Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Well, whatever, Disney+ will probably launch across the EU on March 31st (along with the aforementioned countries). The actual Disney statement refers to more countries to be announced soon. MacRumors didn't report accurately and I only read this article title and first paragraph, which are deceiving. As a hint at it, Marvel UK & Ireland official Twitter says "Disney+ available in the UK & Ireland on March 31, 2020".

Last edited:
Reactions: AidenL

FamVR

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2019
The Netherlands was used as a Beta testing country due to popular demand and great infrastructure, and to enable support for the Ziggo (Global Liberty) Horizon XL and Next boxes (In development).

By the way. The Samsung Smart TV’s are now also supported and Philips TV’s will be next ;)

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
All these different streaming services now. suddenly cable seems cheaper and simpler.

Not at all. You simply subscribe to the streaming service that interests you! Amazon Prime at £59 per year, then Netflix etc FAR FAR FAR cheaper than cable at £40+ a month.

AND no contracts - try each one for 1 month and cancel OR have all for the Christmas holidays. I think that it's wonderful. Pay a tiny amount for one that appeals to you.

For me, I subscribe to The Surfing Network at £45 for the year and Garage Extreme Sports at £33 a year! INCREDIBLE!

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
In these days I don't watch anything apart from Live Sports ( Football). DAZN covers almost every major european Football league & Champions league so I don't bother with streaming services anymore.

DAZN is a god sent for sports viewer.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
"Content may vary by territory"

WHY DISNEY?! YOU OWN THE F*****G RIGHTS OF EVERYTHING!

See, this is why people continue to download movies and shows illegally, because the legal alternatives are just half baked.

I would like to apologize for my outburst.
It's called distribution rights. Disney may own the films/tv shows, but they may have signed-over the distribution rights to other vendors. Each country worldwide has to be considered, and prior to the maturation of digital streaming, this was either impossible or impractical. So, for example, Netflix may offer to buy the rights for countries X, Y, and Z for five years for a certain fee, and some other distributor may offer to buy the rights for countries U and V, smaller, more difficult markets, for ten. This would have all happened before they had solid plans to launch their own service. They have to wait until those contracts expire before bringing distribution back in-house, or they face legal action from the company or even the country.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Not at all. You simply subscribe to the streaming service that interests you! Amazon Prime at £59 per year, then Netflix etc FAR FAR FAR cheaper than cable at £40+ a month.

AND no contracts - try each one for 1 month and cancel OR have all for the Christmas holidays. I think that it's wonderful. Pay a tiny amount for one that appeals to you.

For me, I subscribe to The Surfing Network at £45 for the year and Garage Extreme Sports at £33 a year! INCREDIBLE!

Yep. Except I don’t pay for a year of something. Just do a month here and there on various.

Amazon is continuous for me (prime shipping). That’s the only one. Apple could have the same if they could sweeten the deal. I think they will but they’re still figuring it out. For me it’d have to involve AppleCare plus on all devices (family sharing as well) or something for an annual prime like fee. Wouldn’t that encourage you to buy Apple devices?

But yeah. Make it about something else and price doesn’t matter much. You never really see people griping about the cost of amazon prime video. They quickly say oh it’s about shipping though.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I mean there’s no need to subscribe to all of them.

Exactly. My wife and I only subscribe to streaming services that fit what we generally watch. There is no need to subscribe to every single available service -- unless you're quite wealthy.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
All these different streaming services now. suddenly cable seems cheaper and simpler.

Suddenly, torrenting became the more affordable option again for millions of people.

Or one could also just take a dog for a walk again, when it's not raining. Or go have a beer with the neighbors, do some good old fashioned socializing (I know, that's not an American thing, it's one of those weird habits we have in Europe...).

Reactions: apolloa

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum

The problem this streaming services will hit outside the us: NO ONE outside the us was paying such insane tv fees.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Suddenly, torrenting became the more affordable option again for millions of people.

Or one could also just take a dog for a walk again, when it's not raining. Or go have a beer with the neighbors, do some good old fashioned socializing (I know, that's not an American thing, it's one of those weird habits we have in Europe...).
I seem to walk the dog in the rain too :rolleyes: little bugger gives you those sad eyes and bam out you go hahaha

better then watching telly though that’s for sure.
[automerge]1573238898[/automerge]
The problem this streaming services will hit outside the us: NO ONE outside the us was paying such insane tv fees.

Skys full package can run you about £100 a month, so £1200 a year or what about $1700 a year? So I’m not sure about what you say as being true.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden

See, this is why people continue to download movies and shows illegally, because the legal alternatives are just half baked.

They own the rights yes, but they might have sold the rights to local companies. Here in Sweden (who's not getting Disney+ at all) one company has the streaming rights to all Marvel movies, and contracts like that may extend beyond 2020.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
They own the rights yes, but they might have sold the rights to local companies. Here in Sweden (who's not getting Disney+ at all) one company has the streaming rights to all Marvel movies, and contracts like that may extend beyond 2020.

Excuse me but how do you know Sweden is not getting Disney+ "at all"?
[automerge]1573244487[/automerge]
If you watch the video posted on Disney+ Twitter page they say "Disney+ is coming to the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, to name a few. Start streaming March 31". Also, as I pointed out above, Marvel UK & Ireland said on Twitter that the service will launch in the UK and in Ireland on March 31. I think this is suggestive of the service launching across Europe on that date.

Last edited:

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
spain? i mean seriously? no disrespect but if you look at marvel movie earnings mexico is like in the top 5 countries in movie ticket sales

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

Because other companies have paid for the right to broadcast. these contracts need to expire first.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Unless you are a teenager, there is no point in subscribing to this service. Just a bunch of chest-bumping superhero overproduced garbage shows and films. I will stay with Netflix, thank you very much.

Netflix content is garbage. waste of money at this point.....

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
Unless you are a teenager, there is no point in subscribing to this service. Just a bunch of chest-bumping superhero overproduced garbage shows and films. I will stay with Netflix, thank you very much.
Every family on earth will subscribe to Disney+. That’s a big market enough and they won’t care if you’re not a subscriber.

idktbh

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2018
The Netherlands was used as a Beta testing country due to popular demand and great infrastructure, and to enable support for the Ziggo (Global Liberty) Horizon XL and Next boxes (In development).

By the way. The Samsung Smart TV’s are now also supported and Philips TV’s will be next ;)
no, it was used simply because its non existent tv infrastructure. nobody had Disney rights over there.

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
So to watch the Mandalorian on release, my options are subscribe to the US service via VPN, or if that doesn't work, piracy. Great job, Disney.

VPN Won’t work. I’ve tried. Actually VPN probably will work if you can find one fast enough that won‘t be shut out in 5 mixtures.... but you need a registered address and payment form from that country. I have various US cards... but UK addresses and it didn’t work - they are more stringent on the Sign up than others.

Reactions: nickgovier
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.