows I find interesting, I'll be cancelling. But others will clearly feel differently.

Comment

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2004
What is good on every streaming service is subjective. I tried the Morning Show and found it boring as hell (and I like the actors in it). The new movies not showing up for a year is kind of annoying and I expect that changes in the future as license deals expire. I get both services free for a year. At the end of the year I'll pay for Disney, but unless Apple keeps giving free years when I buy devices or substantially ups their game for shows I find interesting, I'll be cancelling. But others will clearly feel differently.
The jacob show is good, but I hear ya, apple tv is lame. Disney plus is the clear winner.

Comment

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal

We have a year free but that's because we bought a new TV and it was a deal offered with that.... I won't pay for disney+ at the end of the free year nor will i pay for appleTV+.... neither offer anything at this time i'm willing to pay for.

Comment

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
An example of a real streaming service.
[automerge]1588721848[/automerge]
54.5 Million on free trial 😂 they will not be paying for those when this is alll over. I’ve worked in customer service to know they will either contact customer service to report that they have cancelled before the trial ended or they will call the bank to file a dispute 😂😂
From 9to5 Mac:

Here’s how Disney’s three streaming services break down in terms of paying subscribers, as of March 28.

• Disney+: 33.5 million
  • Hulu: 32.1 million
    • SVOD Only: 28.8 million
    • Live TV + SVOD: 3.3 million
  • ESPN+: 7.9 million

Last edited:
Comment

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Disney+ has been a hit wit my kids, 15, 20 & 24, my mid-70yo parents, and me as the 50yo. I got a great 3y pricing deal, but it by far is worth the mere $7/mo for us. I really liked the ‘morning show once I got into the first episodes. We have it free with device purchase(s? Did we just get it extended with the iPad we bought?). I’m not sure I will pay for it - most likely won’t.

The back catalog is great, the 15yo happily worked her way thru cringe worthy Zach & Cody & others - her childhood as she called it. Whatever floats her boat and I didn’t have to hear it this time!

Honestly, if I weren’t getting Netflix free from T-Mobile I’d consider cancelling it. I don’t think we are getting as much out of it - especially when we can get it for a month and binge watch what is new. Much like I cancelled hulu because no one was watching it. We’d all probably watch CBS, but they irk me so not paying that right now. I’m supposed to get Peacock free, but Comcast has some lousy hoops so nope. I will not rent a modem from you for a “free’ streaming box. Give me an Apple TV app please.

I totally get that Disney+ won’t appeal to everyone - that is why there are 3 gazillion choices these days.

Comment

BC2009

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2009
I’ve enjoyed Disney+ immensely since signing up. I went for the 3-year promotional deal which works out to less than $4 per month.

The final season of Clone Wars just concluded and was fantastic. Loved the Mandalorian. I’m really liking that movies that I would normally shell out $20 for release on Disney+ only a few weeks after digital iTunes release. Also, I can catch up on stuff I never saw in theatres — and their Artemis Fowl movie is now skipping theatrical release and going straight to Disney+.

Then they have a bunch of stuff for the kids and up to seven profiles and 4 concurrent screens.

A bunch more direct-to-streaming content is dropping this summer and fall. After my 3-year promotional deal is up I am betting the direct-to-streaming content production will be in high gear. It’s kinda hard to call it “original content” since it is all 100% Disney-owned/created content. (I.e.: if Netflix had a theatrical release like The Irishman and then went to streaming it is still “original content” — Disney can count that for just about every movie they release now).

Given Disney’s creative chops and the brands they own, I see this (combo’d with Hulu for those who want grittier shows) will be the must-have streaming service. I think Netflix is in trouble because all the studios are going with their own streaming services and that leaves Netflix to original content which is very expensive when the only revenue stream is monthly subscriptions.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.