Displays for 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Now in Production

[DL]

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Louisiana
So, any guesses? I can see this having the same processor but a lesser graphics card and possibly less RAM. This is what I've been waiting for. I hope to God that the base price isn't ridiculous.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
The rMBP cost kicker is driven more by the SSD than the screen.

A 13" rMBP taken down the same path is really just an rMBA. Call it $100 premium over equivalently spec'ed MBA, tops.

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
<snip>If Apple didn't already come out with the "next gen" 15 rMBP with SSD, thin form, ect, I might have agreed, but clearly Apple is moving their next gen line to all SSD.
I disagree in one respect. I do not think all of the next gen MBPs will or should use only SSDs for mass storage. The price is not right as yet. I think some models will use only SSDs and other may use a relatively small SSD as the boot drive and a rotating drive for data. That offers a more cost effective balance for most users.

In particular, the SSD should be a PCIe based drive, not a SATA based drive for improved performance.

Cheers

CausticPuppy

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2012
Well it will be Ivy Bridge of course, so 4000.

But doesn't the problems with the performance of the GPU in the 15" rMBP concern you? There's no way they will put a better GPU inside the 13" without refreshing the 15" version.
The HD4000 won't have any problems driving a 13" retina display. It has just over 10% more pixels than a 27" thunderbolt display, and even an older HD3000 is fine with a tbolt display.

----------

[DL];15584743 said:
So, any guesses? I can see this having the same processor but a lesser graphics card and possibly less RAM. This is what I've been waiting for. I hope to God that the base price isn't ridiculous.
Probably same processors and RAM options as current 13" macbook pro models. Same GPU (HD4000).

The difference will be standard SSD, the retina screen, thinner design, and iFixit will complain about it a lot.

[DL]

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Louisiana
Probably same processors and RAM options as current 13" macbook pro models. Same GPU (HD4000).

The difference will be standard SSD, the retina screen, thinner design, and iFixit will complain about it a lot.
That doesn't seem like it would be too expensive.

El Salvador

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
NL Yo
Now this is all speculation of course, but could someone tell us more about the odds that Apple will bring out this 13" rMBP in October (this year)?
We know they started production of the screens already so how fast after production are they able to bring this thing on the market?

In parallel to the 15" rMBP: how long did it take to bring the 15" rMBP on the market after they started the production of the 15" screens?