Displayport to HDMI dissappointment

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prism, May 15, 2010.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

Just tried out the Dr. Bott displayport to HDMI II adapter and I get absolutely no sound despite manufacturer claims to the contrary. What has your experience been?

2. furious macrumors 65816

furious

have you changed the settings in system prefs?

3. rikscha macrumors 6502a

I bought a mini displayport to hdmi cable from china (ebay) for £8 incl shipping and it works flawlessly. i really love it. the downside is, you cant have your macbook opened and have 1080p displayed on your plasma tv. for 1080p on your tv you need to close your macbook (clamshell mode).

also to get sound over your tv you have to change your audio output settings.

4. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

What settings? If u r referring to audio output, the only option I have is the internal speakers!

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

If you have one of these

you will have no audio, unless you have a very new (less than a few months) computer

from Griffin's mini display to HDMI

you need something like this if you want multichannel sound, or this if stereo is fine.

6. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess you didnt see my signature, I have a core i5 MBP and its the Dr. Bott connector that does NOT work!

7. autumnmike macrumors member

One of two things. Either the dr Bott doesn't work or there is a bug with your computer. Sooo spend 10-20 on anew adanter return the old one. Or exchane your MacBook. Pretty painless. Maybee a firmware update may help in the future.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Do a search. There is a huge thread on this topic discussing which adapters work and which ones do not. There are a lot of older adapters that will not support audio on the new MBPs despite their sellers saying otherwise.

FWIW I have found the Griffin and OWC (macsales.com) adapter to work 100% w/ audio and video.

9. felixelgato macrumors member

felixelgato

Griffin

I have the Griffin adapter and it works beautifully:D... video and sound...

10. trondah macrumors 6502

11. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? Why is that?

12. machiabelly macrumors newbie

There is some minor configuration that needs to be done after the cable is plugged in to turn on the Audio output through the MiniDP:

1. Open "System Preferences" on your Mac, open the "Sound" option in the "Hardware" category.
    2. Click on the "Output" tab and change selection from "Internal Speakers Built-in Output" to "Built-in HDMI Output ".
    3. Open the "Displays" option in the "Hardware" category to select the appropriate display resolution and arrangement setting.

I purchased the Moshi cable and it works just fine for audio.

13. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, thanks, but what do you do when there is no "Built-in HDMI Output" to select?

14. spacefrodo macrumors newbie

exactly the same over here, brand new i5 and brand new Dr.Bott 2 ...but no sound output...

i read somewhere else that we're not alone on this and that Dr. Bott acknowledges some problems, the guy basically called them and he was promised a new cable at the end of the month...

i'm sure there are others?

comments?

15. spacefrodo macrumors newbie

16. jcsaladino macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I bought a mdp to hdmi from amazon and i can't get audio out either. I don't even have an option in the system prefs > audio > output to switch to hdmi out or anything. all it says is internal speakers.

http://amzn.to/cMGX6Y

17. braggbear macrumors newbie

Solution?

I have the same problem. When I go to System Preferences->Sounds->Output, the only option I have is the Internal Speakers - Built-in Output option. There is no Built-In HDMI option.

I bought my macbook pro in June 2010. Should I have this option? If so, how can I access it?

18. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

If you bought a 2010 model then yes it will work.

Though the adapter must support audio for this to work.

*Make sure you pay attention to steps 1+2 or else the settings won't show up*

Here's the step by step process I went through.

1. Connect the HDMI cable and the MDP Adapter to your TV and Macbook Pro.
    2. Turn on your TV.
    3. Open "System Preferences" on your Mac, open the "Sound" option in the "Hardware" category.
    4. Click on the "Output" tab and change selection from "Internal Speakers Built-in Output" to "Built-in HDMI Output ".
    5. Open the "Displays" option in the "Hardware" category to select the appropriate display resolution and arrangement setting.
    6. Once configured, you should be able to feed both video and audio streams to your TV.

Enjoy

19. TreborM macrumors member

Three things are needed for this to work...

Well, everybody seem to forgot about the third party: TV or whatever you are trying to connect your MBP to. The problem could be there...

I would take the cable and MBP to a family member/friend/TV shop and try it on something else preferably something relatively new.
    Try to Google/MRoogle for people's experience with your particular TV.

What is the make/model/spec of the display you are trying to use?
    What is the detailed specification of the HDMI port you trying to use?

I have vague memory that some TVs do not offer sound on every HDMI
    connector, have you consulted user manual for yourTV?

Hope this helps.

20. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

All HDTV HDMI ports will carry audio, just a fact of life. Well unless they are faulty but that's not likely.

The adapters on the other hand can be iffy especially when some of them are not designed to carry audio. Not surprising since the 2010 models are the first to do so, not all manufacturers are up to date and/or are selling off the old stock.

21. braggbear macrumors newbie

Works now

Thank you for your help. Turns out I had the wrong cable. When I first went to the apple store, they said i needed a HDMI to DVI cable as well as the adapter. The next day when I went in and said the sound wasn't working they then told me I just needed a HDMI cable and the adapter.

Long story short, I couldn't see Built-in HDMI option on my system preferences because i didn't have the right cable. Sound now works!

22. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

And what brand cable do you have?

23. braggbear macrumors newbie

I'm not sure which HDMI cable I have since I just had it laying around my closet. I think it might be Monster.

The adapter is a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter from Moshi. $35 bucks at apple store. I know there are cheaper ones you can find online.

I have a 2010 macbook.

24. ajy, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

ajy macrumors newbie

Sorry to bring back an old thread as a first timer, but I have been asking myself this very same question and having very few results. I have the Moshi adapter and the video works beautifully, however the audio is non existent. I have gone through the audio steps in the system preferences but there is no "Built-in HDMI Output" option to be found. Please help

Also if it helps, I have a 2008(i think) MacBook Pro OS 10.5.8